REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC claim (https://www.revscene.net/forums/659778-icbc-claim.html)

Recon604 12-18-2011 01:20 PM

ICBC claim

so I got into an accident, the other persons fault. She crashed my trunk and bumper. So I am planning to get a different kind of bumper, am I allowed to do this? I am willing to pay the difference of this bumper to the original one.

doma 12-18-2011 01:36 PM

you must be at the wrong website, your looking for ICBC | home

4444 12-18-2011 02:33 PM

just talk to your ICBC adjuster and ask them, its a simple question & they'll answer yay or nay

flagella 12-18-2011 03:31 PM

sometimes they let u sometimes they don't

FerrariEnzo 12-18-2011 03:53 PM

just tell them to write the cheque and you will go buy your own bumper and install it yourself?

TRDood 12-18-2011 04:30 PM

They will be reluctant to do so, I don't think it's a common thing to do.

Last time, a person crashed into my car, I needed a new front bumper replaced. I supplied my own front bumper (different trim but still OEM) to the bodyshop, ICBC cuts me a cheque for the book value of the front bumper (my trim), body shop paints my supplied bumper.

ICBC is indifferent because they have to pay for a replacement front bumper anyways. The bodyshop is not too happy, as I think the bodyshop could have taken a "deeper cut" if the bodyshop uses its own source supplier.

shantz 12-18-2011 08:17 PM

I've done it before on an ICBC claim. It really depends on the shop, and how difficult it would be to source and obtain the aftermarket bumper. It also depends on fitment (fiberglass vs. SMC).

I've done M-style conversions on non-M cars (BMW). I've done facelift conversions on many different makes/models, changed lights within models (smoked vs. non-smoked), added HID kits, and added aftermarket style bumpers to several makes and models. At then end of the day, if you're willing to pay the added cost, and because the accident is not your fault, ICBC usually won't have an issue with it.

Lemme know if you have any questions.

Jake Song You 12-18-2011 08:21 PM

depends on dat adjuster u get if hes not a textbook strateshooter den he can probubly help u wit an oembmper yeknow. shuld probs give it a try

Leopold Stotch 12-19-2011 09:04 PM

i've got it done before. The body shop had to order my bumper first, then returned it and ordered the one i wanted. From how he explained it to me was he had to show ICBC that they ordered the right bumper for me and then switched it up afterwards.

falcon 12-20-2011 09:35 AM

Yes you can. Bring it to a shop that does ICBC claims and tell them before hand. Many places will do it for you. A lot of the times the aftermarket costs less than the OEM. Or if it's more you pay the difference.

falcon 12-20-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7732281)
i've got it done before. The body shop had to order my bumper first, then returned it and ordered the one i wanted. From how he explained it to me was he had to show ICBC that they ordered the right bumper for me and then switched it up afterwards.

ICBC dosen't care. As long as they are only paying what the OEM/OEM replacement is worth it dosen't matter. I did ICBC claims on a daily basis for motorcycles and our road adjuster knew we did it and he was fine with it. A lot of the times things ended up costing less.

It's when you charge ICBC for an OEM part, buy an aftermarket part that's cheaper and keep the difference when things get shady.

Basically, you get your estimate done with OEM parts. Send that to ICBC for approval. After it's approved you can supp aftermarket parts if it's cheaper and change it on the estimate to the aftermarket par and if it's more you make the cust pay the difference.