REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Drunk Off GUMMY BEARS (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659073-drunk-off-gummy-bears.html)

Tim Budong 12-06-2011 10:38 AM

Drunk Off GUMMY BEARS

So mine are in the fridge atm..

but this is interesting

Get Really Drunk Off Gummi Bears

Quote:

Get Really Drunk Off Gummi Bears
Have you heard the one about the super simple way of packing a high amount of alcohol into gummi bears? I was extremely skeptical, so like any good scientist* I decided to test it myself. The result? Hooboy...
It's Friday afternoon, you've made it through the long week, and it's time for Happy Hour, Gizmodo's weekly booze column. A cocktail shaker full of innovation, science, and alcohol. Ooh baby, let's get drunk.

[To view this post as a single page, click here]

The technique is simple to the point that it sounds preposterous:
Step 1: Empty a bag of gummi bears into a container.
Step 2: Pour in enough vodka so that the gummis are completely covered—and then some.
Step 3: Cover the container, put it in the fridge, and leave it for 3-5 days.

That's it. There's no way that could work, right? My hangover says otherwise.

For my experiment I used a bag of Haribo Gummi Bears and some very tasty Tito's vodka. After three days I pulled the gummis out. They were significantly bigger, as you can see in the photos with the tape measure. I popped one in my mouth, and there was that unmistakeable high-proof alcohol burn. These things are strong. And the texture had dramatically changed. It no longer had the gummi chewiness—it was more like a very firm Jell-O, and you could almost slurp them. Yes, small, bear-shaped Jell-O shots. They weren't quite "done" after three days, though. They still had a harder gummi core, so I put them back in the vodka, and let them go for another two days.

After five days had passed, I pulled them out, and ate half a bag's worth. In the name of science.*

Half a bag gave me a pretty decent buzz. I have no doubt that the sugar in the gummis adds to the effect. It may also be because you're holding the booze in your mouth longer as you chew and explore the texture. Regardless, I was all warm n' giddy. The solid core was gone. They were bigger, jigglier, and a bit smoother going down. That brings me to an important note: these don't taste like gummi bears that happen to have booze in them. No, they taste like vodka with gummi bear flavoring. Not really my thing, but I was won over by the novelty. So why not try it with other spirits, right?

My second round, I used Jameson's Irish whiskey, Cornelius applejack, and Mansinthe absinthe. They were all pretty good. The whiskey and applejack batches were both very sweet, but pretty mild. The absinthe batch was very absinthey. Hard notes of licorice, lots of burn, and they kind of turned white-ish (see photo). A neat experiment, but I'll probably stick with vodka next time.

I've heard internet rumors that cops are taking alcoholic gummi bears from kids on the subway every day. I'm dubious. Because, frankly, I tried to take them on the subway (to bring to a friend's house, not to eat in public*) and they completely liquified in the tupperware container. So sad. (see photo)

So, yes, it's possible to make alcoholic gummi bears. They're not fantastic on their own, but they might be a fun thing to put out at a party. Or, you can use them as a topping on your alcoholic ice cream, and then you've really got something. Mmm...

RacingMetro92 12-06-2011 11:05 AM

Gotta try this LOL

xilley 12-06-2011 11:12 AM

these things taste like shit..
i prefer the vodka with skittles thing
Skittles Vodka Tutorial : Mix That Drink

btw.. the comments 4th counting up..

brendo

I am pro at this by now with perfect ratios.

Since sugars last a hella long time and vodka as well. Im sure you could keep this stored away for a very long time. Upwards of a year without the taste vhanging very much. Just my opinion

Thanks again for helping me the first batch -hugeee success! Now i have friends:)

-B

:alone:

JayEch 12-06-2011 12:31 PM

off too superstore!!

Greenstoner 12-06-2011 02:07 PM

sounds fun .. gonna give it to the girls :D

Greenstoner 12-06-2011 02:09 PM

double post sorry

murd0c 12-06-2011 02:22 PM

I saw this on the news a couple months back and have really been wanting to try it out.

trip 12-06-2011 03:27 PM

i tried this on halloween.. it creeps up on you lol

rogue0716 12-06-2011 05:44 PM

yummm...gotta try this for the ladies night out. hmmm...can it be done with anything other than hard liquor? it's not worth it if it taste like crap.

dangonay 12-06-2011 06:34 PM

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about people sticking vodka soaked gummi bears up their ass to get drunk.
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 12-06-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 7717603)
When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be about people sticking vodka soaked gummi bears up their ass to get drunk.
Posted via RS Mobile

:considered:

:accepted:

:fuckthatshit:

NLY 12-06-2011 06:52 PM

the potential game changer

http://i.imgur.com/b5nGN.jpg

bloodmack 12-06-2011 07:08 PM

make vodka gummy bears
hand out to kids

Renxo 12-07-2011 04:06 AM

Rum and Coke Bottles anyone?

Tim Budong 12-07-2011 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renxo (Post 7718247)

gonna try this LOL

murd0c 12-07-2011 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renxo (Post 7718247)

That is beyond an awesome idea. Off to costco I go :fullofwin:

FI-Z33 12-07-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogue0716 (Post 7717522)
yummm...gotta try this for the ladies night out. hmmm...can it be done with anything other than hard liquor? it's not worth it if it taste like crap.

I heard red wine works... Tastes not bad apparently
Posted via RS Mobile

Tim Budong 12-07-2011 03:43 PM

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7461/466966109.jpg

dee242 12-08-2011 12:15 AM

guys checkout this guy hes a bartender in LA in he makes all there party drinks etc.

Tim Budong 12-08-2011 12:29 AM

i tried the gummy bears
my goodness its POTENT AS FUCK

underscore 12-08-2011 01:01 AM

you guys haven't heard of this before? I swear it was on instructibles a few years back. It's basically Yukaflux, but with gummi bears instead of fruit.

Stealthy 12-08-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthchilli (Post 7719016)
i tried the gummy bears
my goodness its POTENT AS FUCK

How long until it hit you?

Tim Budong 12-08-2011 11:06 AM

roughly 10-15min
id say i had about 20 or so..

Tim Budong 12-08-2011 03:37 PM

Tonight's mix!

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8568/467809745.jpg
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7344/467855242.jpg

too bad Daiso ran out of hte bottles and i ran out of vodka HAH

roastpuff 12-08-2011 07:42 PM

Just got some gummy bears from Safeway and Finlandia vodka to give this a shot for a party next week. Will post back results in a week! :D