REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Google Zeitgeist 2011: Year In Review

2011. What a year it was.

Advertisement

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

i think i saw a vancouver riot pic in there .... the one with the couple making out on the ground!
MK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,243 Times in 574 Posts
Real cool vid!

Thx for sharing!
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
song ?
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal0g0dv2 View Post
song ?
Says in the description:

"Sooner or Later" by Mat Kearney
beansbaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Seems more like an ad for google...

"Look people DO use Google+. We can incite regime changes too. With video chat!"
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
good video. I liked how google put last year's video together better tho.

For those who hasn't seen it yet, heres the vid

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #8
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
I like it. There wasn't a story in there that wasn't recognized. Show's how the internet is able to faster spread information like no tomorrow. If this was ten years ago, most people would only be aware of 10% of those stories.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #9
nlo
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Amazing video.
nlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Now I'm confused. Is it affiliated with zeitgeist like the tin foil hats people, or is it just an ad for how awesome google is at everything it touches.

Because I have been learned that google=awesome. At everything. Never question it. Forever.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Now I'm confused. Is it affiliated with zeitgeist like the tin foil hats people, or is it just an ad for how awesome google is at everything it touches.

Because I have been learned that google=awesome. At everything. Never question it. Forever.
As stolen from Wiki
Quote:
Zeitgeist (German pronunciation: [ˈtsaɪtɡaɪst]) is "the spirit of the times" or "the spirit of the age." Zeitgeist is the general cultural, intellectual, ethical, spiritual or political climate within a nation or even specific groups, along with the general ambiance, morals, sociocultural direction, and mood associated with an era.

The term is a loanword from German Zeit – "time" (cognate with English "tide" and "time") and Geist – "spirit" (cognate with English "ghost").
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
As stolen from Wiki
Revscene. As educational as it is entertaining
Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #13
Banned By Establishment

I still stand by my comment of google wanting to prove that they can topple governments too.

Google+ is like social networking's geeky little brother.

"Facebook, you can go and change Mubarak's regime, but YOU NEED TO TAKE GOOGLE+ WITH YOU!"
Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Seems more like an ad for google...

"Look people DO use Google+. We can incite regime changes too. With video chat!"
It's definitely promoting Google+ but is that really a bad thing? A vast majority of people around the world use Google's services: Maps, Gmail, Youtube, Chat/Talk, Picasa. Yet, not many people know of or have given Google+ a fair try.

To be honest, Facebook is becoming an online therapy group where people post the most useless shit with the conscious or subconscious effort to see if anyone will pay attention to them. Do people really have to know that your boyfriend took a shit in your cup? Seriously, the crap that's on Facebook is so and it's becoming like Twitter where the majority of the people post even more useless shit - example, "just ate a bowl of noodles, awesome". Yea Shin Ramyun is fucking awesome but REALLY!?

Google+ could become like that if the whole attention seeking audience base from Facebook/Twitter decided to congregate over but luckily that hasn't happened. The good thing about Google+ is that it integrates all of its other services that a great majority of people use, which I stated earlier. Fuck, even Skype could be obsolete if people decided to give Google's chat/Google+'s hangouts a try. It has far more potential but people aren't willing to give it a try because once again, they love the attention they get from those statuses.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-18-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I like the song

anybody notice 2:16 top left pic ?
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
It's definitely promoting...
I get what you are saying, but here's my prediction.

Facebook sucks. For all the reasons you listed, and more. They have been holding off on a facebook IPO. Why? Because when it turns corporate, its going to lose its edge. Suddenly, you get to the point where your quarterly results are going to matter the most. You'll have shareholders wanting advertising pumped everywhere and blah blah blah. You get the point.

I myself rarely check it anymore. I can only speak for myself, but I moved away from home at 19, and never looked back. I was happy to see some people from high school. Who turned into a bitch? Who got fat and who got hot.

Then, I no longer care. I deleted half of them due to realizing that if I wasn't close enough to you to keep in touch after I left-there's a reason.

Then you get old co-workers and others that eventually-for me-I came to the conclusion that once again, we weren't that close, I keep the people I'm friends with close and the rest don't get what I do now, and probably never will.

I find whenever I do log on, I still don't find anything that really interests me.

I don't wanna play your stupid games, I rarely care about this wacky picture of your s.o in an ugly xmas sweater and so on.

For me, its lost its edge.

And google+ may be cool, but its facebook lite.

Just my opinion. I think they've had a great run, but it will eventually be next in line with myspace. I don't see + being the next successor, as much as an asterisk on facebooks run.

**Around the same time, google introduced a social network that failed to gain traction before ____(insert next great thing here)

Oh, and no, I don't want to share my purchase on facebook.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #17

I agree with what you're saying. Google+ will become another Myspace if the people who are on it at the moment decide to give up or if they aren't generating more users.

What I don't understand is that Google+ has more usefulness as a whole and is definitely a more suitable social network for smart-phones, which seem to be abundant now these days, and has more useful features than Facebook (normal chat, multi-person convo, video chat, etc.), yet it's completely ignored.

The general response I get when I ask someone to try out Google+ is "no one is using it". Right, so why not tell your other friends about said features, response: "they still won't". I ask why and the response I get is "I don't know".
I don't think all my friends who I've asked are clueless but I'm certain that most of them aren't willing to try and at least a few are caught up in the attention seeking status stage that Facebook has become. Which is why, back to the point from my previous post, this Zeitgeist promotion of Google+ is a good thing. People need to see in order to try or understand because word of mouth simply isn't good enough.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK-EK View Post
i think i saw a vancouver riot pic in there .... the one with the couple making out on the ground!
2:41
Old 12-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
I agree with what you're saying. Google+ will become another Myspace if the people who are on it at the moment decide to give up or if they aren't generating more users.

What I don't understand is that Google+ has more usefulness as a whole and is definitely a more suitable social network for smart-phones, which seem to be abundant now these days, and has more useful features than Facebook (normal chat, multi-person convo, video chat, etc.), yet it's completely ignored.

The general response I get when I ask someone to try out Google+ is "no one is using it". Right, so why not tell your other friends about said features, response: "they still won't". I ask why and the response I get is "I don't know".
I don't think all my friends who I've asked are clueless but I'm certain that most of them aren't willing to try and at least a few are caught up in the attention seeking status stage that Facebook has become. Which is why, back to the point from my previous post, this Zeitgeist promotion of Google+ is a good thing. People need to see in order to try or understand because word of mouth simply isn't good enough.
I'm saying Facebook will be there too. MY gf disagrees with me, in that so many users use it, that its become ubiquitous, and that is actually my point. So many people use it, and by the amount of shareholders, it will be forced to at least make public its earnings statement, so may as well have a public offering to make that worth while, and then be 'not cool'. Hell...e-mail used to be 'cool' way back when. OMG! its e-mail right in the browser! I can check it anywhere!

Even between "old" facebook and now, I can think of a lot of things that have made it seem less cool. When I first joined, right when they opened it to non .edu e-mails, it still had the little quotes randomly placed around, like, " I'm going to find something cool to put here" and there was a Top Gun quote built in too.

For which there is a group, naturally: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2288936759

I think with 700 million people, they have earned a place among longer term companies, and will probably have a place as a top web destination, but eventually, something will come along thats bigger and better.

With the internet, that company usually isn't one that takes a different spin on the same idea, its one that busts it wide open that wins

Precedent:
Google vs. the world(of search)
-it wasn't a new spin, yeah it was search, but it was completely different then every other single idea out there, with a brand new way to monetize.
Hotmail vs. outlook
-brilliant. make it free, monetize on ads and make every e-mail an ad for a revolutionary new way to e-mail.

Many others.

Google+ probably won't gain traction because it could be technically 'better' but its not different and revolutionary to switch to.