REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

P(*&&*(%%^ (minor accident advice needed)

First off let me say, I no longer look at raccoons as being 'cute' or 'kitschy' - here's why.....

I'm driving home in my '01 330ci towards Oakridge from kits this evening and took a scenic detour thru Shaughnessy between W. blvd. and Granville...something I do almost daily. As I'm coming thru a residential corner/curve, a frikkin raccoon jolts out from the left, and instead of squashing the shit, I swerve left around it as there's decent room on this street and no parked cars. Sadly, as it was about 1 -2 degrees - even with near new blizzak tires! - the cars' tail swings wildly to the right (ice) and I have to countersteer right to get it back in line - which I did - but unfortunately it responded by the ass-end penduleming left and I couldn't right it enough to get her straight before the front right corner hit the curb. Nothing fast obviously, but hard enough that it pretty badly curbed the rims lip (probably 1/3 the way around, though no 'dent' - still appears true and round) and the front 'M-tech (?) 330ci lip cracked from the wheelwells side almost all the way to the license plate area. Approx. 1.5 -2 feet end to end (just the lip, thank god!) Now the scary part - the steering wheel is now off center, though there's no pulling or anything wierd, or any new sounds or noises.

So my question(s)
-is it likely just an alignment issue or could I have destroyed a control arm, etc.?
-are fibergalss/plastic lips repairable at all (the crack is 'clean' in that theoretically it all 'lines up' still, but if you pull it, it will pull away.) It would seem that a proper adhesive and the repaint would at least be passable?....or am I nuts! I'm far from a bodyman.
-this is the tough one. If I make an ICBC claim, is this a guaranteed collision claim, or comprehensive, seeing as how it stemmed from avoiding a moving animal? My deductable is $1000 on coll. and $200 on comp. so if it's the former, it's not likely that the repairs will be $1000....unless I pooched my suspension!

Any advice/help is MUCH appreciated!

An example of the lip on my car.
99-04 BMW E46 Front Bumper Lip M-Tech Style (PU)
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

yes fiber glassis repairable if u do it right it would look good as new
dee242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Always hit them small animals! If you hit them, you're the victim. If you avoid and crash, it's 100% your fault.

Animal Collisions
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by optiblue; 12-11-2011 at 04:50 PM.
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

^ truth.

the way ICBC looks at it is that there is no evidence you can show to them proving there was any animal in your way and that your crash wasn't a result of driver error
younglude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Dads coworker experienced this first hand.
He said his companies new location is located around a few forests, and there are sometimes deer or w.e animal (not sure)
His coworker, not noticing the running animal, swerved and hit a bulldozer on the side of the road (new construction).
He was found at fault.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM   #6
I don't get it

it's a collision claim, icbc will call it a 1-vehicle accident.
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
get the car up in the air and take a look, clearly somethings been damaged or thrown out of wack if your steering is off.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #8

Thanx for all the good advice. I'm not even making a claim as the wheel is not that badly curbed - the lip is scuffed about 1/3 the perimeter of the one wheel but I sanded it down and touched it up with a close paint match and it's not that big a deal....I might take it to Panthers/Greens if it bugs me enough but they are winter wheels so it's not imperative. The front lip did crack and needs a repaint but again, I figure $200 should 'mend' it. I took the front wheel off and saw no discernible damage to control arm/ball joints/idler arms, etc....both sides are identical to the naked eye, though with the steering wheel off kilter, when I bring it in tomorrow for an alignment, I'll def. get a confirmation. It drives absolutely fine with no pull or noise so it probably felt a lot worse than it really was....more the shock of 'omfg I'm gonna plow into the curb! *&&*$^&%' lol I figure there's no way this is worth a claim unless the shop establishes I did a real number.

Sound peace of mind advice on future animal avoidences....as much as I love animals, shy of a cat or dog, its getting squashed!!

Thanx all!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
it's either the little flurry thing or your pocket. Pretty easy choice.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Thats tough. My natural reaction would be to swerve out of the way. I don't know if I would be fast enough to think "OH shit! Better run over this skunk or I'm gonna have to pay $300"
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I had a raccoon dart out from nowhere in front of my car once, didn't want to swerve as there was traffic in the on coming lane so I just smoked it, to this day, my front license plate on the TL is still bent from the point of impact lol.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #12

Turns out I just needed an alignment as it got wacked way out of spec, thus the steering wheel issue. All else was tip top. And I found a new front lip for $100 (that I will paint and install myself) Finally, I touched up the wheels' curbage with a decent match, so all is essentially taken care of to the tune of $250. And to think I was going to make a claim! lol