REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Mourning

So I have been lost and need the advice of Revscene.

I just recently, within the past week, lost a very very close friend to a fatal aircraft accident and this week has been very rough. This is my first lost of someone very close to me.

I am usually asleep every night by 11pm but ever since this accident I haven't been able to sleep for the past 5 days because my mind is still in denial and the "what if's" keep on running thru my mind as I lay in my bed eyes wide open. I am also a hardcore weightlifter so my strict diet has gone to shits and I'm either not eating or binge eating to get my mind off this.

Me and the friends have gotten together a couple times and reminisced the good times we had with said friend and that has helped alot. But when we depart ways, I find myself back in the little blackhole that I've gotten myself into.

I guess writing this out helped my that very little bit. But we all know that "Time heals all."

If any of you guys have lost someone close, how did you cope with it and move on?

TIA

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
How I Mod your mother

Damn sorry to hear that man. I've never experienced this yet and I hope to not have to for a while.

As I havent gone through this my suggestions may suck, but maybe you and your friends could all get together and do things/go on trips that your friend wouldve wanted to do/go on?

It ties in with the reminiscing I guess, but in a way you're helping your friend live out the things they never did get to do? You may still have the "what ifs" going through your head, but at least in your heart you know you did what you could to remember your friend and help them try to fulfill their dreams even after they're gone.
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

The thing with my friend that passed away was he probably lived about 3 lifetimes worth of partying and travelling within his short 29 years. He knew how to live and have a good time, the life of the party type of guy. Sigh

MY FEEDBACK
Old 12-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
^ sorry to hear man, but I think the best way for you to get through this tough patch in life is to honour your friend. Have you considered doing a charity event for something he stood for? not only would this be good to keep his positive memory alive, but it would be rewarding to you for doing something selfless for your bud. my two cents.
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
You have to keep your head up and smile, that's what your friend would of wanted. Theres nothing wrong with missing someone and it may take a toll on your life especially if you guys were so close. Try to focus on the positive memories and build upon that. No one expects to cope like a light switch and time will be the remedy. Spend more time with your family and friends, they will look out for you.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Have you considered talking to a professional about it?

My dad passed away fairly unexpected in June 2010...today is actually his birthday.

After about a week of being numb, I found myself having problems sleeping - both, falling asleep and staying asleep. I lost my appetite and always felt nauseous.

I am not a super open person and had problems talking to my friends and family about it because I never wanted to make them upset or feel bad.

I started to see a therapist about the whole situation b/c it was also causing a little bit of anxiety. So many questions would race through my head and I would do ANYTHING to distract myself.

It helped talking to someone who was not involved with my dad's passing. I could ask question, complain, be upset, etc. without having to worry that I was upsetting someone or annoying them.

I can honestly say, that I have still not fully dealt with his passing...and I don't know if I ever will. But, "life" has pretty much gone back to "normal".

It takes time, but you will feel better. Try to keep working out and try to eat as healthy as you can. Being lethargic and eating poorly can add to the "funk".

Remember, what you are feeling right now is NORMAL!

The best thing you have done so far is to talk about your feelings and asking for help.

So sorry for your loss.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
a loss of a person is like a bad break up. You just have to move on, the same way.

just realise there is nothing you can do, or could have done, and living in the world of open possibilities (what if's) is not helping in anyway.

don't even focus on the positive memories. just forget everything and the feeling will pass.

once the feeling has passed, you will remember only the good things, and all the bad things will just be a thing of the past.

im not saying don't mourn. just don't over mourn. keep it short.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

you definitely need to have a good support group like your friends. I would talk to your other friends to see if they are having the same problem. IT will take a while for something like this to heal.
Always try to focus on the positive things and keep yourself busy. Maybe knowing that your friend lived life to his fullest should put you a little more at ease.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I'm pre-mourning. My dad is gonna pass any day now. First time losing someone. Kinda scared of what to expect.

But I think there's no right way to mourn. Every person has their own way of dealing with stuff. I think time is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Anything else, we have to learn on the go.

If you can't sleep at night, just close your eyes and think of your fave memories with that person. Some what worked for me last night.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I'm pre-mourning. My dad is gonna pass any day now. First time losing someone. Kinda scared of what to expect.

But I think there's no right way to mourn. Every person has their own way of dealing with stuff. I think time is the biggest piece of the puzzle. Anything else, we have to learn on the go.

If you can't sleep at night, just close your eyes and think of your fave memories with that person. Some what worked for me last night.
Posted via RS Mobile
I am so sorry for what you are going through
Old 12-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I am so sorry for what you are going through
Same sorry man
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #12

Talk it out with someone really close to you.. cry if your holding it in. Letting it all out will make you feel better, more so if you have someone close to comfort/understand where its coming from.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:47 PM   #13
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
i recently lost a friend of mine last week. found out the news ON my bday..its unbelievable.. all i can say is stay close with your friends and loved ones and don't sit here and mourn about their life. Go out there and enjoy it, cherish every moment you had with them and maybe when you do something that they liked, dedicate it to them. Im still in denial, and will be for a while, but its true when they say only time will heal. Be happy for them , smile for them. They woulda wanted you to be happy

ps : what i say may not work for you or others, but it's what im doing and i know that's what they would have wanted for me

-hugs-

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #14

I don't wanna make this a contest, but you know what's wack? Today is my bday, and it looks like my dad has only a few hours left, I'm at his side.

Atleast its a present I will never forget about.

P.s... Only posting on RS as I need to get my mind clear
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Matt? I'm sorry to hear man, best thing is to just remember the good times and keep in mind he'd just want you to move on and be happy for the time you guys had together.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #16
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
Condolences to both of you. I can't imagine what you both went through... especially on your birthdays and whatnot. As others have said, remember the good times and cherish every second with loved ones.

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
I don't wanna make this a contest, but you know what's wack? Today is my bday, and it looks like my dad has only a few hours left, I'm at his side.

Atleast its a present I will never forget about.

P.s... Only posting on RS as I need to get my mind clear
Posted via RS Mobile
Thinking about you

He will be at peace soon.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #18
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
FUCK Condolences to both of you.

Stay strong you guys.
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #19
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
I just lost my mom unexpectedly due to illness a few months ago, and it was the worst time of my life. I mean, your parents are always there for you, and for one of them to not be there when you open the door to the house is still inconceivable to me. I had very strong support from family and friends, and I would have been lost without them. cry when you need to, don't hold it in - talk to friends and family, again, don't hold it in. You also need to take care of yourself - your friend wouldn't want to see you self destruct, right? Eat properly, try to sleep (yes, I know it's difficult) properly.

Vanfanculo, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. You take care of yourself too.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:00 AM   #20

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I'm really sorry about your mom. I'd go crazy. I'm undecided if an unexpected death, or a long time coming one is better. But realistically, they both suck. I guess with the latter, you have time to accept it and hopefully have a chance to say goodbye.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #21

My condolences and thoughts are with you vafanculo. And thanks alot guys, it really "helps" sharing the journey that everyone has gone/going through.

I'm slowly getting back into the routine of things (work, gym, eating, sleep, hanging with friends). I went to my friends funeral last week in Toronto and all I think I needed was closure. It hit pretty hard when I watched that casket get lowered into the ground.

I've gotten over the denial and stuff and I'm onto acceptance now. I still get the random times where my mind remembers a funny/good memory and I hold the tears I shed, but I mostly chuckle now and have a huge smile on my face.

As it is the holiday season now, I am grateful for having known such a wonderful man and probably the most skilled pilot I have ever flown with.

MY FEEDBACK
Old 12-16-2011, 12:20 AM   #22
Founder, RS Veteran

Stages of Grief

Coping with Grief and Loss: Support for Grieving and Bereavement

St. Michael's Centre - Resources

Bored? Follow jACE on Twitter or check out his homepage.
jACEDesignsLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #23
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

My condolences to jimzilla and vafanculo. I am a bit late to this thread, but better late than never. I lost my father to suicide in 2007 so I just wanted to share a few words about how things have gone for me.

As well as being very sad, I was angry, and I felt very guilty, as if it was my fault in some way. I would feel angry, then I'd feel guilty for feeling angry. I'd feel guilty when I had a good day, because I was 'supposed' to be mourning. I had a lot of emotions that I couldn't understand or control at the time. What I've learned about that is that it's okay. Those emotions are there for a reason, it's not your fault, you shouldn't feel guilty for having emotions which you don't feel are appropriate. However you feel is all part of the process.

As for moving on, well it's easy for me to say it just takes time, but that's really my experience. For me, I suppressed a lot of emotions at the time, because that's what I needed to do to function. Again, don't feel bad for this. Just do what comes naturally to you, it'll all work out. There are some questions that I'm only starting to ask now, 4 years later, that I was not in a good enough place to ask before. The mind is an amazing thing, just trust it and it will guide you through this. Once you are at a place to talk about it, then do. I see from your post you're already reaching out for guidance, which is a great sign.

It will get better
denham is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: