REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Total Confusion: A New Calendar Suggestion

http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...-identical-one

Each year stays the same, so Jan.3 is a Tuesday for the end of time. No leap years, instead a leap week every 5 years.

I think at the end of the day, we need to devote our scientists to solving real problems.

Quote:
As the calendar turns over to a new year, a couple of researchers over at Johns Hopkins University are rethinking the way we tick off the days during our annual trip around the sun. The duo has devised a new yearly calendar in which each 12-month period is identical to the one before--meaning if your birthday is on a Monday one year, it’s on a Monday every year--until the end of time.

The Hanke-Henry Permanent Calendar--named for Richard Conn Henry and Steve H. Hanke at JHU, the researchers behind the reformed calendar--isn’t just a realignment of the way we count days, but a simplification of the overall economic rhythm of the world. All the time and effort spent adjusting calendars and schedules every year to accommodate shifting days of the week could be saved, they argue. The man hours and money saved by a uniform year would be tremendous.

The calendar consists of the same12 months as the current Gregorian year, but the months have been adjusted subtly to make each quarter exactly 91 days long--two 30-day months and one 31-day month. That means September, June, March, and December would become the long months, while February would gain a couple of days.

Speaking of February, leap years would be dropped from the calendar completely. To make up for the remainder days (each Earth year is 365.2422 days long, and that remainder must be accounted for to keep the seasons from wandering out of sync with the months), Hanke and Henry propose adding a week to the end of December every five or six years to bring everything back into alignment.

In doing so, they wouldn’t disturb the carefully curated order that keeps days of the seven-day week aligned with the same dates each year. That’s key, they say, because most attempts to reform the calendar have failed because of objections to breaking up the seven-day week (it doesn’t matter what Sabbath you celebrate, you still have to keep it holy--therefore, you need that traditional seven-day week).

For all of its perceived benefits the Hanke-Henry calendar still doesn’t explain why the NCAA Football Championship always falls on a Monday night, but nobody’s perfect. There’s a lot more about the concept calendar here, including a proposed timetable for its adoption (the proposed date is Jan. 1, 2017) and an argument for switching to a universal clock that dispenses with time zones, daylight savings, and the like.
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
http://www.popsci.com/scien...h-year-identical-one

Each year stays the same, so Jan.3 is a Tuesday for the end of time. No leap years, instead a leap week every 5 years.

I think at the end of the day, we need to devote our scientists to solving real problems.
like making copy and pasting links easier
Old 01-03-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Linky for those not wanting to search:
A Rethought Calendar Makes Each Year Identical to the One Before | Popular Science
Old 01-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
No more leap years would be nice... People on monthly salary pay no longer have to work for free on Feb 25th...
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
i hope they make the calendar so my birthday is on the weekend forever..
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
Not sure will this pass... kind of doubt it.
But only because I think most of the population will not want change, including myself.

Although I did read through the article including this one.
Calendar Reform
I didn't fully understand everything, but the potential issues seem well covered.

I don't really mind about my birthday being in the middle of the week.
It's not like all my life, I have only been celebrating my birthday whenever it landed on a weekend.
It's really not that big of a deal. Most of us already just celebrate it on the closest weekend.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
No more leap years would be nice... People on monthly salary pay no longer have to work for free on Feb 25th...
They gave me a hard time, so I'm reciprocating.

Would you mean the 29th?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
they can implement it but it wont ever be worldwide.. Good luck.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
They gave me a hard time, so I'm reciprocating.

Would you mean the 29th?
Yep, that'd be it.

My brain took the day off today.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Yep, that'd be it.

My brain took the day off today.
So did mine, apparently.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
RTS
My homepage has been set to RS

As long as my bday is a friday or saturday, I'd be cool with it
RTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #12
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
It mentions the man hours and money saved by uniform year would be tremendous. I strongly disagree. The modification to the day that DST occurs was bad enough. I can't imagine the excruciating headache that modifying the calendar would cause. Save money, my ass.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
On the upside, my birthday would be on a friday for the rest of my life..
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

my suggestion is to make same days in each month, maybe 30 (365 divide by 12)??

comes to think of it ... anyone know why each month has the days it has?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
I think overall, it actually is a better system... but it's too hard to change something like this that's universally accepted by almost the entire population of Earth.

Similar to how there's little argument the metric system is vastly superior to the imperial system, but yet it's been almost impossible to get countries still stuck on imperial to switch over.

The biggest quirk with the new proposed system is this:

Quote:
Hanke and Henry propose adding a week to the end of December every five or six years to bring everything back into alignment.
So every 5-6 years, there will be a random extra week after December 31st.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
my suggestion is to make same days in each month, maybe 30 (365 divide by 12)??

comes to think of it ... anyone know why each month has the days it has?
Yeah, I was reading about the Julian vs. Gregorian calendar systems on wikipedia after I read this article.

The Romans fucked it up.

The whole problem comes from the fact that a solar year isn`t a straight 365 days. The romans named the months after themselves(well, the emperors).

From Wikipedia:

The more modern Gregorian calendar eventually superseded the Julian calendar: the reason is that a tropical year (or solar year) is actually about 11 minutes shorter than 365.25 days. These extra 11 minutes per year in the Julian calendar caused it to gain about three days every four centuries, when compared to the observed equinox times and the seasons. In the Gregorian calendar system, first proposed in the 16th century, this problem was dealt with by dropping some calendar days, in order to realign the calendar and the equinox times. Consequently, the Gregorian calendar drops three leap year days across every four centuries.

Done by:

Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100; the centurial years that are exactly divisible by 400 are still leap years. For example, the year 1900 is not a leap year; the year 2000 is a leap year
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #17
Banned By Establishment

Forgot to mention, the calendars all started adding in days to bring it out to 365 days, while still maintaining the 7 day week important for religion.

February, for some reason has been 28 days since before the adoption of the Julian calendar, so since before the supposed birth of christ.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

i would hate to have my bday fall on a monday each year etc
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote