REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

ICBC's actions regarding a hit and run

Hi Revscene,
I just had a question for anyone who might know, what will happen regarding your claim if you had been involved in a hit and run, as the person who's been hit, to the extent that your vehicle is written off by icbc due to the extensive damage to the motor and autobody.
A) If the hit and run person was found
B) If they were never found

Oh and I'd like to mention that no witnesses choose to stay as they had all left right away after the scene of the accident.

Thank you for your replies!

For those of you who are wondering or might be curious as to what happened exactly and why I'm asking please refer to
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65973...ml#post7729809
dedicated to finding guy who did the hit and run.
Advertisement
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

They would be found at fault and you do not pay deductible.

This is under comprehensive. If the car was written off, I think that ICBC would want to look for the other driver. I am sure there would be a lot of damage on the other car. If they wrote the car and it was hit and run, you might be deducted your deductible.

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #3

Okay thank you for the detailed explanation, I do however have one more question. I'm kind of lucky that this didn't happen during any other time of the year because I just started my holidays so I don't really have to go to school or work. But I do want to know, how long would it usually take ICBC to finish their investigation and to complete the write off for my car? I realize nobody can provide an exact amount of time, but just based on your previous experiences if you have any, how long did it take you guys to sort this out?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
took them 2 months to find the guy that smashed into my fender in a parking lot

but i had the last 2 letters of his license plate
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 PM   #5
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mqin View Post
Okay thank you for the detailed explanation, I do however have one more question. I'm kind of lucky that this didn't happen during any other time of the year because I just started my holidays so I don't really have to go to school or work. But I do want to know, how long would it usually take ICBC to finish their investigation and to complete the write off for my car? I realize nobody can provide an exact amount of time, but just based on your previous experiences if you have any, how long did it take you guys to sort this out?
write off will be quick, maybe in less than a week, they will than discuss price with you in that week also, investigation, however can take as long as 1 day to iunno, long time?
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I will tell you this now:

Check yourself out. Get a lawyer.

ICBC will NOT want to help you when it comes to injuries and writing the car off. They will give you the LOWEST amount of dollars for your vehicle. Check craigslist to see other vehicles that are being sold with the same model year and approximate mileage.

Do your homework. As for injury claims, ICBC will throw you the minimum possible, which would not even cover your medical expenses. If it hurts or doesn't sit right, get it CHECKED.

Take a few minutes and move around a little bit, see if any lateral movements of any parts hurt. See someone at the hospital ASAP.

and i can't stress enough: Get a lawyer.

You will need it.

GL.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post

ICBC will NOT want to help you when it comes to injuries and writing the car off. They will give you the LOWEST amount of dollars for your vehicle. Check craigslist to see other vehicles that are being sold with the same model year and approximate mileage.

Do your homework. As for injury claims, ICBC will throw you the minimum possible, which would not even cover your medical expenses. If it hurts or doesn't sit right, get it CHECKED.

Take a few minutes and move around a little bit, see if any lateral movements of any parts hurt. See someone at the hospital ASAP.

You will need it.

GL.
yeah I'm going to give it a couple of days before jumping to a lawyer, just to see what ICBC will offer me first, I'm just worried that I won't be compensated just because the guy who is at fault for the accident was never caught.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post

You will need it.

GL.

ICBC are not your friends. They are a business and they want to make as much money as possible and pay out as little as possible....like any other business. Your insurance premiums are part of the money they pay out in settling claims....sometime to you and sometimes to others. You would not want them to waste your dollars and increase your premium next year would you?

Saying that, you are entitled to a "fair" claim settlement and that means talking to them in a voice that will make them listen....that may mean speaking thru a lawyer. Fair should mean "legally fair" as that is the basis for the contract you signed when you licensed your car. You should get all that you are legally entitled to and no more or no less. Sometimes this may mean a rude awakening as "legal" could mean it does not meet our perception of "fair". Get a lawyer and get loud if you need to.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overseas Auto1 View Post
They would be found at fault and you do not pay deductible.

This is under comprehensive. If the car was written off, I think that ICBC would want to look for the other driver. I am sure there would be a lot of damage on the other car. If they wrote the car and it was hit and run, you might be deducted your deductible.
Hit and run is not covered under comphrensive. It's under your basic insurance policy.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #10
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

ok

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
ICBC are not your friends. They are a business and they want to make as much money as possible and pay out as little as possible....like any other business. Your insurance premiums are part of the money they pay out in settling claims....sometime to you and sometimes to others. You would not want them to waste your dollars and increase your premium next year would you?

Saying that, you are entitled to a "fair" claim settlement and that means talking to them in a voice that will make them listen....that may mean speaking thru a lawyer. Fair should mean "legally fair" as that is the basis for the contract you signed when you licensed your car. You should get all that you are legally entitled to and no more or no less. Sometimes this may mean a rude awakening as "legal" could mean it does not meet our perception of "fair". Get a lawyer and get loud if you need to.
okay thanks for the warning, I honestly didn't know exactly what to expect through ICBC. I hope it won't come to that though just because it'll cost a bit to hire a lawyer and I'm kind of stripped of cash right now but I guess in the long run it'll be profitable. Does anybody recommend a good legal source that I can go to just in case I do need the legal representation? My family friends recommended Bronson Jones & Company LLP but I would appreciate your guy's input as well. Thanks again!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqin View Post
okay thanks for the warning, I honestly didn't know exactly what to expect through ICBC. I hope it won't come to that though just because it'll cost a bit to hire a lawyer and I'm kind of stripped of cash right now but I guess in the long run it'll be profitable. Does anybody recommend a good legal source that I can go to just in case I do need the legal representation? My family friends recommended Bronson Jones & Company LLP but I would appreciate your guy's input as well. Thanks again!
Lawyers for damage and personal injury work off contingency. This means they collect a percentage fee from a favorable judgement, and generally nothing or a low flat rate for a loss.

You can generally expect this fee to be anywhere from 25%-33% (no higher than 33%).

This will be payable AFTER the case and there is no retainer.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
Lawyers for damage and personal injury work off contingency. This means they collect a percentage fee from a favorable judgement, and generally nothing or a low flat rate for a loss.

You can generally expect this fee to be anywhere from 25%-33% (no higher than 33%).

Hmmm okay thanks for the insight
Old 12-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #14
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post

Pm me if you need a lawyer OP

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 12-20-2011 at 12:55 AM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #15
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Dble post.

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Hit and run is not covered under comphrensive. It's under your basic insurance policy.
Posted via RS Mobile
I believe this may be incorrect. I remember renewing last year and the agent warned me that if I did not get comprehensive, I would NOT be covered for hit and runs.

Basics only cover collision, which is what you had. HOWEVER, given the other party fled the scene of the accident, it now turns into a comprehensive claim given that the situation is now outside of a simple collision.

NOTE: Hit and runs are a criminal offence and chargable by law, if I remember correctly.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #17
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Noob question but do your premiums go up if you claim comprehensive?
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

yes

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Noob question but do your premiums go up if you claim comprehensive?
No, because comprehensive covers when some outside entity does damage to your car, other than by collision. There's no "fault" involved, so it won't affect your claim-rated discount (or surcharge).

ICBC | Comprehensive coverage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote