REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
300 Chinese Foxconn Workers 'Threaten Mass Suicide' At XBox Plant, Reports Claim

Link

That's one way to ask for a raise...
If there's truth to the story it scares me to even imagine the conditions they work in that would convince that many to consider a mass suicide in this day and age

Quote:
Around 300 Chinese workers who manufacture XBox consoles took to a factory roof and threatened bosses with mass suicide over a dispute about pay, unconfirmed reports have claimed.

The workers were employed at the Foxconn Technology Park in Wuhan in Hubei province. Foxconn is an independent, global manufacturing partner to companies including Apple, Microsoft and Sony.

Microsoft said on Wednesday that it is investigating the incident.

According to unverified reports emerging from anti-government Chinese news websites, about 300 workers took to the roof of the Taiwanese-owned factory on 2 January to protest against their employers.

Those reports have sinced been repeated by websites including Kotaku, but neither Foxconn or Microsoft has yet confirmed the incident took place.

According to the reports the employees had asked bosses for a raise but in response were told to either quit with compensation or keep their jobs at their usual salary.

Most workers apparently decided to leave, but the company did not hand over the money as promised.

According to the China Jasmine Revolution website, the workers were only dissuaded a day later when the mayor of Wuhan talked them out of committing suicide.

Foxconn factories in China have been the scene of several suicides by workers in the past, including 14 in 2010 alone at its Shenzhen plant, after complaints of low pay and poor conditions.
Advertisement
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Exploiting your own countries' people to get the top of the manufacturing market was never a good idea in the end. China....
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Workers realize their role in the global manufacturing marketplace, and demand raises and unions. Companies continually seek out cheaper places to manufacture. Eventually, they return back to North America with its IP protections and trained, and now eager workforce.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

The apple factory has a major issue with suicide rates as well. These young men with high education work for like 20$ a day when they have to spend 15$ of it to live. And that's after 12 hours of work. They then go to a cramped "workers campus" where they play wow. I'm on the fence about outsourcing. Sure it brings jobs and industry to china, but it will only do it if they get paid less to make stuff specifically for Americans. It's an abuse to the country that there only means of creating industry is to take advantage of their people and turn out goods for other countries. What about the people? What about creating jobs that support china within it's own boundaries? Someday this will all collapse, this trade organization that america and china has. Once china's people realize they are being abused because they have no other choice they will revolt like they did here. I should really watch Last Train Home now. This rant has fueled my need for knowledge on the subject.
Everymans is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Exploiting your own countries' people to get the top of the manufacturing market was never a good idea in the end. China....
foxconn is taiwanese owned, so its not really exploiting ur own people
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

would us as consumers pay more to help cut down abusive outsourcing companies, and bring jobs back over this way?
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

That there Xbox is made in China? Is that why my console keeps getting the red ring? Purdy awful. Haha like everything else in China workers were probably FAKING the suicide threat.
kuruuze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensta View Post
would us as consumers pay more to help cut down abusive outsourcing companies, and bring jobs back over this way?
would be cool if my electronics were still made in Japan.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
it's okay, they'll all be replaced by efficient, cheap to maintain robots in the future. no more whining. and cheaper products for us westerners. oh yeahhhh...
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:
thats the big problem. everyone has a sense of entitlement where they deserve iphones and xboxes and 60" TVs and everyone wants them as cheap as possible because they actually dont make enough money to buy them. companies outsource manufacturing to china where its cheaper so they can lower costs. now the same people wanting the products, who were the ones making them, are out of jobs, and blame the company. and occupy wall street.

would any of these people buy an iphone if it was made in america, by people in their town, but cost 30% more? i bet you none would.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
just be like apple and install nets on top of the roofs to prevent this

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
It's all about profit maximization, as a producer in the market you have a choice to raise costs to ensure ethical treatment of the employees but as long as there are other producers who can undercut you because they exploit workers instead, you can't compete.

Outsourcing doesn't necessarily have to be abusive and you have to consider that there are a bunch of self entitled workers in First world countries that force companies to outsource.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

They are bluffing.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,571 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2damaxmr2 View Post
They are bluffing.
this

and if they aren't...well, the world could use 300 less nutbags
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,830 Times in 233 Posts
picturing the apple daily video in my head
nsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0unce. [?] View Post
just be like apple and install nets on top of the roofs to prevent this
its the same company that you're referring to...
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Workers realize their role in the global manufacturing marketplace, and demand raises and unions. Companies continually seek out cheaper places to manufacture. Eventually, they return back to North America with its IP protections and trained, and now eager workforce.
no, Africa is the next China... sadly for the USA though, China has been prepping Africa to be its "china" for some years now
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
its not exploitation. its just economics. willingness to work and at what pay is their own decision based on available jobs or their own opportunity costs.
slavery is exploitation. human trafficking is exploitation. this is just low wages
(not saying exceedingly low wages are good, but that's how the economy works, this is the only way they'll climb up the global wealth ladder)

Quote:
that would be massively inefficient. it's all about comparative advantages. north americans are more efficient at service-industry jobs (finance, consulting, etc.) and countries like China are more efficient at labour-intensive jobs like manufacturing. switching them around would just increase costs for everybody and nobody would be better off.
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #19
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everymans View Post
The apple factory has a major issue with suicide rates as well. These young men with high education work for like 20$ a day when they have to spend 15$ of it to live. And that's after 12 hours of work. They then go to a cramped "workers campus" where they play wow. I'm on the fence about outsourcing. Sure it brings jobs and industry to china, but it will only do it if they get paid less to make stuff specifically for Americans. It's an abuse to the country that there only means of creating industry is to take advantage of their people and turn out goods for other countries. What about the people? What about creating jobs that support china within it's own boundaries? Someday this will all collapse, this trade organization that america and china has. Once china's people realize they are being abused because they have no other choice they will revolt like they did here. I should really watch Last Train Home now. This rant has fueled my need for knowledge on the subject.
and what was their "life" before all this happened? I bet they were in even worse condition without their current job living on less than $1/day
welcome to capitalism, once it becomes too expensive to manufacture, companies can move elsewhere. tons of developing countries would gladly take these jobs.

Cars:
02' Lexus IS300 5spd
07' BMW 323iA
05' BMW Z4 5spd
06' BMW 330i 6spd
10' Audi A4 quattro
08' BMW M3 6spd
15' Kawasaki Ninja300
08' Yamaha R6
10' Honda Ridgeline
17' Audi Q5
16' BMW X5D

bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,819 Times in 3,901 Posts
maybe i'm too young but i dont ever recall consumer electronics mass produced in north america...or europe for that matter.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #21
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
maybe i'm too young but i dont ever recall consumer electronics mass produced in north america...or europe for that matter.
In the 1980's, many home audio speakers were made in Canada for Panasonic, Pioneer, Sanyo and also for domestic brands. Apparently, this was due to the yen's rise in value in the mid-80's, making it more economical to manufacture speakers here.
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post
its not exploitation. its just economics. willingness to work and at what pay is their own decision based on available jobs or their own opportunity costs.
slavery is exploitation. human trafficking is exploitation. this is just low wages
(not saying exceedingly low wages are good, but that's how the economy works, this is the only way they'll climb up the global wealth ladder)

that would be massively inefficient. it's all about comparative advantages. north americans are more efficient at service-industry jobs (finance, consulting, etc.) and countries like China are more efficient at labour-intensive jobs like manufacturing. switching them around would just increase costs for everybody and nobody would be better off.
This
Posted via RS Mobile
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #23
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,794 Times in 1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
thats the big problem. everyone has a sense of entitlement where they deserve iphones and xboxes and 60" TVs and everyone wants them as cheap as possible because they actually dont make enough money to buy them. companies outsource manufacturing to china where its cheaper so they can lower costs. now the same people wanting the products, who were the ones making them, are out of jobs, and blame the company. and occupy wall street.

would any of these people buy an iphone if it was made in america, by people in their town, but cost 30% more? i bet you none would.
I don't have the option to buy a locally built Iphone, but have no problem spending more money on locally grown food as much as possible.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
They are bluffing...

The workers in China now have this weird mentality that they are a resource too valuable for the company to lose.

The fact is, for a company like Foxconn who's super cost sensitive, they would simply move to a cheaper place. Be it another place in China (they already done that) or another country all-together (Foxconn is moving to Brazil and is even negotiating for some tax reform for pro export, which I think it's likely to pass)

Even if Foxconn raise anything, they would simply close the factory with *demands* once the spotlight is not on the company. That's what they basically did last time.

Now, workers, a constant 1500RMB paycheck for a foreseeable future or 2000RMB paycheck for the next 3month? your move.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:36 PM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn View Post
In the 1980's, many home audio speakers were made in Canada for Panasonic, Pioneer, Sanyo and also for domestic brands. Apparently, this was due to the yen's rise in value in the mid-80's, making it more economical to manufacture speakers here.
Shocker never knew that
Posted via RS Mobile
booge_man is offline   Reply With Quote