REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Lowes & "All American Muslim"

Muslim TV series spurs backlash - Entertainment News, TV News, Media - Variety

Lowe's defends pulling ads from Muslim TV show | Reuters

When I first heard about this, I assume it was B.S. and was waiting for Lowes to make a statement to the contrary of the claim....not so much, I guess.

Wonder how Muslim Lowes employees are feeling right now....assuming that there are some.

Shit like this pisses me off...I really don't get it.
Advertisement
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
meh its America we all know they're inbred crazy racists

as for that show it sucks but i am surprised theres a town like that in the US where it seems almost everyone is muslim
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
US producers trying to rip off "Little Mosque On The Prairie"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

naw its nothing like little mosque

this is more like "friday night lights" meets reality show meets "housewives of.." acted by persians/arabs

they should just air little mosque in the states
Old 12-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
LOL...heard all about this yesterday.

Today? Running a front door knob powered by Lowe's.

Racist or not, they certainly were convenient
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #6

we dont have any lowe's in bc

edit: oh theres one in new west now

well i know where i wont be shopping
Old 12-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
we dont have any lowe's in bc

edit: oh theres one in new west now

well i know where i wont be shopping
There's one open in New West now..

edit: lol you edited right before I quoted you.

Also, I'll continue to give my business to other companies despite Lowes expanding in Canada, I'd rather support Rona than a company that bases it's policy on appealing to biggots. That's the American way of doing things and they can keep it there.

Last edited by MindBomber; 12-12-2011 at 09:32 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
The sound of inevitability

Great, I love how we're now the new hipsters .. soon it'll be "cool" to be muslim.. what ever the fuck that means..

I rather be hated on than have a show about me and my life..
Mainly because I'm fucking normal and nothin is special about me.. ooh , my belief in a creator takes route C instead of route A or B, Big fucking deal.

I hate this fucking place. And I hate lowe's and I hate those stupid mouth breathers that protested the show, and the idiots who watched it, and the idiots who participated in it..

I could be muslim one day and then not be muslim the next, what the fuck is there to make a show about.. son of a ... Fuck this gay earth!

The only ocean creature you can call yourself is the giant squid. He's the destroyer of ships, and the eater of seamen. At least you share one of those traits.
-Hypa

mixed girls that look predominatly asian with subtle caucasian features=what i'd give my left nut for
-6chr0nic4
The7even is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
LOL...heard all about this yesterday.

Today? Running a front door knob powered by Lowe's.

Racist or not, they certainly were convenient
If I only had my "fail" button....

Don't make me take a hammer to your beloved new door handle.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The7even View Post
Great, I love how we're now the new hipsters .. soon it'll be "cool" to be muslim.. what ever the fuck that means..

I rather be hated on than have a show about me and my life..
Mainly because I'm fucking normal and nothin is special about me.. ooh , my belief in a creator takes route C instead of route A or B, Big fucking deal.

I hate this fucking place. And I hate lowe's and I hate those stupid mouth breathers that protested the show, and the idiots who watched it, and the idiots who participated in it..

I could be muslim one day and then not be muslim the next, what the fuck is there to make a show about.. son of a ... Fuck this gay earth!

Posted via RS Mobile
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
From a straight business sense, why would you want to advertise on a show that, after attracting enough viewers in the first show or two (out of curiosity?) dropped ratings so badly that it is not even in the top 100 shows and is the worst rated show at the time it views. Demanding that a business buy ads on a show nobody watches just because it is about muslims (not a race, a religion) make those who make the demands racist themselves.

"There’s a long list of companies that have pulled out, and while it might be nice to think that they woke up to the creepy agenda of a series which has promoted a dishonest view of Islam and has featured an imam who called marital rape legitimate, the real story is in the numbers. All-American Muslim started out strong with 1.7 million viewers and a 0.9 share of adults 18-49, the demographic most coveted by advertisers. Advertisers will pay money for low-rated shows so long as they have a high 18-49 share. But by the second episode it had lost 600,000 viewers and its 18-49 share was down to 0.5. The week after that it was the lowest rated cable show on the top 100 for the night. And last week’s episode was bad enough that it appears to have fallen out of the top 100 completely.

The question then is why would Lowe’s or any other company want to pay good money for that? And why should a political thug like Senator Lieu be able to abuse his office by threatening a company that if they don’t advertise on a particular show then he will target them with “legislative remedies,” an Orwellian term for punishing a company that has chosen not to keep buying ad time on the worst rated show of the night..."
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
From a straight business sense, why would you want to advertise on a show that, after attracting enough viewers in the first show or two (out of curiosity?) dropped ratings so badly that it is not even in the top 100 shows and is the worst rated show at the time it views. Demanding that a business buy ads on a show nobody watches just because it is about muslims (not a race, a religion) make those who make the demands racist themselves.

"There’s a long list of companies that have pulled out, and while it might be nice to think that they woke up to the creepy agenda of a series which has promoted a dishonest view of Islam and has featured an imam who called marital rape legitimate, the real story is in the numbers. All-American Muslim started out strong with 1.7 million viewers and a 0.9 share of adults 18-49, the demographic most coveted by advertisers. Advertisers will pay money for low-rated shows so long as they have a high 18-49 share. But by the second episode it had lost 600,000 viewers and its 18-49 share was down to 0.5. The week after that it was the lowest rated cable show on the top 100 for the night. And last week’s episode was bad enough that it appears to have fallen out of the top 100 completely.

The question then is why would Lowe’s or any other company want to pay good money for that? And why should a political thug like Senator Lieu be able to abuse his office by threatening a company that if they don’t advertise on a particular show then he will target them with “legislative remedies,” an Orwellian term for punishing a company that has chosen not to keep buying ad time on the worst rated show of the night..."
I don't particularly care about this story, and I get why they pulled advertising. Both the logic of it in terms of ratings, and the logic of connecting your company to a show with controversy.

However, their statement didn't come out and say, "we pulled our advertising because no one was watching it" which, to me, would have been an easy out, they specifically stated it was because of the controversy of being a show about Muslims living normal lives in America.

They took the extra step of making sure it wasn't a cop out on ratings.

And that is why there is a 20,000 strong group on facebook, and I noticed dinosaur last night among them devoted to bashing Lowe's and boycotting their stores. I joke around here about buying stuff there the other night to kind of get a laugh, but I support her logic that it seems like they wanted to make a statement in their statement, and that is, "we support our fine, white, middle america customer base"

And I certainly thought about this when I went into the store.

For reference, a quote from their statement, ""Lowe's has received a significant amount of communication on this program, from every perspective possible. Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views. As a result we did pull our advertising on this program," that's from CNN.

They didn't mention ratings anywhere. In fact, that says to me, "we're a little tired of having 1000's of phone calls ranting how Muslims and sharia law are going to take over the world from our fine, white, middle america customer base."
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Or maybe a threat or two from CAIR or the Muslim Brotherhood..you know, the same nice folks who support Hamas and are behind pushing a pro-muslim agenda? This guy is one of those behind the boycott and the pressure against Lowes.

"Ahmed Rehab of CAIR says we infidels are just “racists” who apparently don’t know that all Muslims stand for “peace, co-existence, justice, tolerance, love, and compassion.” (Tell me again, what ‘race’ is Islam?)

A little background on Ahmed: IPT CAIR Chicago director Ahmed Rehab currently serves as both CAIR-Chicago’s executive director and CAIR’s national strategic communications director. Rehab joined CAIR-Chicago in 2004 and became the chapter’s executive director mid-2006. Rehab has staunchly defended a charity found guilty of funneling money to Hamas, a Hamas operative, a fundraiser for a Hamas- linked group, and his own organization from its founding officials’ ties to a U.S. Hamas support network. He has also failed to wholly condemn Hamas when questioned by the media. Before his time with CAIR, Rehab listed an Islamist thinker who inspired Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida’s ideology as one of his “favorites.”
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #14

sounds like you're gathering your news from skewed right wing bigot site zulu.... eerie... i thought those kinds of police were only found in the USA or Alberta
Old 12-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

So the US Govt which named CAIR & the Muslim Brotherhood as Hamas supporters and unindicted 911 conspirators, is a skewed right wing bigot site?
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
So the US Govt which named CAIR & the Muslim Brotherhood as Hamas supporters and unindicted 911 conspirators, is a skewed right wing bigot site?
Well, yes, to some extent. Americans are Americans, they're a people rapt with paranoia and intolerance, and many of those working for the U.S. government are among the very worst offenders. Obviously I can't make a broad reaching statement that applies to all Americans, that's just a general comment on their society as a whole. *cough* 1984 *cough* fifties era communist witch hunt *cough*...

It's also extremely surprising just how many people of middle eastern decent or origin support Hamas, the labelling of it as a terrorist organization by Western countries, especially America, should be taken with a bolder size grain of salt.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 PM   #17
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
It's also extremely surprising just how many people of middle eastern decent or origin support Hamas, the labelling of it as a terrorist organization by Western countries, especially America, should be taken with a bolder size grain of salt.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The word "terrorist" seems to have been the word flavour of the decade. Seems like anything that's vaguely anti-government, anti-American, anti-big business, anti-"Mom, apple pie and the American Flag" has been branded with this term. But this is something for another thread.

As for the TV show, all the reviews I've read on it state that it's a terrible program. If anything, most of them tend to agree that it's actually a step backwards to improving American's view on Muslims. Personally I've never watched the show as I've never had any inclination or desire to. However, reading some of the comments people have said about the show trying to make certain religions invade America are pure dribble and downright idiotic. Unfortunately outspoken minority extremists are more often heard and actually listened to than the majority.

Blue vs Red states, Islam vs Christianity, Terrorist vs Freedom Fighter... Guh. There's a lot I like about America, but sometimes I just want to bash my head against the wall every time I open up the paper and read what's going on down there.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-13-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
Banned By Establishment

I have watched the show since it premiered...and yes, it is not that great of a show.

Not because of the content or the purpose, it is just not all that interesting. Maybe because we happen to live in a fairly diverse part of the world where seeing someone wear a head scarf is not all that uncommon.

Basically, it is about a bunch of americans....in a small town....that happen to be Muslim. I guess the real clincher, is that the population of the town is 30% Muslim, which as they say on the show, is the highest population of Muslim people, outside the Middle East.

They discuss the religion and the certain lifestyles that come with it, but I think they main point they are trying to make is that though they are all Muslim, they are not the same. Some wear the scarf, others don't...some fast during Ramadan, some don't...some dress conservatively, some don't, etc....etc...etc...

So yes, American, like Christians and Jewish people, all religions have different levels of commitment and interpretation of their holy books.

Point?
Not all Muslims are terrorist, much like not a Catholics are pedophiles and not all Jews are cheap.

As for these FFA people or Lowes concerns that it is a propaganda campaign to unit all Muslims together to take over the USA, from what I have seen, it is the opposite.

Why is the show boring and why do the ratings suck? Because as for watching a Christian shop for groceries, a Muslim shopping for groceries ain't all that interesting either.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
and not all Jews are cheap.
Yes we are.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 PM   #20
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

The word "terrorist" seems to have been the word flavour of the decade. Seems like anything that's vaguely anti-government, anti-American, anti-big business, anti-"Mom, apple pie and the American Flag" has been branded with this term. But this is something for another thread.

However, TLC really should stop finding weird show concepts that haven't been done before. There's a reason no one picks them up.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:43 PM   #21

daily show talked about this tonight it was great

the main organization against the show Family Florida or something (who complained to Lowes) says they're against the show because it goes against their belief system of what muslims are (terrorists) and say the show is portraying muslims as everyday americans and that is inaccurate

Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 AM   #22
RS Peace Officer

How do you then explain the Hamas charter which has the destruction of Israel and the extermination of jews as one of it's core values? I agree that it is surprising how many supposedly educated, sane, normal western and middle eastern people support hamas. To say that they are a humanitarian organization is an insult to genuine humanitarian organizations. The Salvation Army doesn't teach kids to blow up other children in suicide bomb attacks.

Even wiki, hardly a right wing american entity says of hamas...
The charter exhibits the influence of antisemitic conspiracy theories throughout, as evidenced by the explicit mention of the "The Protocols of the Elder of Zion," or statements labeling "Freemasons, The Rotary and Lions clubs" as "sabotage groups ... behind the drug trade and alcoholism in all its kinds." Some experts and advocacy groups[22] believe that statements by some Hamas leaders display similar conspiratorial influences, though Hamas officials are clear to describe the conflict with Israel as political and not religious.[23][23][24][25]

The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, the Hamas affiliated military wing, has launched attacks with both military and civilian victims. Tactics have included rocket attacks and, from 1993 to 2008, suicide bombings.[26][27] Military targets included Israeli and Egyptian outposts and border crossings and rival Palestinian militias in the occupied territories.[28]

Last edited by zulutango; 12-14-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #23

same way america has an anti-muslim view and a charter of eliminating "terrorists" ?

and you're really really straying from the topic of this show... like holy shit.... you may as well change that "RS PEACE Officer" to "RS Anti-Muslim/Arab/Middle-Eastern Officer"

side note Hamas was created by Mossad to fight against Arafat google it

daily show from last night http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-pos...lims-video-335 << article about it and video but the video is blocked unless you're american or you've got a vpn

www.thecomedynetwork.ca << should be uploaded there tomorrow or so i suppose... comedynetwork so slow -_-

Last edited by StylinRed; 12-14-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #24
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
and you're really really straying from the topic of this show... like holy shit.... you may as well change that "RS PEACE Officer" to "RS Anti-Muslim/Arab/Middle-Eastern Officer"

side note Hamas was created by Mossad to fight against Arafat google it
Dude, that's beyond excessive.

Zulu isn't going on anti-Islamic rant, he's saying he doesn't support Hamas, which is an opinion he is more than entitled to have. There are many Christian organizations I do not support, because I believe they both spew and support unfounded hate based on an archaic fear of all things different, that doesn't make me anti-Christian/European.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Dude, that's beyond excessive.

Zulu isn't going on anti-Islamic rant, he's saying he doesn't support Hamas, which is an opinion he is more than entitled to have. There are many Christian organizations I do not support, because I believe they both spew and support unfounded hate based on an archaic fear of all things different, that doesn't make me anti-Christian/European.
its not his anti-hamas stance hell he can be anti-chuck-e-cheese for all i care

look @ how it got exposed.... the very matter that That got tied into his support of Lowes and a tv show about muslims by him through a bunch of spiderwebs is

its like me supporting the firebombing of starbucks' because someone in a FairTradeCoffeeBean organization (who supports Starbucks) may have once supported a coffee bean farm that is considered to be unethical.....

Last edited by StylinRed; 12-14-2011 at 07:12 AM.