REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,284 Times in 186 Posts
planning a month-long trip in asia in may

so the two of us are planning on going to asia in may for 4 weeks most likely.

The two main cities will be Hong Kong and Kaohsiung (taiwan)..now most of the trip will be just relaxing, eating and sight seeing but we were thinking of slotting in another country in that would be cheap seeing as we're both going to be in asia might as well see another country.

I'm just wondering what other exotic countries/cities are affordable alternatives to just chilling in two big cities, or do you think we can we just entertain ourselves for 4 weeks in the two main cities (and maybe 2-3 neighboring cities)?

I've never been to asia before but when i went to europe i could busy myself and "finish" the city in 2-4 days, hitting all the main areas
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,761 Times in 903 Posts
Once you're in HK and you just randomly look at travel agencies you will see lots of options that are fairly cheap. Thailand, China etc. It's almost like for us we can just randomly go to LA or Vegas for the weekend for a decent price because it's close. I was in HK back in April and my gf and I randomly saw lots of deals for a few hundred CDN.

Options are plenty but I think it depends on what you want. HK is going to be a busy busy place and it's going to be go go go. If you want to simply relax then Thailand might be a good option. Otherwise Beijing is pretty sweet, Shanghai, Japan, options are endless.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Shanghai, Korea, Japan, Singapore, Thailand, etc are all the "popular" ones.

But if you're looking for somewhere to relax, and not have to rush from tourist attractions to the next tourist attractions, I would recommend Sanya.

- It's equivalent to Asia's version of Hawaii
- Weather's nice, temperature's nice.
- Awesome resort-size hotels, own villa's etc
- Relatively cheap airfare, and short distance from HK
- etc etc etc
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

i'd recommend japan if hk is ur hub (the place ur staying at primarily). on travelocity, i saw roundtrip tickets to tokyo via delta airlines for $300ish after fees+tax. the money u save on the ticket more than makes up for the higher cost of food/accommodation a place like japan tends to have.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

I've gone to HK about 4 times in the past year because my gf was working there for a couple of years. I could never relax in HK, it's too busy, polluted and way too many rude people.

Do what a few others have said, check out the travel agencies in HK. You can score some pretty good deals for a few hundred CAD including flight/hotel. I went to Koh Samui Thailand for a couple hundred. Sitting on the beach with a few drinks is way better than rushing through the crowds in Central, Mongkok, or Causeway bay lol.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 2,284 Times in 186 Posts
thanks for the response guys.

sorry if i was a little unclear...im totally down to get out of my "relaxation" zone for the sake of experiencing the city. I mean relaxation in the sense that you can eat drink, watch and see cool things without having to think about your wallet all the time. Just having fun in the city ya know? Or maybe i'm totally just envisioning asian cities all wrong (never been to asia)

i think i'll save japan for a trip of its own...i was told that buying sub-ticket from your destination to another place on top of it, round trip, is a lot cheaper than buying a round trip ticket to your destination, then finding tickets from that place to somewhere else? (sorry if that sounded confusing)

thanks again for the responses..thailand seems like an awesome place to go to