REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #76
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Anyways, back to retake my thread. With the C63, what are the differences that are significant over the model years? Like if I picked up an 08 or 09, what would I be missing out on vs a 10/11/12?
Your comparison should be between 08/09/10/11 not 12, 12 had major changes($$$)
Quote:
Someone earlier said to avoid the p31 package on the older cars? What's the URL for the c63 forum?
Posted via RS Mobile
C63 AMG (W204) - MBWorld.org Forums

And its the p30 package, mainly because the suspension is too stiff for some...
Also I believe the 09 & earlier cars had folding mirrors as an option which was later discontinued.
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #77
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Someone earlier said to avoid the p31 package on the older cars? What's the URL for the c63 forum?
Posted via RS Mobile
Maybe because the older ones didn't have CF trunk spoiler or Red Brake calipers.. not too sure I think it started on the 2010 models. Anyways that P31 package is like 9 grand for the parts I just mentioned and better/lighter internal parts which results in an additional 30 bhp. However many owners from the C63 forum states that the 30 bhp bonus is underrated, it feels much faster than Mbenz says. If you're gonna track your car and want that performance then go for the 2010 P31s, its worth it and it's probably a good price right now too since the 2012's are out.
C63jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #78
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

The p30 package has:
- rock hard suspension
- compound brakes
- lsd

This package was only available on 08,09 models.

The p31 package ha:
-lighter internals
- ecu retune
- cf trim
- the compound brakes with red paint.

LSD comes as an extra $2000 option from factory on
'10+ models.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #79
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ are you serious LSD is optional. So the majority of C63s out there are one wheel wonders? that is completely stupid that they would stuff a 450hp 6.2L V8 without a lsd.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
^ are you serious LSD is optional. So the majority of C63s out there are one wheel wonders? that is completely stupid that they would stuff a 450hp 6.2L V8 without a lsd.
I would tend to agree, to be fair the car does have an electronic diff which attempts to match wheel rotation by braking. The only two rationales I can see for Mercedes opting to not include a stock LSD is to purposely weaken the car from factory, and/or to keep costs down as it was intended to be an entry level AMG.

For example:
- the M156 6.2L V8 in the c63 only opens its throttle 50% vs its larger siblings whose power plants are nearly identical. As such, most ecu tunes simply open the throttle to 82% which is what its set at in the larger e63,s63,cls,cl63 of the previous generation. Additional power is found in opening the throttle to 100% and adjusting some other engine characteristics.

- The tire selection on the c63 comes with 235/18 fronts and 255/18 rears, which is in my opinion, insufficient for putting down power from a dig. Considering even with the stock rear fenders you can easily run 275's in the rear without rubbing.

However, that being said in tcs sport or tcs full on the e-diff does a good job and keeping both wheels going. The big difference is in the handling characteristics of the car as it feels more neutral. Without the LSD spirited driving usually elicits a feeling that the rear wheels are trying to swing through the front of the car.

Having run my c63 for a few years without lsd and a tune, the differences after running wider tires in the rear, Eurocharged v3 tune and Quaife LSD install are night and day. The car happily pulls through corners and full on slides can be controlled with a few dabs of opposite lock.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #81

^ thxs for the insights on the C63...sounds like you did the proper upgrades to really enjoy the beast......for mercedes, c'mon man e diff on your AMG products? I totally understand using E diffs on basic MB models but on a performance model? that is being pennywise and pound poor.....having a mechanical LSD or AWD is a must for a car with over 400 lbs ft of torque.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 12-07-2011, 09:24 AM   #82
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomelon View Post

rare major issues:
-I know jeffield mak's car pretty much had to get the entire engine replaced. I can't speak for him personally, but from what I believe it was due to the fact that he removed all the cats and as a result the o2 sensors paired with his oe tuning chip likely sent some bad timing/air fuel info to the engine. Be forewarned, if your engine blows to have it replaced new from factory including labor,it will cost you easily $50 000, which is another possible reason mercedes transitioned into the new 5.4 v8tts.
Jeffeild's motor blew due to terminal misfire. A known issue on all the m156 motors. He had all the symptoms and the vehicle was diagnosed with it long before his engine gave out. The dealership refused to do anything about it and blamed the tune. We flashed it back to stock and the misfire was still there, codes and all. It was intermittent and soon after, his piston went missing...

To Iceman, the c63 is a solid car but what a lot of people don't realize is its an expensive car and parts for expensive cars are not cheap. We work on a ton of these cars because we are one of a couple independent shops that has access to the Mercedes Star Diagnostic. I couldn't tell you how many customers come in here and cry about how their brakes cost more than their civics are so expensive. BTW i have a near brand new set of KW V3 coilovers with your name on it..
Old 12-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #83
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
back to the CTS-V then.

jizz in my pants, hell she can be in a Civic I'll still jizz in my pants. j/k lol

but CTS-V is totally the car to have it's not anywhere nearly as common as the C63 parts are cheap with almost anything off a ZR1 bolt up to it and faster than whatever you were thinking of. Real 6 speed because real men drive stick.

Only choice you have if you want a wagon in Canada, that's a smart move:

Interior is not too shabby either for the ongoing gen:

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 12-07-2011 at 10:06 AM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSpeedSyndicate View Post
Jeffeild's motor blew due to terminal misfire. A known issue on all the m156 motors. He had all the symptoms and the vehicle was diagnosed with it long before his engine gave out. The dealership refused to do anything about it and blamed the tune. We flashed it back to stock and the misfire was still there, codes and all. It was intermittent and soon after, his piston went missing...

To Iceman, the c63 is a solid car but what a lot of people don't realize is its an expensive car and parts for expensive cars are not cheap. We work on a ton of these cars because we are one of a couple independent shops that has access to the Mercedes Star Diagnostic. I couldn't tell you how many customers come in here and cry about how their brakes cost more than their civics are so expensive. BTW i have a near brand new set of KW V3 coilovers with your name on it..
Damn, I can't believe I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me about the terminal misfire. As far as I know though, I haven't seen many blown m156s other than Jeffields and the guy down in the states with the class action lawsuit which he dropped.

Terminal miss-fire issue....again - MBWorld.org Forums

From what I've read, reflashing back to stock will not resolve the terminal misfire after it has manifested itself. It seems that the issue can be resolved either by simply switching to a colder spark plug or replacing the O2 sensors. Since I haven't had any issues yet, I'm thinking of pre-emptively picking up a set of plugs just in case.

In terms of the KW V3s, not sure if you were addressing me or Iceman haha. It's tempting but I'm planning on some light weight aftermarket wheels next year along with some two piece open slot rotors first .
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #85
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^ jeez american top gear is still terrible and the cts-v coupe is really ugly
supman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #86
Banned (ABWS)

That is why I recommend the wagon...so sick.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #87
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
I wouldn't get the coupe or the wagon. I'd get a 4 door out of the us of I had to. I guess I have some test driving and comparing to do this spring....
Posted via RS Mobile
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #88
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Well, I have done some looking around, the M5 has really grown on me.....Not sure what to do now!! I am thinking of going with the M5......would you get the 6 spd manual or the 7 spd auto?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #89
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Well, I have done some looking around, the M5 has really grown on me.....Not sure what to do now!! I am thinking of going with the M5......would you get the 6 spd manual or the 7 spd auto?
Do you have access to longer stretches of road, cuz that is where the M5 shines, at the higher triple digit speeds. Such as longer highways and such, because it does not offer that low end grunt of the c63; that is useful at the lower speeds and around town where you cant safely reach speeds of 100+km/h, but it pushing you back into the seat is addicting none the less. The c63 is a beast throughout the powerband, regardless of if you start from a dig or a rolling highway start. In regards to the m5 tranny you said this is going to be more of a weekend toy, so I would personally go with a 6 speed manual. Also are we talking about this previous gen e60 m5 or the new f10 chassis?(Im guessing previous gen e60).
Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #90

Quote:
I have smg on my 08. If I only drove the m5 i would get the 6 sp. My wife likes the auto mode though. 6 sp is obviously more fun, but the v10 was developed in conjuction with the 7 sp smg. The 6 sp was an after thought.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 PM   #91

Quote:
Congrats on coming over to the dark side! E60 m5 have been dropping in price lately. 08-10 c63s are similar in price to 07-08 m5. From a performance value standpt the m5 is great value. Make sure you buy one under warranty.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R