REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

So for issues like this would you guys recommend to first flush the tranny? I keep reading that a flush can fuck it up worse especially if you've driven on the same fluid for a while (something about flushing the particles holding the tranny together ). I was thinkin to hit up mr lube but keep putting it off for fear of everything fukking up... sigh
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 View Post
So for issues like this would you guys recommend to first flush the tranny? I keep reading that a flush can fuck it up worse especially if you've driven on the same fluid for a while (something about flushing the particles holding the tranny together ). I was thinkin to hit up mr lube but keep putting it off for fear of everything fukking up... sigh
A tranny flush is preventive maintenance...doesn't cure a flawed tranny design.
Just run the car until it finally fails or get it fixed.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #28
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Honda's automatic transmissions for the V6s are notorious for these problems. Odysseys, Accords, CLs, and TLs from ~1999 to ~2006 had these problems. It's got to do with overheating of the third gear clutch pack.

My 2002 CL has a problem with it also. Once in a while, after the transmission has warmed up, it just won't hold on to gear 3. I slip it into the SportShift and pop it up into fourth and I'm good for the rest of the day.

Warranties were extended to 7 years after the date of purchase or 160,000 km for the TLs and CLs up to 2003. Some people have had luck going straight to Honda Canada and complaining even after their warranty had expired.

Local transmission shops have their own ways of fixing this; Richmond Acura sent their customers' transmissions to this guy by River Rock. I spoke with him and he replaces the crappy internals that give out with more durable ones, among other modifications in his rebuild. I think his cost came to $2000. I haven't gone ahead with it yet.

I was reading on Acurazine a while back and found a few threads of guys who swapped in 04-06 Odyssey and TL (non Type-S) transmissions. (Half of the 07 TLs produced got a complete make-over of the tranny so they're hit and miss for swaps. The bell housing bolt pattern is what differs.) They aren't a direct swap and thus require some parts to swap over from your old tranny including the range switch and the filter housing, and also some holes need to be tapped into the housing. Custom work for someone who knows what s/he's doing.

I'm going to try my luck with contacting Honda Canada... my dad used to work for them. If not, I'll be going to that guy near River Rock. I'll post his info here later.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #29

+ Honda 5th gen Preludes (auto) are super notorious for tran failures.
Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXBoii View Post
ur hitting VTECH far too often
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #31
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

So, we just came back from AAlltech Transmissions, they've been doing transmissions for a looonnngg time now, so we pretty much trust them.

What he explained to us was that there must of been bits and pieces of the transmission floating around the oil

Since the tranny failure was overnight, the metal pieces must have gotten clogged in the filter not allowing oil to pass through while the oil set. That apparently caused some mechanism in the gearing to rub metal on metal making it lose the grip needed to grab onto gears.

So what they are going to do is replace all the seals, replace the broken mechanisms, might change the torque converter as well if necessary.

Price quote in the 2G's section.
Elementwingz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:26 AM   #32

Sorry to hear, this shit is usually costly.
Try getting a few other opinions without telling each guy what the other one diagnosed
Old 01-04-2012, 04:43 AM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Honda's automatic transmissions for the V6s are notorious for these problems. Odysseys, Accords, CLs, and TLs from ~1999 to ~2006 had these problems. It's got to do with overheating of the third gear clutch pack.

My 2002 CL has a problem with it also. Once in a while, after the transmission has warmed up, it just won't hold on to gear 3. I slip it into the SportShift and pop it up into fourth and I'm good for the rest of the day.

Warranties were extended to 7 years after the date of purchase or 160,000 km for the TLs and CLs up to 2003. Some people have had luck going straight to Honda Canada and complaining even after their warranty had expired.

Local transmission shops have their own ways of fixing this; Richmond Acura sent their customers' transmissions to this guy by River Rock. I spoke with him and he replaces the crappy internals that give out with more durable ones, among other modifications in his rebuild. I think his cost came to $2000. I haven't gone ahead with it yet.

I was reading on Acurazine a while back and found a few threads of guys who swapped in 04-06 Odyssey and TL (non Type-S) transmissions. (Half of the 07 TLs produced got a complete make-over of the tranny so they're hit and miss for swaps. The bell housing bolt pattern is what differs.) They aren't a direct swap and thus require some parts to swap over from your old tranny including the range switch and the filter housing, and also some holes need to be tapped into the housing. Custom work for someone who knows what s/he's doing.

I'm going to try my luck with contacting Honda Canada... my dad used to work for them. If not, I'll be going to that guy near River Rock. I'll post his info here later.
Please let us know how it goes and the info of this guy. Thanks