REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
2005~2007 Volvo S40/V50 T5 - Yay or nay?

I've been thinking a lot about these cars lately, ever since my company rented one for me (V50 T5) for a conference out of town. Is this generation still a Ford/Mazda platform underneath? Are parts & labour expensive? It really grew on me during the three days I had it. Thanks in advance. I was also thinking about an Audi A3, but I've heard parts & labour is expensive.
Advertisement
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The Volvo dealers in BC treat the 2nd hand models like gold. In a lot of instances, their asking prices is higher than a typical A3. The S40 T5 has a lot more power than a GTI/A3, and the optional Haldex AWD system is nice on the T5 models. The rear is very cramped in these things. The key is so god damn ugly and bulky. The Premium Dolby Pro-Logic sound system is AMAZING. It will destroy the HK/Logic7/Bose/B&W systems that are found in this class range (3 series, G37, A4)

Unfortunately, I can't comment on their reliability/maintenance costs.

The A3 are a hit/miss with the early 2.0T FSI engines. The 2.0T "TFSI" engines found on the 2008.5+ MY is much much more stout. If you get the FWD model, it is basically a rewrapped GTI. Many local VW shops are more than competent enough to service it. I am guessing you want an auto.. the DSG on the A3 will require servicing every 40,000miles. (Can be done at 1/2 the cost at a VW indy shop)

I love the newer R-design model, but holy s*it they're pricey

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Expensive is rather relative? compare to which marque? I think Volvo's parts and labour pricing are inline with other European marques.

The problem w/ Volvo is the sales volume hasn't been that high since the 90s.. you don't get as many service places like VAG does, or discovery of potential shortcuts to
changing parts quickly (hence lowering the / hour labour).. Volvo gearboxes of that era are known to be prone to leaks.

One thing I don't like about the I5 is large turning radius.

Yes V50 is based on the Ford's C1 platform. Their diagnostic system VIDA is also based on the Ford Rotunda system... but you need extra plugins to enable it.

The question you have to ask yourself is what do you like about the V50?... can the quality be found elsewhere? eg you mentioned the A3 (a new model is coming out soon for that)..

Oh definitely get Volvos from the States.

Last edited by godwin; 01-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
I think you would have a hard time picking a brand more expensive to service and maintain than Volvo on a comparative basis, but the good news is modern examples of all the european cars are much better than their predecessors and are all relatively reliable as a group.

Mark
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Parts&labour are pretty much the same as other European brands like godwin and lowside67 mentioned.

Overall they're known to be pretty reliable cars...just keep with up regular maintenance and they usually don't break down much. Two problems I've heard of are the temperature gauge being inaccurate due to bad location/engineering and... the engine mount being really soft and wearing out sooner than it should.

About parts... OEM filters would cost you about $6 online/states compared to $24 from dealer... or $18 from most autoshops I've checked with. Don't know if this gives you an idea of how much parts would cost but you can easily source parts elsewhere.

Forgot to mention brakes... I remember the dealer quoting about $250 labour for each end of the car.. so $500 labour for pads+rotor replacement for all 4 corners.
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
The Volvo dealers in BC treat the 2nd hand models like gold. In a lot of instances, their asking prices is higher than a typical A3. The S40 T5 has a lot more power than a GTI/A3, and the optional Haldex AWD system is nice on the T5 models. The rear is very cramped in these things. The key is so god damn ugly and bulky. The Premium Dolby Pro-Logic sound system is AMAZING. It will destroy the HK/Logic7/Bose/B&W systems that are found in this class range (3 series, G37, A4)

Unfortunately, I can't comment on their reliability/maintenance costs.

The A3 are a hit/miss with the early 2.0T FSI engines. The 2.0T "TFSI" engines found on the 2008.5+ MY is much much more stout. If you get the FWD model, it is basically a rewrapped GTI. Many local VW shops are more than competent enough to service it. I am guessing you want an auto.. the DSG on the A3 will require servicing every 40,000miles. (Can be done at 1/2 the cost at a VW indy shop)
Thanks!
Yes, the sound system in the V50 I rented was amazing. What do you mean by the early A3's are hit & miss? Are they not as reliable as they could be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
The question you have to ask yourself is what do you like about the V50?... can the quality be found elsewhere? eg you mentioned the A3 (a new model is coming out soon for that)..

Oh definitely get Volvos from the States.
I just loved the V50's highway ride and sound system. It's the perfect size - I don't care about the somewhat cramped rear seats...I'm never going to sit there!

Isn't it a pain in the ass to import cars from the US?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

^IIRC there are some dealerships that will take care of the importing process for you, but of course they will charge you a fee.

I've always loved Volvos myself, but too bad IMO they're overpriced.

For Sale:

BNIB Acupuncture Wallet PM me for details

Google / LG Nexus 4
crazyazn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
VLS Moderator

Looks like either not too many S40/V50 T5's were sold, or they're so good that owners are unwilling to part with them (maybe both?)! Not too many on the used market - non-turbos are a dime a dozen though.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
VLS Moderator

Thanks to all that replied in this thread! I ended up getting a 2007 V50 2.4i - couldn't find a T5 anywhere! The interior has no little storage space, but I can live with it. The seller turned out to be an ex-client of mine, so he didn't give me any BS, and the price was great due to the fact that he's being transferred to the head office in Amsterdam and needed to sell the car quick.

I just need to do something about the stereo now...better sound quality and an AUX input would be nice.

After owning this car for a little over a week now, I really noticed how boring it is to drive the Prius - I was so used to it. Unfortunately, fuel mileage is terrible compared to the Prius (duh) but, it's very enjoyable to drive. It reminded me of my old Acura Legend Coupe.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #10

Since the V's platform is shared with the Euro Focus and Mazda 3, it's very toss-able and fun to drive. Since you're complaining about the audio, it probably doesn't have the Dolby Pro-Logic system

You should check out Mike @ SoundGood.. one of RS's caraudio sponsors! I've had Mike personally put in a system in both my GTI and my Impreza, and I can vouch for his flawless work.

I don't know too much about the base V50 system, but I do know the 'premium' system requires a digital amp to power each speaker. With the unique audio faceplate/HVAC unit on the Volvo, your only options are to swap out the speakers and to add an amp (and somehow integrate it to the stock unit).

Here's a link to add an AUX-input to your car:
Swedespeed Forums - HOWTO: AUX-in for your V50, basic sound system.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
VLS Moderator

^^^^ Sadly, the car only has the basic sound system. The T5 I rented last year had the Dolby Pro-Logic system, and it was unbelievable.

Yep, already talked to Mike.

I saw that forum posting in my research last week - seems easy to do, just a pain in the ass to do it. I also found this: GROM-MST3 (Full Edition) for Volvo S40/S60 06-11 Optical Fiber
Old 01-26-2012, 07:56 PM   #12

^Wow, that's pricey! That's how much I paid for an open box Pioneer F930BT Double-Din SATNAV headunit for my beater!

The Volvo uses 6.5" speakers, so you should have plenty of solid choices! On the other hand, I wonder how hard it is to source the entire Dolby Pro-Logic system from a wrecked V50.

This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
VLS Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by too_slow View Post
On the other hand, I wonder how hard it is to source the entire Dolby Pro-Logic system from a wrecked V50.
I didn't think of that! Great idea!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
I'd do some homework before you get too excited, it's totally possible that the car could have a completely different media wiring harness as I expect the Dolby would have additional speakers, amps, etc that could make retrofitting it nearly impossible.

Mark
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
VLS Moderator

^^^ True. the basic system has 6 speakers - the Pro-Logic has 11....and I think uses fibre optic cables.