REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   59-year old woman wins truck with amazing shot (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660023-59-year-old-woman-wins-truck-amazing-shot.html)

Presto 12-22-2011 08:40 AM

59-year old woman wins truck with amazing shot

What a goal! I cheered :) Looks like she really needed a new vehicle, as well.

She takes the shot at 1:05

Quote:

If you lined up Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Daniel and Henrik Sedin and Pavel Datsyuk at the opposite blue line and asked them to pass the puck through a hole in the net that is barely larger than the puck itself, I’d say that there is about a 3% chance that any of them successfully hits the target. If you asked a 59-year-old woman to do the same, I’d say there is about a 0.001% chance that she does it.

Luckily for Brenda Hewlett, 0.001% was all she needed.

As the story goes, Brenda was at Frenchie’s Ford dealership on Friday getting her old truck serviced when she said, “god, I wish I could afford a new truck, because mine is falling apart.” It must have been her lucky day, as the dealership was holding a draw for a chance to win a new 2011 Ford F-150 4×4.

Brenda filled out a ballot and it was picked from the box later that day, bringing her one step closer to the new truck she coveted so much. The only problem was that the final step would require her to shoot a puck from 114-feet away into a hole that is barely larger than the size of a regulation hockey puck. It is a feat that is difficult enough for anyone who has played hockey their entire life, let alone someone who has never previously held a hockey stick or shot a puck.

But despite having the odds stacked against her, Brenda grabbed a hold of the stick, took an aggressive slap at the puck, and sent the puck 114 feet down the ice and into the hole, earning her a brand new 2011 Ford F-150 4×4. It is a story that is almost too hard to believe, but it certainly happened, and we have the footage to prove it.source.

MG1 12-22-2011 08:52 AM

Man, someone up there's looking out for her. Damn nice to see that.

Love the helmet, btw.

VrrM604 12-22-2011 09:00 AM

bet the Ford dealership never thought someone would win..lol

Soundy 12-22-2011 09:09 AM

Quick, get her under contract!

shenmecar 12-22-2011 09:53 AM

WOW!

InvisibleSoul 12-22-2011 10:24 AM

Saw it on SportsCentre last night... one of these awesome stories where there are no losers.

Zoidberg 12-22-2011 10:28 AM

Wasn't there a time someone did this and they wouldn't give the winner their prize? Anyone remember?

supershopper 12-22-2011 10:49 AM

^ yeah a little boy "won" $10,000 but the win was voided because it was his twin brother who was supposed to take the shot.

Bender Unit 12-22-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VrrM604 (Post 7734797)
bet the Ford dealership never thought someone would win..lol

Exactly :accepted: Frenchie’s Ford

Presto 12-22-2011 10:56 AM

I'm sure the dealership costs are covered by the insurance.

SumAznGuy 12-22-2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7734929)
I'm sure the dealership costs are covered by the insurance.

I'd say no. The cost of insurance is quite high. In this case, they can write off the truck as part of advertising cost.

TheKingdom2000 12-22-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeGusta (Post 7734891)
Wasn't there a time someone did this and they wouldn't give the winner their prize? Anyone remember?

yeah, i remember that too. The guy shot the puck over the blue line and it went it. I'm pretty sure he didn't win. But, i'm not sure and i don't remember when or where that happened.

Presto 12-22-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7734944)
I'd say no. The cost of insurance is quite high. In this case, they can write off the truck as part of advertising cost.

Why would insurance be high? Insurance is all about risk. The higher the risk, the higher the cost. How likely would someone be to make that kind of shot? The announcer said in his 60 years, he's never seen anyone make it.

Likely, they have some form of "Hole-in-One" insurance.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 12-22-2011 12:13 PM

she is better then me!

SumAznGuy 12-22-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7734965)
Why would insurance be high? Insurance is all about risk. The higher the risk, the higher the cost. How likely would someone be to make that kind of shot? The announcer said in his 60 years, he's never seen anyone make it.

Likely, they have some form of "Hole-in-One" insurance.

Yes there is hole-in-one type insurance, but it is also possible that they didn't use insurance and take it as part of advertisement cost to offer the car.

It's not like they are offering 1M dollars as the prize.

When London Drugs does their shot to win contest at Canuck games, prizes are paid out through the company and not through insurance.

How much is the truck worth? $40K? The company can easily write that off at the end of the year.

Presto 12-22-2011 01:39 PM

I failed you because you mentioned high insurance costs, and they really aren't.

DJ Milk 12-22-2011 01:39 PM

Now she needs to pay the the tax portion in cash :awwyeah:

SumAznGuy 12-22-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoop Monkey Monk (Post 7735099)
Now she needs to pay the the tax portion in cash :awwyeah:

Oh crap. You're right. This was in the US. Car is valued at $50K according to another article.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7735097)
I failed you because you mentioned high insurance costs, and they really aren't.

Yet if they make a claim on the insurnace, you don't think that would affect future insurance premiums and deductables?

Presto 12-22-2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7735112)
Yet if they make a claim on the insurnace, you don't think that would affect future insurance premiums and deductables?

I doubt this would be like your car or home insurance. This is how I've seen it done before:

The insurance company essentially makes the bet that no one will be able to do it. They calculate the odds, and put up the money. The sponsor will pay for the opportunity to do the contest, say $1,000, and then the insurance puts up the prize if someone actually wins. The sponsor gets its advertising. The insurance makes coin.

Anjew 12-22-2011 03:05 PM

dealership took a risk and leveraged one of the vehicles. I'm sure they were laughing at the fact that it was free marketing until now....

so the following is wrong:
Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7734885)
Saw it on SportsCentre last night... one of these awesome stories where there are no losers.

the dealership is the loser this time. :smug:

skyxx 12-22-2011 03:13 PM

Who gives a shit how the dealership can write the truck off or not. Lets pay more attention to this woman who took an amazing shot!!!!

Soundy 12-22-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Presto (Post 7735133)
I doubt this would be like your car or home insurance. This is how I've seen it done before:

The insurance company essentially makes the bet that no one will be able to do it. They calculate the odds, and put up the money. The sponsor will pay for the opportunity to do the contest, say $1,000, and then the insurance puts up the prize if someone actually wins. The sponsor gets its advertising. The insurance makes coin.

From someone whose wife works in the insurance industry: this is actually pretty close to how it works.

vitaminG 12-22-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 7735093)
Yes there is hole-in-one type insurance, but it is also possible that they didn't use insurance and take it as part of advertisement cost to offer the car.

It's not like they are offering 1M dollars as the prize.

When London Drugs does their shot to win contest at Canuck games, prizes are paid out through the company and not through insurance.

How much is the truck worth? $40K? The company can easily write that off at the end of the year.

you dont have a clue, almost every raffle or contest like this is insured. How would any small-medium size business be able to account for a Infinitesimal chance of having an additional 50k advertising expense at the end of the year.

Thats even assuming this sort of thing could be written off at all.

Soundy 12-22-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vitaminG (Post 7735297)
you dont have a clue, almost every raffle or contest like this is insured. How would any small-medium size business be able to account for a Infinitesimal chance of having an additional 50k advertising expense at the end of the year.

Thats even assuming this sort of thing could be written off at all.

Bingo.

Sure it's a slim chance, but it's still a chance that you're going to have a BIG hit to your bottom line. No intelligent business owner would take that risk, especially when there are types of insurance offered *specifically for this purpose*.

This isn't something that would have anything to do with a company's regular yearly insurance premiums, because it IS a specialty policy purchased specifically for the event.

There are even brokers that deal entirely in specialty coverages like this:
ICSB Insurance - Specialty Brokers
Prize Insurance
Hole in One Insurance | Low Cost Hole in One Insurance
Promotional Insurance - Automotive Consulting Company

"Through our sister company, Clean Sweep Promotions, we insure contingent cash and prize giveaways up to $1,000,000. Our clients are able to offer these prizes with no financial risk. You pay a minimal premium, and Clean Sweep Promotions foots the bill when there is a winner.

This way you are able to evoke excitement and action in your customers while staying on a fixed budget."

SumAznGuy 12-22-2011 06:49 PM

VG, your a tool. Advertisement cost can easily be written off at the end of the year as cost of doing business.

Thanks for the links Soundy. Looks like insurance cost is around 2-9% of the prize's worth. Makes more sense to write off $1000 for the insurance policy than a $32K truck.