REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Wendy's employee is victim of armed robbery, kills perp with his own gun (https://www.revscene.net/forums/660509-wendys-employee-victim-armed-robbery-kills-perp-his-own-gun.html)

nns 12-31-2011 07:55 PM

Wendy's employee is victim of armed robbery, kills perp with his own gun

SAVANNAH, Ga. — Police in Georgia say a fast-food worker grabbed his gun and shot and killed a man suspected of robbing the restaurant near Savannah.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police say the suspect's body was found in the parking lot of the Wendy's restaurant around 12:50 a.m. Thursday in Wilmington Island.

Detectives say two men with masks had surprised the employee while he was cleaning the store after closing and forced him at gunpoint into the office, where they took money. When the worker walked outside with his own weapon, police say one of the men pointed a weapon at him and he was shot and killed.

Police say they're now trying to identify the second suspect, who ran from the restaurant.

Police: Ga. fast-food worker kills robbery suspect $| ajc.com

4doorVIP 12-31-2011 08:38 PM

good on him
live by the sword die by the sword
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CJyMpUDh8q...0/fuck+yea.gif

b0unce. [?] 12-31-2011 08:58 PM

it's just wendy's...

cliffhanger33 12-31-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] (Post 7745052)
it's just wendy's...

it's the principle of the matter

Excelsis 12-31-2011 09:24 PM

so a robber and a worker died? ..

see.lai 01-01-2012 12:12 AM

wow this guy has balls..

geeknerd 01-01-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha v2 (Post 7745057)
so a robber and a worker died? ..

its confusing, but it means:

Quote:

When the worker walked outside with his own weapon, police say one of the men(suspect 1) pointed a weapon at him(employee) and he(suspect 1) was shot and killed.

spoon.ek9 01-01-2012 09:28 AM

^ yep, worded very poorly.

MindBomber 01-01-2012 10:08 AM

Vigilante justice has no place in an evolved society, the person did not have the right to issue a death sentence to the individual.

Of course, America is not an evolved society.

quasi 01-01-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7745280)
Vigilante justice has no place in an evolved society, the person did not have the right to issue a death sentence to the individual.

It says the man pointed a gun at him in the parking lot so he shot and killed him. That's not Vigilante justice it's self defense.

MindBomber 01-01-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quasi (Post 7745283)
It says the man pointed a gun at him in the parking lot so he shot and killed him. That's not Vigilante justice it's self defense.

The employee ran out of the store with his own gun, that's not self defense and I don't see how anyone could possibly look at it that way.

The robber raising his gun was clearly a response to the employee's gun, if anything that was self defense.

nns 01-01-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7745286)
The robber raising his gun was clearly a response to the employee's gun, if anything that was self defense.

That would be your assumption.

nns 01-01-2012 11:01 AM

Please explain your fail.

MindBomber 01-01-2012 11:10 AM

Assumption, yes, I can't see inside a dead person from Georgia's mind.

It's a completely reasonable extrapolation of the events though and your post make it sound as if it is not; the robbers chose to leave without shooting the employee and only raised the gun as a result of being faced with the employee chasing after them with his gun. If they had the intention of shooting him, why would they have attempted to leave without doing so?

Regardless, fail removed.

hk20000 01-01-2012 11:12 AM

could have shot him in the knee with an arrow.....oh wait it's 2012.

nns 01-01-2012 11:40 AM

Georgia has a "Stand your ground" law, so the victim has no duty to retreat. Force is met with force, including deadly force. sb396.html

Just something to think about.

Excelsis 01-01-2012 11:43 AM

who cares, it's a robber

mnash 01-01-2012 11:51 AM

We need more people like that fast-food guy.

dangonay 01-01-2012 12:38 PM

The guy will get fired from Wendy's, they'll release a statement saying it's company policy for employees to cooperate with robbers and he didn't follow procedures, and the guy will be charged for murder or maybe manslaughter.

That's my prediction based simply on the fact the employee went out and chased after the robbers.

That link to the Georgia "stand your ground" law doesn't apply here because the robbery was over as the robbers had already left. If he had shot a robber during the actual robbery attempt then he'd be fine.

There have been similar cases, and the fact the guy chased the robbers and shot one is what's going to sink him.

The robbers may be POS assholes, but you can't forgoe due process for the assholes and give the "nice guys" a fair trial.

Bonjour43MA 01-01-2012 04:00 PM

http://badwraps.phpwebhosting.com/st...l911343432.jpg

I think every person in Canada should have the right to defend their lives with deadly force, if necessary. If someone comes into your house with a knife and tries to attack you, it is not your social responsibility to be the victim or being "politically correct" in handling the situation. Preserving your own life is a basic human right.

In this case, however, the employee was too overzealous in chasing after the bad guy, instead of simply trying to protect himself from being killed. This is in the US, though, so it's hard to say what will happen to him. If he was in Canada you can bet your ass he'll be charged with manslaughter or even murder.

Ronin 01-01-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7745280)

Are you absolutely insane? If someone has a gun to my head, my number one thought is how do I kill that person before he kills me.

The only way this story could get better is if the Wendy's guy killed both of them.

How on earth do you come in on the side of the robbers here? There is no situation where the world isn't better off with them dead.

Ronin 01-01-2012 04:15 PM

Oh wait, so the Wendy's guy went and shot them AFTER they robbed him and were leaving?

Well that's not exactly kosher in the eyes of the law...he's not going to get the benefit of self-defense argument but meh, who cares? He killed a scumbag robber.

MindBomber 01-01-2012 04:31 PM

Edit: ^^now I see what you based your example on!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronin (Post 7745499)
Are you absolutely insane? If someone has a gun to my head, my number one thought is how do I kill that person before he kills me.

The only way this story could get better is if the Wendy's guy killed both of them.

How on earth do you come in on the side of the robbers here? There is no situation where the world isn't better off with them dead.

That example isn't even comparable to what happened, it doesn't make sense.

The employee's life was not in imminent danger, if it had been the actions would be justified and he would be protected from prosecution under Georgia state law; in this scenario the employee followed the victim outside the building and appointed himself judge and jury.

In modern society, we don't issue a death penalty for robbery. Instead, we give the person a trial and set a punishment based on established penalties and precedences. For better or worse, everyone is entitled to those rights, we can't make exceptions just because the world is better off without them. If we did, the entire system would collapse.

Ronin 01-01-2012 04:34 PM

Yeah, the wording of this story is confusing. If you skim it, the details get lost easy.

Understandably, there's no death penalty for robbery...but I understand what that guy did. I may have thought about it since without the self-defense argument, he'll more likely get manslaughter. I would've thought about the consequences but in the moment, I might've been so angry and scared that I would've shot the guy too.

kuruuze 01-01-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonjour43MA (Post 7745493)

I think every person in Canada should have the right to defend their lives with deadly force, if necessary. If someone comes into your house with a knife and tries to attack you, it is not your social responsibility to be the victim or being "politically correct" in handling the situation. Preserving your own life is a basic human right.

In this case, however, the employee was too overzealous in chasing after the bad guy, instead of simply trying to protect himself from being killed. This is in the US, though, so it's hard to say what will happen to him. If he was in Canada you can bet your ass he'll be charged with manslaughter or even murder.

100% Agree with this statement. This is something I believe the States has one-upped on Canada. We should bring castle law over here in Canada. I'm tired of hearing all these "Victim was charged for not bending over and taking it without lube from robber/assailant/home invader" cases. If someone is breaking into my home with the intent of robbing/harming me it should be my right to end him, one less scumbag in society to worry about you'd be doing the community a favour. I bet the fear of being pumped full of slug rounds would deter robbers to the point that break-ins are rare... but no that would work too well and this is anti-gun Vancouver.