REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 12-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Innovative or Unethical??

Lets hear some opinions on these luxury towers being built. Mostly just a picture, article takes a minute to read.

What the Hell Were These Architects Thinking?
Advertisement
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Pics for the lazy, "supposed to be evocative of a pixelated cloud floating overhead":

TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Story for the lazy..

I don't see how building a structure vaguely resembling the WTCs being impacted is unethical, I didn't even see the similarity till it was pointed out. The intent was clearly to have it look as if the towers are rising through the clouds, which is innovative and worthy of praise, imo.

Quote:
What the Hell Were These Architects Thinking?
These luxury residential towers, set to be completed in Seoul in 2015, are supposed to be evocative of a pixelated cloud floating overhead. But to be honest, the only thing they remind me of are September 11. How did no one cry foul?

From higher angles the ten story tall pixelated cloud structure that connects the two 850+ foot towers certainly looks more whimsical, as I'm sure the architects at MVRDV intended it to be. But most people will be viewing it looking up from ground level. And I'm afraid from that angle it's very reminiscent of the images and events that were seen around the entire world that day. So I'm not really sure how the eerie similarities weren't spotted before this design was approved.

When it's completed in Seoul's Yongsan business district, The Cloud will feature luxury residential spaces, a conference center, hotel, fitness facilities, restaurants, as well as public and private park space and gardens. All of which I'm sure will be lovely on the inside. But from where I'm sitting, it looks like a horrible memory. [MVRDV via designboom]
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
I didn't think of the world trade centre until it was mentioned. Also, its being built in Korea where 9/11 is not the huge deal that it is here. Personally I like to see innovative architecture like this, get a thumbs up from me.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
so are the 2 buildings connected thru that to increase stability?
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
How is it 'unethical'? maybe you're not clear on what the definition of unethical is..
it might be controversial to build a building that looks like the twin towers but this has nothing to do with ethics..
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

The definition of unethical is improper moral principle. Moral principle is defined by principles of right and wrong accepted by individuals or a social group.

IMO, this picture is controversial especially look at from an American point of view. I'm not American, but I wouldn't go and design a building with a cloud around it in the middle. Too me, it's not right.

This is my opinion, and you guys can have your opinion and won't say that they are right or wrong because I cannot think for you nor am I the one too say that you are wrong. If 9/11 never happened, then I would have a totally different point of view on this picture.
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
I liked the humourous comment from under that article:

Quote:
And yet the Gizmodo editors did not seem outraged when they ran a story on this new building that clearly looked like the 2004 Tsunami that killed a few hundred thousand people and was far more devastating than 9/11.

Seriously, anybody who's upset about this building for 9/11's sake needs to let go and stop looking for association with it in everything. Reminds me of the protests when the Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers came out and people thought that it was named that way to attract more viewers. Seriously stupid.

The thing I thought of first was that they took the Montreal Expo 67 buildings and stuck them inbetween two towers.

Not going to lie, I think both the new tower and the expo habitat are ugly as sin but I respect the fact that they're making something unique.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

I think it looks ugly
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

ugly looking building
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #11
無敵

It's ugly, looks like it came out of Minecraft.
Americans needs to chill out and stop thinking the world revolves around them or something.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
I doubt unethical would be a good way to describe the feeling they're trying to get at. Disrespectful might be a better way to describe it. But unless the koreans gave it a name that would hint any reference towards 911, every piece of artwork is subjective to the viewer's opinions.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote