REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   ICBC's actions regarding a hit and run (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659742-icbcs-actions-regarding-hit-run.html)

mqin 12-17-2011 05:55 PM

ICBC's actions regarding a hit and run

Hi Revscene,
I just had a question for anyone who might know, what will happen regarding your claim if you had been involved in a hit and run, as the person who's been hit, to the extent that your vehicle is written off by icbc due to the extensive damage to the motor and autobody.
A) If the hit and run person was found
B) If they were never found

Oh and I'd like to mention that no witnesses choose to stay as they had all left right away after the scene of the accident.

Thank you for your replies!

For those of you who are wondering or might be curious as to what happened exactly and why I'm asking please refer to
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65973...ml#post7729809
dedicated to finding guy who did the hit and run.

Overseas Auto1 12-17-2011 07:59 PM

They would be found at fault and you do not pay deductible.

This is under comprehensive. If the car was written off, I think that ICBC would want to look for the other driver. I am sure there would be a lot of damage on the other car. If they wrote the car and it was hit and run, you might be deducted your deductible.

mqin 12-17-2011 08:50 PM

Okay thank you for the detailed explanation, I do however have one more question. I'm kind of lucky that this didn't happen during any other time of the year because I just started my holidays so I don't really have to go to school or work. But I do want to know, how long would it usually take ICBC to finish their investigation and to complete the write off for my car? I realize nobody can provide an exact amount of time, but just based on your previous experiences if you have any, how long did it take you guys to sort this out?

Qmx323 12-17-2011 08:58 PM

took them 2 months to find the guy that smashed into my fender in a parking lot

but i had the last 2 letters of his license plate

dlo 12-17-2011 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqin (Post 7730061)
Okay thank you for the detailed explanation, I do however have one more question. I'm kind of lucky that this didn't happen during any other time of the year because I just started my holidays so I don't really have to go to school or work. But I do want to know, how long would it usually take ICBC to finish their investigation and to complete the write off for my car? I realize nobody can provide an exact amount of time, but just based on your previous experiences if you have any, how long did it take you guys to sort this out?

write off will be quick, maybe in less than a week, they will than discuss price with you in that week also, investigation, however can take as long as 1 day to iunno, long time?

BallPeenHammer2 12-18-2011 06:58 PM

I will tell you this now:

Check yourself out. Get a lawyer.

ICBC will NOT want to help you when it comes to injuries and writing the car off. They will give you the LOWEST amount of dollars for your vehicle. Check craigslist to see other vehicles that are being sold with the same model year and approximate mileage.

Do your homework. As for injury claims, ICBC will throw you the minimum possible, which would not even cover your medical expenses. If it hurts or doesn't sit right, get it CHECKED.

Take a few minutes and move around a little bit, see if any lateral movements of any parts hurt. See someone at the hospital ASAP.

and i can't stress enough: Get a lawyer.

You will need it.

GL.

mqin 12-18-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7730960)

ICBC will NOT want to help you when it comes to injuries and writing the car off. They will give you the LOWEST amount of dollars for your vehicle. Check craigslist to see other vehicles that are being sold with the same model year and approximate mileage.

Do your homework. As for injury claims, ICBC will throw you the minimum possible, which would not even cover your medical expenses. If it hurts or doesn't sit right, get it CHECKED.

Take a few minutes and move around a little bit, see if any lateral movements of any parts hurt. See someone at the hospital ASAP.

You will need it.

GL.

yeah I'm going to give it a couple of days before jumping to a lawyer, just to see what ICBC will offer me first, I'm just worried that I won't be compensated just because the guy who is at fault for the accident was never caught.

zulutango 12-18-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 (Post 7730960)

You will need it.

GL.

ICBC are not your friends. They are a business and they want to make as much money as possible and pay out as little as possible....like any other business. Your insurance premiums are part of the money they pay out in settling claims....sometime to you and sometimes to others. You would not want them to waste your dollars and increase your premium next year would you?

Saying that, you are entitled to a "fair" claim settlement and that means talking to them in a voice that will make them listen....that may mean speaking thru a lawyer. Fair should mean "legally fair" as that is the basis for the contract you signed when you licensed your car. You should get all that you are legally entitled to and no more or no less. Sometimes this may mean a rude awakening as "legal" could mean it does not meet our perception of "fair". Get a lawyer and get loud if you need to.

TRDood 12-19-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overseas Auto1 (Post 7729999)
They would be found at fault and you do not pay deductible.

This is under comprehensive. If the car was written off, I think that ICBC would want to look for the other driver. I am sure there would be a lot of damage on the other car. If they wrote the car and it was hit and run, you might be deducted your deductible.

Hit and run is not covered under comphrensive. It's under your basic insurance policy.
Posted via RS Mobile

Overseas Auto1 12-19-2011 10:19 AM

ok

mqin 12-19-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7731131)
ICBC are not your friends. They are a business and they want to make as much money as possible and pay out as little as possible....like any other business. Your insurance premiums are part of the money they pay out in settling claims....sometime to you and sometimes to others. You would not want them to waste your dollars and increase your premium next year would you?

Saying that, you are entitled to a "fair" claim settlement and that means talking to them in a voice that will make them listen....that may mean speaking thru a lawyer. Fair should mean "legally fair" as that is the basis for the contract you signed when you licensed your car. You should get all that you are legally entitled to and no more or no less. Sometimes this may mean a rude awakening as "legal" could mean it does not meet our perception of "fair". Get a lawyer and get loud if you need to.

okay thanks for the warning, I honestly didn't know exactly what to expect through ICBC. I hope it won't come to that though just because it'll cost a bit to hire a lawyer and I'm kind of stripped of cash right now but I guess in the long run it'll be profitable. Does anybody recommend a good legal source that I can go to just in case I do need the legal representation? My family friends recommended Bronson Jones & Company LLP but I would appreciate your guy's input as well. Thanks again!

Bainne 12-19-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mqin (Post 7731696)
okay thanks for the warning, I honestly didn't know exactly what to expect through ICBC. I hope it won't come to that though just because it'll cost a bit to hire a lawyer and I'm kind of stripped of cash right now but I guess in the long run it'll be profitable. Does anybody recommend a good legal source that I can go to just in case I do need the legal representation? My family friends recommended Bronson Jones & Company LLP but I would appreciate your guy's input as well. Thanks again!

Lawyers for damage and personal injury work off contingency. This means they collect a percentage fee from a favorable judgement, and generally nothing or a low flat rate for a loss.

You can generally expect this fee to be anywhere from 25%-33% (no higher than 33%).

This will be payable AFTER the case and there is no retainer.

mqin 12-20-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainne (Post 7732051)
Lawyers for damage and personal injury work off contingency. This means they collect a percentage fee from a favorable judgement, and generally nothing or a low flat rate for a loss.

You can generally expect this fee to be anywhere from 25%-33% (no higher than 33%).

Hmmm okay thanks for the insight

NLY 12-20-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainne (Post 7732051)

Pm me if you need a lawyer OP

NLY 12-20-2011 12:53 AM

Dble post.

BallPeenHammer2 12-20-2011 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7731296)
Hit and run is not covered under comphrensive. It's under your basic insurance policy.
Posted via RS Mobile

I believe this may be incorrect. I remember renewing last year and the agent warned me that if I did not get comprehensive, I would NOT be covered for hit and runs.

Basics only cover collision, which is what you had. HOWEVER, given the other party fled the scene of the accident, it now turns into a comprehensive claim given that the situation is now outside of a simple collision.

NOTE: Hit and runs are a criminal offence and chargable by law, if I remember correctly.

Nlkko 12-20-2011 07:34 PM

Noob question but do your premiums go up if you claim comprehensive?

falcon 12-23-2011 08:45 AM

yes

Soundy 12-23-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nlkko (Post 7733221)
Noob question but do your premiums go up if you claim comprehensive?

No, because comprehensive covers when some outside entity does damage to your car, other than by collision. There's no "fault" involved, so it won't affect your claim-rated discount (or surcharge).

ICBC | Comprehensive coverage