REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #76
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
^

my mom got a 1080p samsung LCD 52" she paid 1200

mine is a 720p samsung plasma that I paid 3500 when it first came out,

the quality on mine is FAR better, night and day difference, eventhough mine is 5 years older.

Quality differences can definitly be seen when viewing HD content, when you pay attention to hair folicles and shading on the picture,

when viewing 720p or 1080p on her tv, its all blurry and not nearly as crisp
Advertisement
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #77
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
^

the quality on mine is FAR better, night and day difference, eventhough mine is 5 years older.

Quality differences can definitly be seen when viewing HD content, when you pay attention to hair folicles and shading on the picture,

Exactly.
Some may not "care" there are small or big differences.
Just because you can't tell or care for the small difference, doesnt mean we need our eyes checked. LOL

Shading, ghosting, etc..., and in my opinion. Bezel size and the blacks are the biggest importance to me.
SlySi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #78
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
^

Same with my parents TV. 50" Panasonic 720p Plasma that they paid $4000+ for.
When I play Xbox on it, it is so much more clear than on the newer 50" Sharp Aquos 1080p Plasma we have downstairs.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #79
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySi View Post
Exactly.
Some may not "care" there are small or big differences.
Just because you can't tell or care for the small difference, doesnt mean we need our eyes checked. LOL
LOL When I hear people talk about screen quality I ask them to read small text from across the room. When they fail reading it, I read it to them and tell them to shut it. If your vision isn't fantastic, then the small differences will be indiscernible at normal TV viewing distance. Physicists have proven this scientifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlySi View Post
Shading, ghosting, etc..., and in my opinion. Bezel size and the blacks are the biggest importance to me.
Your argument is bezel size? really?
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #80
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Personally I don't shop at Best Buy most of the time because NCIX has better prices and I never need help. I hate being talked to by any salespeople at any store. I don't need to be sold to. I already know what I want before I walk into the store so I only shop where prices are lowest. Customer service experience beyond "I'll go get that right away." is either lost on me or a complete negative. Whether the staff are knowledgable or not is irrelevant.

I used to work at London Drugs and I once asked my manager why on earth anyone would ever buy anything from us over NCIX or online since prices, selection and availability are clearly superior elsewhere. His answer was customer service. So basically for people like me and I'm guessing most of you, there's zero reason to shop at most large retail stores for electronics.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #81
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
PS: go to a big box store that does not price match online stores. Ask to see an expensive item and then tell them you just wanted to see it in real life and can get it cheaper online. See what kind of bullshit comes out to try to get the sale.

In reality, there's no reason to buy from BB unless they have a sale no one else can beat.

Especially funny at places where the staff get commission. Do it at London Drugs and ask them to price match Amazon or NewEgg.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #82
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
another best buy story from today! (Queensborough this time)

I go to the computer dept... ask the guy if he's IN the department, which he answers "YES I AM HOW CAN I HELP YOU SIR!"

I say I'm looking for a UPS for my computer
Dude gives me a completely puzzled look and says
Sorry man you in the wrong store!
I said no... by UPS I mean Uninterrupted Power Supply

employee: Still got no idea what you're talking about

InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #83
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Oh well. Modern equipment is so good at prices points that this level of service isn't really needed anymore, and most people aren't willing to pay the premium for it.

Like I said about TVs, sure you'll notice the small difference in the store with 20 TVs side-by-side, yet once you're home you'll enjoy the TV you picked as much as any of the other 20 TVs. The difference in quality isn't as huge as it was 20 years ago.

Now some will argue "I can totally tell the difference" and I will tell them to go get their eyes and ears checked cause I bet their vision and hearing isn't even good enough to tell the difference. Even if they can tell the difference, its usually at a couple feet in store, not 8-10 ft in a typical home setting.
I find that true if you are comparing a 40" LG to a 40" whatever brand, but I totally notice a difference in price points. You sit a sony or a whatever makes that Equos thing next to an LG and its lightyears different.

All depends on what you want to pay.

And that's the thing...I don't need a salesman to tell me that for $700 I can have a far superior product.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #84
I HERP TO YOU DERP

i stopped listening to these young guns when they told me that a sony led was better than the pioneer kuro i was about to purchase
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #85
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohboi View Post
Support your Independant Retailers that are Canadian Companies. Independants will provide you with better knowledge, experience and customer service (most cases).

It also supports Canadian Economy. Buying from Futureshop and BestBuy will only feed BestBuy USA and the US Economy.

Btw, there's a BestBuy opening up at Marine Drive and Ontario St. They may not be opening any more Futureshop's but seems like opening up more BestBuy's.
Is that what's going in the old Dueck location?

Gotta love Vancouver irony. Fight tooth and nail to prevent Wal-Mart there, but bend right over and let Best Buy drive one in.

Well done! That shortage of fucking strip malls has been cured..oh wait, there's always a need for one more?
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #86
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
funny how today i went to bb just for kicks & ask about buying a computer since i need a cheap new tower & long story short dude looks at me asking me whats a tower, im like

then i tell them im looking for a desktop & guys goes "ohhhhhhhh ya we used the more professional terms like desktop", then just ok thanks then walked away

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #87
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
RIP A&B Sound
I miss A&B
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #88
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
Oh well. Modern equipment is so good at prices points that this level of service isn't really needed anymore, and most people aren't willing to pay the premium for it.

Like I said about TVs, sure you'll notice the small difference in the store with 20 TVs side-by-side, yet once you're home you'll enjoy the TV you picked as much as any of the other 20 TVs. The difference in quality isn't as huge as it was 20 years ago.
My Panasonic plasma I bought 5 years ago is light years ahead than the Sharp 42" 1080P LCD that my dad bought last week. We both feed it HD cable and the picture quality difference is clearly noticeable. Even my dad who has terrible eyesight said that the picture on the Sharp isn't as crisp.

Quote:
i stopped listening to these young guns when they told me that a sony led was better than the pioneer kuro i was about to purchase
The one thing I regret is not buying a Pioneer Kuro when retailers were blowing them out a couple of years ago. They were the best panels that were ever made and there won't be anything on the market like them for a long time.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #89
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
My Panasonic plasma I bought 5 years ago is light years ahead than the Sharp 42" 1080P LCD that my dad bought last week. We both feed it HD cable and the picture quality difference is clearly noticeable. Even my dad who has terrible eyesight said that the picture on the Sharp isn't as crisp.
Plasma vs LCD

You don't need 20 TVs to tell the difference, just 2, a plasma and a LCD. I prefer plasma too.

Like Gridlock said, there is a different in price point, especially for LCD/LED TVs - yet you don't need to see 20 of them side-by-side to know that.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #90
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

plasma = win