REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #51
RS controls my life!

When i first got my passport I decided to give it a try down at the peace arch crossing. I was going alone and I didn't really have a destination, nor did I have any first hand knowledge of murika or boarder protocol. I was also driving an alberta registered car with a bc licence. Needless to say, I was denied from the boarder... I eventually went to seattle with some friends for a football game. But I'm just curious about the do's and don'ts of border crossing? Obviously I should have known my destination, and my car should be registered in the same province I'm licensed in. But what are some the biggest no no's. The border control claimed that I was going to stay in the country like a vagabond. Some of my questions-
-If you say you're only going for a day and it ends up turning into a week, will this effect crossing back into canada?
-How much merchandise can you bring back? And what can't and what can you bring back?
-What happens if you get in a minor car accident while in the states and you return to the border with the damage unrepaired? Or if you get in a major car accident and have to return on a plane?
-What is the best way to get across the boarder with little hastle? Getting gas? Getting groceries? Bring a few friends? or be alone?
-Is it true that if the border control rips apart your car, you can't claim the damage on insurance?
Advertisement
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #52
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
When i first got my passport I decided to give it a try down at the peace arch crossing. I was going alone and I didn't really have a destination, nor did I have any first hand knowledge of murika or boarder protocol. I was also driving an alberta registered car with a bc licence. Needless to say, I was denied from the boarder... I eventually went to seattle with some friends for a football game. But I'm just curious about the do's and don'ts of border crossing? Obviously I should have known my destination, and my car should be registered in the same province I'm licensed in. But what are some the biggest no no's. The border control claimed that I was going to stay in the country like a vagabond. Some of my questions-
-If you say you're only going for a day and it ends up turning into a week, will this effect crossing back into canada?
-How much merchandise can you bring back? And what can't and what can you bring back?
-What happens if you get in a minor car accident while in the states and you return to the border with the damage unrepaired? Or if you get in a major car accident and have to return on a plane?
-What is the best way to get across the boarder with little hastle? Getting gas? Getting groceries? Bring a few friends? or be alone?
-Is it true that if the border control rips apart your car, you can't claim the damage on insurance?
Obviously any contraband including but not limited to cocaine, heroin, marijuana, meth, and Kinder eggs. Kinder eggs are illegal because of a prohibition against having an inedible item inside an edible object.
In the past CBSA and CBP don't communicate directly to each so if you are in the US longer than you told them, they would need to find out when you left the USA. They may hassle you but as long as you are truthful about your intentions and destination you shouldn't have any real problems. That may have changed recently. Technically you do not have any tax free shopping if you have been absent from Canada for less than 48hours, but normally an office will let you thru if you have under $200 in goods without taxing you. Alcohol they are more likely to tax you, tho at the discretion of the officer you are dealing with. Depending on which state you are in, if your car is still safe to drive, you can go home with it, let ICBC deal with it. Same thing if your car is not drivable, that's what insurance is for. Consider getting travel insurance as any hospital stay is not covered by BC medical and can possibly bankrupt you. Best way to get across is like I stated earlier, be honest about what you are doing. I have crossed three times in a single day without a problem. Had an office ask me about that and I told him. I've crossed later at night and back into Canada in under 7 minutes getting gas. Not sure about if they rip your car apart, but they have to be mighty suspicious to pull your car apart since it takes them time and a few officers to do so, taking resources away from their other duties and tasks.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #53
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

guys, you can be flagged very easily because someone had the same NAME as you.

i was flagged by some douche at the peace arch border.... not jaded, just straight up douche.

anyways here is some advice for you guys that are going through what happened to be years ago... i'm NOT flagged ANYMORE..

here is how you guys get rid of it.

DHS | DHS Traveler Redress Inquiry Program (DHS TRIP)
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM   #54
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmvdesign View Post
I'm driving down/moving to California next week and taking Peace Arch Crossing. I'll be taking my PC tower with me. Should I worry about CBP withholding my PC tower and scan my files? I have personal picture albums and tons of jpeg libraries of design references.
maybe

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=spooky+dhs
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #55
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksport View Post
Obviously any contraband including but not limited to cocaine, heroin, marijuana, meth, and Kinder eggs. Kinder eggs are illegal because of a prohibition against having an inedible item inside an edible object.
In the past CBSA and CBP don't communicate directly to each so if you are in the US longer than you told them, they would need to find out when you left the USA. They may hassle you but as long as you are truthful about your intentions and destination you shouldn't have any real problems. That may have changed recently. Technically you do not have any tax free shopping if you have been absent from Canada for less than 48hours, but normally an office will let you thru if you have under $200 in goods without taxing you. Alcohol they are more likely to tax you, tho at the discretion of the officer you are dealing with. Depending on which state you are in, if your car is still safe to drive, you can go home with it, let ICBC deal with it. Same thing if your car is not drivable, that's what insurance is for. Consider getting travel insurance as any hospital stay is not covered by BC medical and can possibly bankrupt you. Best way to get across is like I stated earlier, be honest about what you are doing. I have crossed three times in a single day without a problem. Had an office ask me about that and I told him. I've crossed later at night and back into Canada in under 7 minutes getting gas. Not sure about if they rip your car apart, but they have to be mighty suspicious to pull your car apart since it takes them time and a few officers to do so, taking resources away from their other duties and tasks.
It is actually $75 for a 24 hour leave, but it all depends on the officer as you said. Some times you can bring back less and get taxed, some times you can bring back more and not get taxed
1995 Nissan 240sx SOLD
2009 Saturn Astra
some_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:19 AM   #56
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

also if your item is over 75 dollars, they can make you pay taxes and duty on the entire cost of the item and not just the cost of the item minus $75.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #57
My homepage has been set to RS

If they ended up letting you go to the USA on that trip you are not flagged. Trust me on that... if they denied you and sent you packing then chances are there would be a note in your file.

Too many people are worried of crossing the border. Key to getting across comes in four little words. "Yes Sir, No Sir" Keep the chatter to a min and you'll be fine.

Kinda funny since I'm living in Europe right now and there is no such thing as a border here. I go to Austria daily from Germany via a ski lift... lol. A lot different than our N/A way of doing things.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #58
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_punk View Post
It is actually $75 for a 24 hour leave, but it all depends on the officer as you said. Some times you can bring back less and get taxed, some times you can bring back more and not get taxed
No, it's not.

For 24 hours or more, you get $50. For anything less than 24 hours (day trip) you don't get anything.

bsf5056: I Declare

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #59

That rule is bogus anyways. If it's under $100 they won't care. I regularly bring $400-$500 worth of car parts back (on a 5 min trip to blaine) and rarely do I have to pay duty.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #60
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I still LOL at the thought that you guys get harrassed over stupid shit like that but yet here's my story on the last time I crossed the border.

We were going to a Honda-tech meet and the car we were driving was a VIP Infinity with all black windows. Straight up looks like a DD car. There were 4 of us in it all young white males and me personally with a criminal record with several convictions for violent crimes. I told them at the time if they wouldn't let me through I would just stay behind and call a buddy for a ride home lol. Border guards going BOTH directions didn't even ask us any questions at all. "Where you going?" "Car show" Ok have a nice day. On the way back, "No we didn't buy anything" "Ok have a nice day"

The only time I have ever been stopped was in my EK and they asked me how much cash I had on me. I had no interior in my car so the officer just looked inside and said Ok have a nice day.

Guess I've been lucky? lol

Berz out.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #61
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
me personally with a criminal record
Yes you were. The criminal conviction even with a Pardon or discharge is enough reason for them to reject you from entering the US.
The 2 times that I was sent in for secondary inspection was during the 4th of July long weekend. 2 years in a row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #62
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
...me personally with a criminal record with several convictions for violent crimes.

Berz out.
I would guess others not so much.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #63
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,452 Times in 986 Posts
americans dont like it when you take jobs from them.
my company has tons of travellers that go down to the states, and we need a professional travel letter and tons of paperwork at hand in case they start asking questions.
we have to tell them we get paid in canadian dollars, etc...
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #64
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
my company has tons of travellers that go down to the states, and we need a professional travel letter and tons of paperwork at hand in case they start asking questions.
See? That's what I don't get. Everyone is all "fuck Mexicans-they take our jobs!" right? Well, those jobs are there because you are too fucking lazy to pick produce for dick money.

I'd be more worried about the "white-as-you, talks-like-you, thinner-than-you, educated-as-you, looks-just-like-you" fucking Canadians coming down and stealing your shit myself.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM   #65
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Neither does Canada, I have a friend who's banned from entering Canada for a year because she was hired to model up here but the employer forgot to apply for a work visa properly. You'll need a work visa/permit if you are entering Canada/US for paid work and you're not a citizen.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #66

for business trips, never say u are a consultant or are getting paid for work or are on the clock while you are down south.

the worst ive had was, crossing border with nexus card (not nexus lane) and us guard askimg me "why u have a nexus"? i was like I was with group of ppl who had passports

in general, i have had better exp. with US guards.
at least they joke around, unlike CBSA guards that always seem to have something up thr ass (most of the time)

Last edited by tool001; 12-28-2011 at 02:44 PM.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #67
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Anyone in the medical field know how strong and how long lasting radioactive isotopes are? I recall that they have sensitive radiation detectors at the border that may pick up those kind of radiation, possibly causing some issues and a lecture about WMD's. They never found them in Iraq so next likely location is under your car seat.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #68
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksport View Post
Anyone in the medical field know how strong and how long lasting radioactive isotopes are? I recall that they have sensitive radiation detectors at the border that may pick up those kind of radiation, possibly causing some issues and a lecture about WMD's. They never found them in Iraq so next likely location is under your car seat.
The ones they inject into you for a better contrast only last a few hours. Even then, it's an extremely weak source of radiation. I don't see you have any issue as long as you weren't just injected with it.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #69
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
As far as I know the US and Canada border doesn't share any info with each other at all. I have tested it myself before.

I have told each side a different purpose of the trip just to test it out and I've always gone through no problem.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #70
Not a mod

^ your wrong. If there is a major concern, ie: drugs, guns, money, human smuggling, they communicate back and forth. No one gives a shit if its something petty such as purpose of your trip
Posted via RS Mobile
SoulCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #71
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
As far as I know the US and Canada border doesn't share any info with each other at all. I have tested it myself before.

I have told each side a different purpose of the trip just to test it out and I've always gone through no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCrusher View Post
^ your wrong. If there is a major concern, ie: drugs, guns, money, human smuggling, they communicate back and forth. No one gives a shit if its something petty such as purpose of your trip
Posted via RS Mobile
He's correct, you're wrong. Although all this will change soon.

Canada-U.S. border deal marks 'significant step' - Politics - CBC News

Quote:
Currently, no information is shared upon entry or exit.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #72
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:

Berz out.
No, it's your cute smile.

oh, no homo....................
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #73
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
for business trips, never say u are a consultant or are getting paid for work or are on the clock while you are down south.

the worst ive had was, crossing border with nexus card (not nexus lane) and us guard askimg me "why u have a nexus"? i was like I was with group of ppl who had passports

at least they joke around, unlike CBSA guards that always seem to have something up thr ass (most of the time)
If you cross the border for work for anything other than business meetings or training, INSIST that the company get you a visa. A TN visa is cheap ($50) and lasts a year and avoids a whole lot of hassle when crossing the border. If you try to cross without, it's a crapshoot as to whether they'll let you cross or not.

There's no way in hell I'd want a black mark on my record because of my work. The strike against you will be on your record long after you leave that job and it doesn't get erased just because you don't work for that company anymore. Take it from someone who has taken more than his fare share of refusal of entries (oh wait - they termed it a withrawing of my application for entry into the United States) and trips to secondary because his work was too cheap to get him a visa...

Generally I find US border agents a little more abrasive than Canadians. I've watched them make someone cry in secondary. Candian border guards generally ask more questions but they're generally (though not always) somewhat polite about it. I think I've only had one US border agent crack a joke in the 50-60 times I've crossed the US border.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #74
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
+1, the US guards are generally friendly maybe it's because they know I'm only crossing to spend money/pick up stuff that I spent money on, never been called in for going into the states but many times coming back from PR.

Another heads up for PR, the CBSA actually sends guys down to TSB/Letter carrier etc, to see if we're picking up stuff, one time I was exchanging a wheel (wrong bolt pattern, long story) and I packaged it in the TSB parking lot, didn't declare it but had a frightening experience when called in, the guy believed my story and I explained everything to him and he told me what to do next time; he said he could but wouldn't flag me knowing that I learned my lesson. Basically I should've declared what I was bringing down first to avoid the hassle, but interesting to know that they send down spies like that
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:41 PM   #75
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvtofu View Post
Another heads up for PR, the CBSA actually sends guys down to TSB/Letter carrier etc, to see if we're picking up stuff, one time I was exchanging a wheel (wrong bolt pattern, long story) and I packaged it in the TSB parking lot, didn't declare it but had a frightening experience when called in, the guy believed my story and I explained everything to him and he told me what to do next time; he said he could but wouldn't flag me knowing that I learned my lesson. Basically I should've declared what I was bringing down first to avoid the hassle, but interesting to know that they send down spies like that
I've always wondered about that. While I don't go to Pt Roberts, I have seen CBP cars cruising around Blaine and was wondering if they were looking out for people trying to sneak stuff over. From watching people at the receiving place I'm at, I'd say about 80% of the people that are there are blatantly trying to sneak stuff over the border without declaring it. (You can see them cutting off tags, getting rid of boxes, etc) I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing the same thing in Blaine.

As for taking stuff down, I've driven into the US with my stock springs/struts that I sold to someone on a forum and declared it and they just waved me on. Same with my 17-55 f2.8 Canon lens I was sending off for repair. They didn't even flinch and just waved me on my way after I declared it to them.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote