REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Expat Vancouverites (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661055-expat-vancouverites.html)

Sky_2000 01-10-2012 08:43 AM

Expat Vancouverites

So who here is originally from Vancouver and has since moved away to some other part of the world? Why did you move? Do you miss Vancouver? Still visit much?

achiam 01-10-2012 01:11 PM

Moved to London for 6 years, came back 2-3x/yr.
Moving to NY or San Jose pending job.
Don't miss it at all. Coming back for skiing in winter and hiking/kayaking in summer is more than enough.

LSF22 01-10-2012 01:15 PM

*Waiting for dukes response

bcrdukes 01-10-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSF22 (Post 7756539)
*Waiting for dukes response

:alone:

SkinnyPupp 01-10-2012 05:13 PM

Moved to Hong Kong 6 years ago

Moved because of many reasons. Mostly I just like it here since visiting in 03. Also because I felt like something different, wanted to visit different countries in asia, thought it would help with my work (it didn't, but other opportunities came up), weather, crime, other little things

Haven't been back since 2008. Don't miss it too much except after the 3rd month of summer or so. I'd love to be able to go back every summer for 2 months!

jmvdesign 01-10-2012 07:04 PM

Just moved to Pasadena (LA/South Pasadena border) and got in the Transportation Design program at Art Center. Also met a previous Richmond native in the same program. Talk about small world.
Posted via RS Mobile

TheKingdom2000 01-10-2012 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 7756532)
Moved to London for 6 years, came back 2-3x/yr.
Moving to NY or San Jose pending job.
Don't miss it at all. Coming back for skiing in winter and hiking/kayaking in summer is more than enough.

You don't miss it at all?
Is your family still in Vancouver?

SkinnyPupp 01-10-2012 07:22 PM

He said he goes back 2-3 times a year, that's plenty enough not to miss the place, and presumably he sees family, and they probably visit him occasionally too.

Cartier Wearer. 01-10-2012 07:31 PM

The people who left Vancouver and say they don't miss it are not being truthful.
Vancouver recognized as the most desirable city to live in in the WORLD!!
When Summer hits its like paradise. The only shitty thing is 1) Lots of Rain 2) Increasing Crime Rate 3) No Jobs Opportunities 4) Cost of living as most people are not able to afford a house in Vancouver save for renters, house sharers, basement renters etc..

I will never leave Vancouver because its home. I can travel to anywhere I want to vacation but get homesick after 2 weeks or longer. If you actually live in the downtown core and can club, attend live events, enjoy stanley park then you'll never want to leave. If I had to move to Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey I would move because I am not a suburbs kinda guy.

scottsman 01-10-2012 08:22 PM

Moved to Maryland, USA for about 2 years, back to Vancouver for few months while waiting for my job in Vietnam and now been here for about 4. Since being in Vietnam I have been back for a total of about 4 weeks and honestly do not miss that much about Vancouver.

I travel enough in Asia that anything I miss about Vancouver I can get here.

My parents, grandparents, cousins, brothers, friends, etc... have visited me a lot in Vietnam so I usually see someone at least every 4-6 months.

Moved for a change, new things, and Job.

woob 01-10-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartier Wearer. (Post 7757053)
The people who left Vancouver and say they don't miss it are not being truthful.

YOU CAN READ THEIR MINDS?

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/...d3f62d18be.jpg

EndLeSS8 01-10-2012 09:08 PM

Moved back to Vancouver in 2009 for family reasons

Was living in Sunnyvale, California for 4 years

It was the right decision to move back to Vancouver, but I literally miss California every day.
Visited back Vancouver 3-4 times every year for holidays and work visa. To be honest, didn't miss it much when I was gone.

drunkrussian 01-10-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

When Summer hits its like paradise. The only shitty thing is 1) Lots of Rain 2) Increasing Crime Rate 3) No Jobs Opportunities 4) Cost of living as most people are not able to afford a house in Vancouver save for renters, house sharers, basement renters etc..

I will never leave Vancouver because its home. I can travel to anywhere I want to vacation but get homesick after 2 weeks or longer. If you actually live in the downtown core and can club, attend live events, enjoy stanley park then you'll never want to leave. If I had to move to Burnaby, Richmond, Surrey I would move because I am not a suburbs kinda guy.

i dont mean any offense at all, but i think if u tried living somewhere else for a bit your opinion will change, jusy like everyone in this thread. its cliche as fuck to say vancouver is boring and even more so to say its so very liveable and amazing. fact is its nothing special at all, and thats the honest reality.
Posted via RS Mobile

artmotion 01-10-2012 09:42 PM

I left to go to HK for about 2.5 years. First little while was kinda lonely to be completely honest but I started making a lot of friends out there and after that, I couldn't imagine leaving. After constant nagging from my mom and a job that wasn't rewarding enough, I came back to study and to be closer to my family and not one day goes by when I don't think about being back there. I'll probably try to visit once a year and possibly move back when I finish my degree.

@SkinnyPupp: The summers there are the worst!!! Wayyy too hot!!!

too_slow 01-10-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Please go fucking kill yourself

geeknerd 01-11-2012 03:04 AM

I say this all the time,
"Vancouver is a very good place to live........when you retire."

The things that make me love Vancouver and be special -at least for me- are the natural attractions such as parks, lakes, beaches, mountains etc but the thing is, I can't be there everyday and unless you incorporate a hobby into it such as riding, fishing, hiking,(in which can be done in other countries just as easy) its does get boring. Like how goign to a rocky mt. tour can get boring if you go twice. It does get boring especially the sub-urb where the entertainment places are really lacking.
Vancouver also has a shitty night life if at all imo.

love and miss the weed and the nice people though.

Razor Ramon HG 01-11-2012 03:06 AM

The night life is one of the biggest reasons I plan on moving to Asia when I'm done with school. It's just fucking pitiful.

geeknerd 01-11-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 7757513)
The night life is one of the biggest reasons I plan on moving to Asia when I'm done with school. It's just fucking pitiful.

This is also one of the reasons i moved to asia.
Imo, in vancouver, majority of the time you have to "miss" something and then "plan" to do that with other people who are 'down'. one "main event" in a day.

I also blame a lot of it on the crappy transportation system. it just restricts a lot of people on time and area.

StylinRed 01-11-2012 03:50 AM

lived all over before my twenties the only thing i miss about other places is a night life

i cant stand how after 5 everything is closed & after 9 its a graveyard except for 7-11s and the save-ons/safeways/bars

other than that i prefer vancouver over elsewhere

but there are always those who "want something else" thats just the nature of many people they just cant be satisfied until they're in their 50s and they want to settle

its like a slut who does every guy around and then when shes in her mid/late20s she thinks the world is over and she tries to hide the fact that shes a slut so she can find a guy to settle with ;)

or the guy with the perfect girl but he wants to get with her friend ;)

Great68 01-11-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

This is a pretty subjective topic. I sure as hell would never move back to Vancouver if I can help it. The only things I really miss are the local mountains and Mission Raceway.

dachinesedude 01-11-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

ONLY shitty thing? is that not enough?

seriously though, if its not for the good job i have right now, i'd be outta this shit hole asap, i envy the people whos living and working abroad

Hondaracer 01-11-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG (Post 7757513)

It's a good thing you're 22 forever :/
Posted via RS Mobile

Jermyzy 01-11-2012 01:18 PM

If I wasn't settled down already, I'd move to Sydney, Australia in a heartbeat

too_slow 01-11-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jermyzy (Post 7758342)
If I wasn't settled down already, I'd move to Sydney, Australia in a heartbeat

Any particular reason why you would pick Aus? You aren't afraid of man-eating kangeroos?

**I'm moving to Sydney for school+work in November :troll:

Ulic Qel-Droma 01-11-2012 01:34 PM

i'd move to asia in a heartbeat. just waiting now...

i'd come back every year for like 2-4 months in the summer, that's about it.