REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #51
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
in my opinion, the wage you guys get isn't worth all the shit and stress you have to deal with in a restaurant. one of my buddies was coach at earls and ended up losing some hair for a while haha
no it isnt worth it really lol the stress from school + the work required to be done isnt worth it, but need money too but could probably do better...
Advertisement
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #52
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseX View Post
I'm not gonna lie, but I kinda feel sorry for some of your guy's kitchen experiences.

I work at the Keg. Started there 3 years ago at $12/hr. got a raise to $13 after 3 months. Another 6 months down the road, raise to $14. Didn't really focus my time there for the next year and a half because of school and finding another kitchen to work in (for the experience). After that, I ended up having to go to a different Keg because of some disagreements with my KM, and got a raise to $15/hr at the new Keg. It doesn't even matter how busy we get, it's still enjoyable to work in. Maybe because I want to be in this industry, but it largely has to do with the team I work with.

Those who think that you need to be a KM figure to start making the $17/hr, i'm sorry but its not necessarily true. The key point that those who are interested, need to understand, that its LARGELY dependant on the restaurant that you work for. I know guys on that line that make around $18 and up, yet they aren't KM. They help keep things positive and running on the line, but it's also because of their performance for the stations.

From what I can recall, servers do get taxed on their tips. I could be wrong, but thats what I recall.

With tip pool, again, it is dependant on the restaurant and the breakdown. I average around $5/hr in tips. On a slower night, maybe $3.50-$4/hr.

I do agree with view towards servers about how tipping isn't a requirement, but dependant on their performance. Keep in mind, servers dont ALWAYS walk away with money earned. I've seen nights where they go home losing money, because their tables didn't tip enough for them to pay the tip pool.

Back to OP's original question, I do agree that your wage is significantly low for a KM, and you should definitely talk about getting a raise. But keep in mind what restaurant it is, and how far you can really push that raise.
iuno i talked to some closer co workers about their wages.. people who are newly hired are making more then me and they're experience is nonetheless similar or less then mine.. and ive worked there for nearly a year and a half...
Old 01-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #53
My homepage has been set to RS

Restaurant industry/cook career... I tell you this now your in it for Passion not for Money.

One of the hardest/under rated industries to work in..

Anyways I think average franchise pay is about 9-10 starting not including tip ($1-2 average)
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #54
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
iuno i talked to some closer co workers about their wages.. people who are newly hired are making more then me and they're experience is nonetheless similar or less then mine.. and ive worked there for nearly a year and a half...
then let me ask you this. when was the last time you had a performance review?
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:46 AM   #55
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,763 Times in 592 Posts
Joey's:
Tips usually being $1-$2 /hr depending

apps - $10-$12 + tips
prep cook/pans/salads - $13-$15 +tips
grills - $18 + tips
sous chiefs $24 + tips

talented waitress who flash their tits - PRICELESS!!!
shawn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #56
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
then let me ask you this. when was the last time you had a performance review?
now that i think of it, my last performance review was 3 weeks after i got hired which was a 25 cent increase
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #57
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,491 Times in 637 Posts
Quote:
now that i think of it, my last performance review was 3 weeks after i got hired which was a 25 cent increase
is your store unioned?
Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #58
I came, I saw, I conquered.

^Obviously not.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #59

Quote:
im assuming this was over a year ago then right?
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #60
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
im assuming this was over a year ago then right?
yeah lol
Old 01-08-2012, 04:25 PM   #61

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
funny part is i know who you are and which one you worked at

for what you did thats more than you deserved
Lol thats cause its white spot and no one gives a fuck, btw thanks for that i ended up getting to watch the rest of the canucks playoff run and it gave me a 2 week advantage starting somewhere else. And btw, i was gonna give in my 2 weeks there in a week anyway.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #62
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 28,704 Times in 6,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn79 View Post
Joey's:
Tips usually being $1-$2 /hr depending

apps - $10-$12 + tips
prep cook/pans/salads - $13-$15 +tips
grills - $18 + tips
sous chiefs $24 + tips

talented waitress who flash their tits - PRICELESS!!!
Sous chefs make 24? I find that hard to believe. The rest sounds pretty accurate though.I work very closely with a former corporate chef of joeys, and he has been quite open with me about the wages there. As a chef I make 19+tips+unlimited food and booze(providing I'm not retarded and don't take advantage of it) for an small restaurant. There is a lot more money to be made in hotels, and some chains, but to have menu control, and a family feel is well worth the bit less money at this point in my life.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:30 AM   #63
2010 RS Top Food Critic Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post

You want to know how we can change the restaurant business for the better? By having separate food and customer service tips. The customer can tip exactly what they feel should go to the cooks, and exactly what the server should get. BOH should not suffer when they break their backs on orders, all because FOH couldn't get their act together.

/RANT
Never going to fly...how I wish this could be implemented industry wide though.
K-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #64
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dub View Post
Never going to fly...how I wish this could be implemented industry wide though.
Will always be a dream, someday I'll make a pretty penny.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #65

Quote:
use to work 40/5 a week, school started now so about 24/3 along with picking up shifts during the weekday if im available as a support body.
Sorry but in what way are you a Kitchen Manager working 3 days a week? If I was your employer I wouldn't consider you for a raise unless you showed more commitment to the job.

Even still 11$ is quite low even for a line position and your experience.

Your current employer is probably taking advantage of you to the point they have given you some sort of title but you are not working full time and realize they probably don't need to give you a raise.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #66
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
Sorry but in what way are you a Kitchen Manager working 3 days a week? If I was your employer I wouldn't consider you for a raise unless you showed more commitment to the job.

Even still 11$ is quite low even for a line position and your experience.

Your current employer is probably taking advantage of you to the point they have given you some sort of title but you are not working full time and realize they probably don't need to give you a raise.
I was KM before I went back to school, during my full-time period. They just didn't take that role away from me after I went to school xd. Sure I show commitment though get angry like > if someone turns off any timer without checking the oven lol. Treat it like my own food is getting wasted lololol
Old 01-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #67
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 28,704 Times in 6,379 Posts
I think the term kitchen manager is being grossly misused in this thread. You work 3 days a week, you aren't a KM. KM=chef. It sounds like you are shift supervisor, but still you are underpaid if you are even doing that.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #68
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I think the term kitchen manager is being grossly misused in this thread. You work 3 days a week, you aren't a KM. KM=chef. It sounds like you are shift supervisor, but still you are underpaid if you are even doing that.
If you read a few of the post, a few of do consider the usage of "km" and it varies per restaurant how they'd like to name their titles. I also was previously working full-time 40 hr +/weeks before I went back to school.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #69
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,938 Times in 1,392 Posts
Quote:
If you read a few of the post, a few of do consider the usage of "km" and it varies per restaurant how they'd like to name their titles.
Some companies like to hand out the "Manager" title like it's candy. Consequently the heads of those "Managers" swell as does their feeling of self importance.

I wish I had a chance to see what some of the asshole "Managers" of Canadian Tire whom I worked for are doing now... Those clowns of "Managers" really make you appreciate when you get a good Manager at a real job.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote