REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #126
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Got sick recently with a throat infection of some sort and stopped smoking. Quit for a few days and today decided to smoke a Belmont during work. Tasted like absolute shit for some reason. Bumping it down to Number Seven Blue's probably towards the road to quitting
do you remember your first cigarette? if you do, it should of tasted like ass too.
that's your body telling you that cigarettes is poison.
since you stopped smoking for a couple days, your body's no longer use to the taste of the cigarette.

Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #127
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
a bunch of my friends recently started with the e-cig, 1 friend in particular had gone down from 2 packs a day to 0 in the matter of a week, hes been 4 months in and cant believe he smoked as long as he did, hes slowly dialing back the nicotine level on the e-cig also! seems to be a good method
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #128
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by guddagudd View Post
^smokes a different kind of cigarette, probably towards the road to quitting
From 4 cigs a day to 2 now. I don't smoke a lot from the start but I think losing the craving already makes it a little better
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #129
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by snails View Post
a bunch of my friends recently started with the e-cig, 1 friend in particular had gone down from 2 packs a day to 0 in the matter of a week, hes been 4 months in and cant believe he smoked as long as he did, hes slowly dialing back the nicotine level on the e-cig also! seems to be a good method
One of my classmates is doing this. It was going great for a while but he started cracking and he's smoking again now
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #130
My homepage has been set to RS

I'm coming up 5 months clean!! Been smoking on/off for the 10+ years. Finally made the decision on Jan 1..started on E-cigs which contains no nicotine...Was puffing on those things like mad. But about 3 weeks in i realized I'm just puffing vapor and felt stupid, realizing there was no point. So I just kind of stopped. I feel healthier..been gymming and eating real healthy.

My buddy whos been smoking for the past 15 years quit as well using the e-cigs. It's also good to have someone do it with you. Nobody wants to be the first one to cave in.
Ducdesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
From 4 cigs a day to 2 now. I don't smoke a lot from the start but I think losing the craving already makes it a little better
What's the point of 2 a day. Just stop.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #132
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
^ you think its that easy but its not.. going cold turkey is horrible, slowly cutting down is the way to go!!!
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #133
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Doesn't work like that for everybody. I've cut down to 1-2 a day. Tried the cold turkey thing. Felt like I couldn't function.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
You think its basically pointless I know, but when your hand starts wanting to just hold one that kind of jittery feeling then I have one. Everyone is different I guess
Old 04-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #135
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Anything less than what you started with is good. At least you're headed in the right direction.

From my understanding, anything less than 8 cigs a day is no longer a physical addiction but the mind is a powerful thing and old habits are hard to break.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #136
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

been 5 months now.. cut down before going cold turkey

i've quit cold turkey twice for about half a year each and i would get bad head aches/fatigue/insomnia... wasnt fun and i dont plan on starting again
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #137

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
In my opinion, E-cigs are just like drinking .5% coolers when you're trying to stop drinking. You're not actually stopping, your brain is still receiving the small amount of alcohol to stop the crave, just like e-cigs and nicotine products.

I had been a casual smoker for several years; I would associate it with relaxing, so after work, meals, lazing about at home. But I found when I stayed busy, I never thought about it.

Recently I went through a personal development seminar, and discovered among many things that 3rd day of a 5 day intense course, and it was made very clear that I wasn't taking steps to showing love for myself enough. Smoking was definitely not a way to do that.

So one night after the course, I went home, struggling with "I gotta love myself more" and "but I really wanna smoke and relax"...so gave in, and had a smoke on my deck.

It felt different. It wasn't pleasant, and I was shaking, and I felt weak. I decided then to run the rest of the pack under the tap, throw it in the trash, and I went to bed.

I've decided not to go back to it. It's not helping my life goals, it's embarassing, and the short term gain is not worth the long term risk.

So don't quit it, like you'll miss it. Just stop. Make the choice, commit, and stop. The mind can overcome anything.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 PM   #138

ive been smoking for around 9 years, so i know its hard to quit. i try several times a year but guess i havent tried hard enough.
I also tried cold turkey several times, id go about 12 hours then i just cave.
gone from 2 packs down to 1 all the way down to half a pack then back up again.
now im stuck around half a pack to a pack each day. then if its a longer day ill be at 2+
i also think its harder for me to quit when a lot of my friends smoke.

but congrats to you guys that already quit!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 AM   #139
PRINCESS

By any chance did change of seasons effect you guys at all?
For eg. I seem to smoke a lot more during winter and spring. But not so much in summer and fall.
Been having really hard time lately.... As silly as this sound debating whether I should wait till summer
SAD is a mood disorder that affects ppl during winter/spring. Wonder if that has anything to do with quitting smoking too.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #140

I don't think it's gonna matter for you because the weather will be nice, you'll go to parties etc and through that you'll find an excuse to keep smoking.

Listen, I know there's definitely a strong chemical dependency, hence the nicotine patches etc. But I would really recommend taking a long hard look into WHY you started smoking, and why you continue and what you get from it. Taking this Personal Development seminar was a really good way to dig deep into reasons why I do things and what holds me back, and reveals and makes clear what it is you want in life. Chances are, your smoking is getting in your way.

I don't work for the company, but if you're interested it's called LBSeminar | LEADING-EDGE TRAINING Or try a different one, I'm just saying: Might be time to approach your addiction from a different angle.
1986 Porsche 944, Black
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #141
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I've kicked crack, heroine, meth and opiates but cigarettes, not yet

procrastinating on that Alan Carr book
Isaiah11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #142

^My dad smoked most of his life and stopped smoking after reading that book. Do it man!
1986 Porsche 944, Black
Old 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #143

Everyone has a reason to start smoking. Whether it be friends, family, or something stressful. It's never that you would start because you "feel like it" because it doesn't work that way. For me it was family because even though I had a privileged family, the connection was always distinctional. Yea I agree with spartanair that you should really look into why you started and what you can do to solve this problem first the best you can if its possible. I started treating my family a little better and talking to them more so that there is that fundamental trust and respect to start off with. It's been better than before but I mean it's never going to be solved over a short amount of time and I have stopped smoking for the wrong reasons. I used to be so frustrated over having to use my parents things they bought like a computer and they would start to control my rebellion with things they owned. In the end, I got a job am bought my own and soon after they pretty much got off my back because I bought and use what's rightfully mine. It took a while and many packs of cigarettes to get it finally through my head but it finally did and it worked a bit.

Lately I have been smoking quite less because there's no reason to. Life has been better with family an friends and relationships are fine as well. Nothing to be too stressed about but now even losing the reason to smoke for the wrong reason has been excellent for me.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #144
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Still keeping my smoking well under control (pack every two weeks), but work (especially as a mechanic) and personal disappointments are still stressful enough to smoke, even with outlets like the gym. It seems whenever I can find a window to reduce my intake or even quit, something from work bites hard enough to keep me on it. More or less it's probably the hostile work environment, because I've been around a couple of shops where no tech smokes, and there's a strong sense of cohesion and the shop atmosphere as a whole is relaxed and welcoming. I walk into mine, there's no organization whatsoever, everyone is at each other's throats, and there's a nearly constant sense of resentment.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #145
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Been trying to cut down. To be honest, I've only recently started, it was all because of work. Stress was killing me. I even had an ulcer and insomnia. Smokes, as bad as they are helped me (maybe just in my head) with the stress and anxiety. I usually turn to the bottle, but you can't really do that at work, so that was the option.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #146
SDU
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Has anyone tried laser therapy from imagine laser works? I have a few friends that are quite heavy smokers 15+ years and have successfully kicked the habit after the one laser therapy session.

Btw, it will most likely not be covered by extended benefits unlike the other methods
SDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #147
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
uugggh. i feel like shit.

tired
depressed
anxious

overall "blah" feeling and SOOOO lightheaded! why am i so light headed? anyone else get this?

can't wait to feel normal again.

smoke for 15 years....so gross.
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #148
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
uugggh. i feel like shit.

tired
depressed
anxious

overall "blah" feeling and SOOOO lightheaded! why am i so light headed? anyone else get this?

can't wait to feel normal again.

smoke for 15 years....so gross.
Smokers blood caries 10-20% higher 02 levels, it's the body's method of adjusting to the higher levels of CO cigarettes cause. When you quit, the CO levels suddenly drop, but the 02 levels remain elevated. The body will adjust the 02 levels to meet the lowered CO levels, but it takes some time, and until then, you're in a low level of hyperventilation. The hyperventilation makes you sleepy, lightheaded, and kinda dopey. It's really common. It'll progressively lessen and go away.

Congrats on quitting!
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 PM   #149
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Thanks dude, that makes me feel better
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #150
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Hey guys I myself started smoking back when I was 16 not really a heavy smoker tho I'd say about 3-5 sticks on a regular day but more whenever i go party and stuff...I did quit for about a yr and a half back in 07 and then went back to smoking again lol.But the good thing is its not really that hard for me to quit smoking as I'm smoke free again since the 1st of the year.no cutting down just cold turkey.
675D current
TL DPcurrent
marky_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: