REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 01-09-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Nokia Lumia 900 LTE (windows phone)

(press conference)

(pictured with the lumia800 and N9)

Nokia Lumia 900 - Nokia - USA
its basically a mash up of the N8 and the N9 in design

Im not a fan of WP but i know a few who love it that have seen it played with it as for Apps the WP App market has surpassed 55,000 apps (its been recently skyrocketing)

tech specs

Nokia Lumia 900 Specifications and product page at Nokia USA #TechSpecs : My Nokia Blog

its not pentaband llike nokias symbian phones so that stinks

it hasn't been officially announced for Canada but the Lumia 800 & 710 has (they're going to telus & rogers)

the Lumia 800 looks like the Nokia N9 and its lacking LTE compared to the 900

side note the Nokia N8 (camera king even til today) is getting a successor later this year and its supposed to slaughter the N8s camera (i cant imagine but eagerly awaiting) has optical zoom etc
Advertisement

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Its going to be a great phone I wonder if its coming to Canada? But as of right now I am satisifed with my Lumia 800
g604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

yeah its a bit odd that he didnt announce it for Canada as well just the Lumia 800 and 710 are headed here

but atm only AT&T in the US are getting it

other countries overseas asia/europe are going to be getting the 900 this year but it will be sans LTE as according to Elop LTE isn't widespread in these areas and so having the LTE radio in there will just be pointless and expensive for end-users

side note Apple fansites/users/bloggers seem to be really enjoying Windows Phone and Nokias Lumias like CultofMac recently dubbed the 900 the best phone other than the Iphone and rated it an A level smartphone (only other given this ranking by them is the iphone ) http://www.cultofmac.com/139196/look...oods-ces-2012/

some other prominent youtube Apple vloggers have "converted" to WP7
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #4

Nice thanks for the link
Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM   #5
mc.
RS controls my life!

I wish Nokia made Android phones...
mc. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
While I have never used the Lumia 900 or a Windows phone, size for size, my N9 looks very similar to the Lumia 900.

I love the size to weight ratio.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

^^ yeah they're basically the same size the 900 is a bit longer and its top and bottom are tapered like the N8 is all

edit: nice avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc. View Post
I wish Nokia made Android phones...
get an N9
Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
if you pull a Nokia out these days, people think you are a social outcast.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
if you pull a Nokia out these days, people think you are a social outcast.
u're in china though i thought? nokias #1 there and still growing...

maybe they just don't like you?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
+1

Nokia's presence in North America is a joke.

Meanwhile in Europe and Asia...

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,448 Times in 1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
u're in china though i thought? nokias #1 there and still growing...

maybe they just don't like you?
I have a Nokia C7 with me (left over from my sister), nice finished phone, but fail OS doesn't have a good app that supports google calendar and task function that fits my purpose.

It's like you get used to facebook and asks you to use friendster again.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #12

Rumor has it Lumia 900 releasing on March 18 on AT&T with 99$ + contract Rumour: AT&T roadmap shows March 18th Nokia Lumia 900 launch for only $99 | WMPoweruser
Old 01-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
I have a Nokia C7 with me (left over from my sister), nice finished phone, but fail OS doesn't have a good app that supports google calendar and task function that fits my purpose.

It's like you get used to facebook and asks you to use friendster again.
ah ive read that about google calendar on Symbian

i dont really use it but it seems to work okay (google calendar) on my n8 but im not adept at its functionality the belle update will be making improvements to the calendar as i understand it

oh and full microsoft office support is coming with it too (was meant to come last year)

side note Nokias Q4 report is out their Lumias (800/710) only sold around 1.2million phones

the Nokia N9 sold more than double that (without the $200million+ advertising campaign) but Nokias still praising the lumia -_-

these EA games are coming to the Lumia line (be ported to the other nokia systems as well)

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
ah ive read that about google calendar on Symbian

i dont really use it but it seems to work okay (google calendar) on my n8 but im not adept at its functionality the belle update will be making improvements to the calendar as i understand it

oh and full microsoft office support is coming with it too (was meant to come last year)

side note Nokias Q4 report is out their Lumias (800/710) only sold around 1.2million phones

the Nokia N9 sold more than double that (without the $200million+ advertising campaign) but Nokias still praising the lumia -_-

these EA games are coming to the Lumia line (be ported to the other nokia systems as well)

EA and Nokia bringing games to Windows Phones! - YouTube
1.2 Million is less than 2 months is pretty good congrats to the N9 sales but wasn't N9 released in more markets right away I know my fam in the phillipines got an N9 in like September and the Lumia hasn't even hit that market yet.

Nokia Lumia line is the future of the business Elop is a great CEO hes going big or going home broke he has good vision. I bet we will see the true potential of the MS/Nokia partnership when Windows Phone Apollo comes out in Q4 and it looks like MS is developing software to meet Nokia's need.

This is the partnership that benefits both companies MS always lacked quality industrial design and Nokia now has a software to unify mobile phones to mobile computing and even entertainment so IMO both sides will win in the long run.

I bet even current n9 users will get more MS support in the future like Office maybe Xbox who knows
Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM   #15

yes the N9 hit more markets but they were "small" markets unlike the Lumias "large" ones; it also didn't get a major advertising campaign nor did it have its death announced before it was released the N9 started appearing in Oct (they were expected to hit Sept ended up Oct i think phillipines may have snuck in and get out the very end of sept), Lumia in Oct/Nov
but the N9 was also not officially released in Lumia markets -_-

as for the 1.2 million units that did exceed the minimum Nokia was hoping for (1million) which is good

Microsoft Office on Symbian/Meego was a deal made with the previous CEO well before Elopsoft showed up the point is that WP didn't have to be Nokias sole focus in fact its apparent they could have pushed Maemo (a major fuck up on Nokias part since the N900 days not Elops fault) and since they're 2 distinct OS's they wouldn't be conflicting as WP7 is iOS like and Android is a cheap/inefficient clone of Maemo
Symbian is still selling a gajillion phones even though Nokias killed it so... they could have relegated it to the "cheap phone" line and S40 for their garbage line /shrug (instead they bought "Smarterphone" OS to use for their garbage line)

side note Apple CEO Tim Cook says WP7 is the 3rd horse in the race, which is a surprising acknowledgement i guess

Tim Cook: Phone market isn't a two-horse race, 'there's a horse in Redmond that always runs' | The Verge

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-27-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #16

just want to clarify

Nokia didn't sell over 1 million Lumias in the 4th Quarter

they sold over 1 million to date "Jan 26th" included

So those numbers are pretty disappointing as Nokia,themselves, said for Lumia to succeed they would need 1 million sales in the 4th quarter (which probably didn't happen hence them pointing out "to date")

sounds grim and really gets you pissed off with Elop and his trolling

Hopefully Nokia can still pull through though and not end up as an Official division of Microsoft as so many believe
Old 01-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #17

I don't think thats dissapointing at all your looking at November 15th to January 26th thats 2 months isn't a quarter usually 3 months?

In regards to Symbian they don't really need it since Windows Phone Tango is coming out which is supposed to be for low-end very cheap phones but will still provide the same OS experience you would get on a Lumia 900

IMO Elop has great vision he sees Nokia being the next Apple and the key Microsoft OEM with Microsoft they can design everything to work under a unified ecosystem ranging from blackberry styled phones, Lumias, tablets, ultrabooks and mobile computing etc everything with great Nokia industrial design. Microsoft is great at making operating systems but the main problem they have is that they dont have a got to OEM that makes amazing hardware now they have Nokia and this partnership is great on both sides.

Also the thing about Meego is it will sell great to technies and loyal Nokia fans but to the rest of the crowd it looks like Android and iOS (no disrespect) with Windows phone it makes it eye catching its different from the competition it makes people want to try it and since its backed by Xbox and Windows it should be very easy to market especially when everything is going to use the Metro UI format.

Dont get me wrong I think N9 is a amazing platform and when Windows phone 8 comes out thats when you will really see a Microsoft/Nokia partnership where you might see things that are on a Nokia phone in Windows OS and from what I understand Microsoft is working towards Nokias demands plus Microsoft is giving them 250million for marketing etc so this partnership is looking pretty deadly right now and Elop is doing a great job.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #18

Also take a look at this Stephen Elop still complaining about retail staff | WMPoweruser

Nokia and Windows Phone is having a hard time winning carrier retail support which is critical to sales. I assume sales people dont do their research about technology and mostly recommend based on personal experience or instructions from upper level so Nokia + MS plans to fix this by adding incentives and better training.

Alot of sales people still call it Windows Mobile which its not and alot of them think its like running Windows 95 on a phone so its just carrier prespective needs to change and the brand should sell just fine.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #19

those numbers are disappointing as even Nokia said they would need to break 1 million for WP7 adoption to be deemed a success within the 4th quarter; not for the full quarter but from the time that Lumia was released to market to the end of the quarter it didn't break that minimum unless you include Jan that's why Nokia was a little obscure with the announcement

nokia isnt going to be using WP for their low end they've got other plans for that

Don't get me wrong I don't mind that Nokia picked up WP7 what I mind is how they implemented it; the point is Elops prematurely cut the legs off of Nokia when they KNOW WP is going to need time to take off (if it takes off at all) and he killed successful technologies for the sake of betting on his former employers OS

think about it the whole tech world was gushing over the N9 and Elop was like "even if the n9 does better than the iphone i don't care we're still ditching it"

that's the problem old Nokia had when it came to Symbian vs Maemo the two divisions were battling each other and the BoD didn't want Maemo to undermine Symbian so they didn't invest into it (wtf??) instead of allowing them both to flourish and take up shares of the market, which allowed systems like iOS/Android to take a large chunk of the market; it's like they assumed the market was always going to be limited and nothing could co-exist with Symbian

what Elop is doing is more of the same except he's given up Nokia IP to MSFT & Nokia still has to pay licensing fees to use WP... and longtime supporters/fans/stock holders of Nokia see this and are up in arms over the ridiculousness of it all (which is where im at)

even if WP7 does well (which i hope it does) it doesn't change anything with regards to the mistakes being made and history repeating itself

as for salesmen pushing Nokia phones this is true its been a problem for awhile that's why Nokias starting to reward salesmen check this

they need to implement something like Intel has with their Retail Edge program that'll get these retailers to change tune or at least offer alternatives to customers

Elops a Canadian and a Canucks fan though so I guess I should give him some props

Last edited by StylinRed; 01-27-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
IMHO, the problem with Lumia is not just Nokia... but MS as well.

Look at Mango, it's simply a me-too OS. It does everything that android/iOS do with perhaps a bit better optimization (posting stuff on FB, to twit... etc)

But there is nothing more than that to wow the users to switch. Android attracts people for Google integration and openness its OS while Apple offers a great hard/software integration+design.

Until Nokia/MS finds their own little niche, it would be very hard for them to make any significant momentum, not to mentioned that their public image is seriously uncool.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
damn i wish my phone had the n8's camera. after seeing stylinred's pics on the photography forum im pretty jelly. i want the blackberry's vibrate too lolol
Old 01-28-2012, 03:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniatic View Post
damn i wish my phone had the n8's camera. after seeing stylinred's pics on the photography forum im pretty jelly. i want the blackberry's vibrate too lolol

well there's going to be an N8 successor this year (optical zoom aka "true zoom" etc etc)

not certain on the specs but its going to be Symbian still other than though it sounds like the casing isn't going to be anything premium

the Lumias wont be getting a monster camera anytime soon due to limitations of the OS and problems of implementing the algorithms (not until at least next year) but it sounds that WP/Noksoft aren't interested in getting one on that platform anyway
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
IMHO, the problem with Lumia is not just Nokia... but MS as well.

Look at Mango, it's simply a me-too OS. It does everything that android/iOS do with perhaps a bit better optimization (posting stuff on FB, to twit... etc)

But there is nothing more than that to wow the users to switch. Android attracts people for Google integration and openness its OS while Apple offers a great hard/software integration+design.

Until Nokia/MS finds their own little niche, it would be very hard for them to make any significant momentum, not to mentioned that their public image is seriously uncool.
You're kidding, right?

A "me too" OS? WP7 is far from that.

Obviously every phones going to have social media integration. In fact, iOS silos their apps, and only until recently did iOS bring out notifications. Android had this feature built in for a long time...that, plus Android also has social media sharing built in from a few versions back.

WP7 on the other hand is a complete rethink of the mobile OS. Simply look at the home screen and compare that with an iOS/Android device.
-MFC Fan # 3
-RS ELITE NINJA smurf-ninja
-L.B.C.: REVscene's Resident Lowballers
-RS Photography Crew WpnOfChoice: Sony DSC-F717~"Dana"

http://www.flickr.com/duckducksnap
Levitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #24
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Wouldn't it be smarter to just release 1 colour for the phone since most people put a case around it anyways? I know customers love options, but at the end of the day, I don't think it'll matter much. Also, the increased production cost for creating the various colours.
SkippyLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #25

case over ur phone?
This post thanked by: