REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Looking for C63 AMG owners

I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my truck in the spring, and getting one. Was thinking 09/10, as I don't know if I can justify spending 80k on a car....yet I can on a truck, so it's not out of the question. Just looking for opinions from owners about their cars. Issues, likes, dislikes, etc. was also thinking about the RS6, but I have love the look and sound of the C63 since I first saw one. Thanks guys!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:03 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I don't own a C63, yet I can say if you like trucks then AMG is the way to go. AMG is consistently reviewed as the muscle car of the Audi RS/BMW M trio. Lots of power and torque, quick off the line - yet like a truck, not as good in the twisties as the other 2.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

JEFFIELD MAK! scraping like a bitch
TRD Rs200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
I know owners who gets around 250kms on a tank of gas
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
but you can't argue with this

AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
^
Old 12-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Meow

c63 amg coupe =
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my truck in the spring, and getting one. Was thinking 09/10, as I don't know if I can justify spending 80k on a car....yet I can on a truck, so it's not out of the question. Just looking for opinions from owners about their cars. Issues, likes, dislikes, etc. was also thinking about the RS6, but I have love the look and sound of the C63 since I first saw one. Thanks guys!
Posted via RS Mobile
or this

c63amg and getting decent gas mileage....not in the same sentence especially with that 6.2L v8..this thing is thirsty, so expect to be filling up quite a bit, especially if you can't keep your foot off the go pedal
Its a great car, has lots of power that you have to be careful with it in the rain in the sense that if you punch it from a dig you will get sideways reallll quick...but with that said it will drive like any other car if you want it to, don't push down the accelerator more than half way and its perfectly tame...
In regards to any issues, there aren't really many, cam position sensor is one floating around the interwebs, the motor is pretty bulletproof, no issues with the tranny unless you plan on tracking it hard
Also its not the greatest in the snow so it would be best if you had a winter vehicle, BUT you can drive it in the snow with winter tires, as many people do down south and on the east coast, I'm not saying its impossible...but winter tires is a must

O and don't forget about maintenance/insurance, it is not cheap so do your research before purchasing...definitely more costly than any truck, and I didn't know they had rs6's here in North America (at least not the newer gens)
I know c63jai on here is also an owner, maybe he'll chime in or pm him
Old 12-04-2011, 10:48 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Just go to a bbt tea place at night and ask the honger kid with a c63 what they feel about their parent's car.
ree666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

When you purchase a car like C63 , bmw M5 ....

the least of your worries is gas when you have the money to fork out for a 70-90g car.

You have to pay to play.
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Böse ///M

love the car, went to dealerships to work on deals quite a few times.
at the last, i just could not imagine 250km per tank gas mileage.
it would be a great weekend downtown shopping cart, but never a daily commuter.
AKUMA_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #12
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
^

i get 240 km out of a 65L tank

edit: mostly city driving though
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Böse ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
^

i was close though
AKUMA_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I usually get about 350kms a tank. But if I had to do it all over again I would still go for a c63, its somewhat understated, but when called upon you can hoon to your heart's content. Certainly the handling isn't as crisp as say the e92 m3, but the c63 isn't exactly a slouch in the corners either, and to me at least has an unmistakable character.

So far only big issue I encountered was an issue when the car was below half a tank sometimes the fuel wouldn't transfer properly but after getting the fuel pumps replaced no problems at all.

Minor issues: squeaky folding mirrors replaced under warranty. The nappa leather while soft to the touch can wear down if not treated properly. This issue primarily shows up on the front seat bolsters when entering exiting the car.

The car loves to eat oil, as I assume it uses the oil to create a protective barrier to line the cylinders expect to at least top off your oil every half a year with 5w40. Service costs in general for regular maintenance are somewhere in the order of 600-1000 a year depending on if its a major or minor service.

rare major issues:
-I know jeffield mak's car pretty much had to get the entire engine replaced. I can't speak for him personally, but from what I believe it was due to the fact that he removed all the cats and as a result the o2 sensors paired with his oe tuning chip likely sent some bad timing/air fuel info to the engine. Be forewarned, if your engine blows to have it replaced new from factory including labor,it will cost you easily $50 000, which is another possible reason mercedes transitioned into the new 5.4 v8tts.

-Josh the driver of the evosport widebody "silver dragon" had to replace his entire transmission as it blew due to repeated brake stands and hard launches. If i recall correctly it cost him about 9grand.

-There was a tsb which affected earlier c63s where the headgaskets would have to be replaced, but for the most part the majority of the c63 community has not had any problems with this.

However, that being said, the m156 powerplant has been mostly flawless save for a fruitless class action lawsuit that fizzled, there are c63s running around with 140 000+kms and still going strong. Currently there are a number of 6.2v8s running weistec superchargers pumping out around 670whp with no issues. Obviously its early on right now but the 6.2L v8 is a pretty stout engine.

Complaints: Since the car runs some funny offsets, its quite difficult to find a wheel that will exhibit nice concavity. Some wheel manufacturers like adv or forgestar have gotten some decent setups but for the most part I find the stock wheels are more aesthetically pleasing than most aftermarket wheel offerings due to the big positive offsets merc runs in the c63.

-When tracking, when driven hard in M mode the car has a tendency to go into limp mode due to the transmission protecting itself from overheating. This can be remedied with the installation of a transmission cooler, but for everyday use, including hard spirited driving, the c63 is unflappable.

General Impressions/recommendations:

As for the car itself a limited slip diff and chip really wake the car up. Currently I'm running a eurocharged v3 chip puportedly puts out roughly 520-540hp on 94 octane and a quaife torison lsd. Granted the car isn't going to carve up any mountain roads, but it handles well, easy to control slides and the steering is highly communicative.

Another word of advice if you do decide on a c63, swap off the terrible pirelli pzeros asap. Certainly their grip and characteristics are great when new, but they die easily within 10 000kms or less. Currently I'm running Michelin SuperSports 235 fronts 265 rears but you can fit up to 275s/285s in the rear depending on the tire brand you purchase. Wider tires in the rears will definately help your off the line grip.

To sum up likes:
-the raw punch you in the face feeling the c63 can call upon at a moments notice,
-the cold startup engine note and how it sounds at full bore.
-the form hugging front seats
-the steering feel
-somewhat more practical (although fitting 5 fully grown adults into a c63 is not a comfortable proposition)

I hope my brief summary has helped.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

That was very informative, thank you very much turbomelon. What year is your c63?. As for the rest of you, I literally had to go back and re-read my initial post. I never ONCE mentioned gas mileage. Why did 5 people immediately tell me it was a bad idea because of gas mileage? People on here can be retarded.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #16
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
^woah chill out bro, you did ask for a advice on a car, hence gas mileage was mentioned as part of an informative advice
if you are so irritated enough to call people retarded for mentioning gas mileage, then you should have just mentioned in your original post that its your least concern

p.s: no one even said it was neccessarily a 'bad' idea strictly due to the gas mileage..
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #17
Banned By Establishment

I asked about the car, I never mentioned gas mileage. I wasn't asking about a corolla or a civic, I'm asking about a merc with a huge gas guzzling engine.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-05-2011, 02:39 AM   #18
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Had a few AMG sedans before, both naturally aspirated and supercharged Problem is that if you want to go somewhere quickly, with our often wet roads, they don't have enough traction and you end up spinning your wheels not going anywhere, seeing the yellow triangle (traction control light) flashing.

Perfectly safe, but just not very efficient when you need to pass.

I find it easier to go fast in city driving with a E550 4Matic than a E63 or E55. The AMGs really shine in the dry, especially on the highway. Nice and quiet yet super fast. Perfect for LA but I'm not as convinced they are that much fun in Pacific NW.

Great effortless speed, but not enough traction. If I were to go for another one of these high powered cars in Vancouver, I would look for AWD. But did I mention I love the interior of the AMGs, the nappa leather smells so nice...
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

I live in Kelowna, no where near as much rain as van.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 AM   #20
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,859 Times in 254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
^

i get 290km out of a 66L tank

also city driving hehe -2 cylinder ftw ! loll
JoshuaWong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,437 Times in 376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rl89rl89 View Post
Just go to a bbt tea place at night and ask the honger kid with a c63 what they feel about their parent's car.
Or go to Twinkle 2 and ask Jeffield. He's there evvveerrryday
Posted via RS Mobile
Simplex123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
That was very informative, thank you very much turbomelon. What year is your c63?. As for the rest of you, I literally had to go back and re-read my initial post. I never ONCE mentioned gas mileage. Why did 5 people immediately tell me it was a bad idea because of gas mileage? People on here can be retarded.
Posted via RS Mobile
Glad I could be of some help, my c63 is a 2009MY, purchased it back in the fall of 2008. As of today I have about 40 000 kms on the odometer. One thing I forgot to add, the 2010+ c63s have the p31 performance/development package which features an ecu tune, forged pistons, the crankshaft from the sls and a few other lighter engine internals is a nice thing to have. Essentially from factory, it provides nearly identical performance to aftermarket tune only c63s despite its claimed 481hp.

If you are getting a pre-2010 model I would personally would recommend avoiding the p30 performance package as the suspension is in my opinion far too harsh for street driving and in many cases the suspension setup of the p30 performance package c63s results in worse laptimes due to the car being more twitchy/bouncing around.

Also, with the limited slip diff install, if you're going aftermarket keep in mind the installation costs will range between $1300-2000 depending on the skill/familiarity of your mechanic with c63s as you have to disassemble the entire rear end. But I can't emphasize enough how improved the c63 is with the inclusion of a limited slip diff even in daily driving. The factory offered lsd is decent, however a quality unit from quaife or clutch based unit from os giken in my opinion are even better.
turbomelon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 AM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts

Over C63.....Never really liked the c63. Looks bland and boring and you see them everywhere

They both have the same amenities minus some bells and whistles in the amg but they both do the same thing the difference is that The C63 pulls it off like a brute, while the Jag does it with elegance

Last edited by donjalapeno; 12-05-2011 at 08:30 AM.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 AM   #24
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
^

thats not really the same class of car, the jag is more comparable with an E-Class, or maybe even an S-Class
Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Same amount of power ( give or take)
Same price range

The jag is a little bigger.....it's border line comparable with the e class and C
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote