REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,493 Times in 1,691 Posts
Fast & Furious: Porsche and Beemer drivers caught speeding in West Van.

Porsche pulled over after going 80 km/hr over speed limit - News1130

Another case of street racing in the lower mainland, this time on the Trans Canada Hwy near Westmount exit.

A slap on the wrist from the cops. The court system and the laws need to change to stop this dangerous racing from happening.

No license suspension or confiscating the cars for a definite period.
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #2
J89
RS controls my life!

"Two drivers nabbed at a speed trap have West Vancouver police shaking their heads. They were going so fast."

"One speeder, a 54-year-old BMW driver, was clocked at 159 km/hr in a 90 km/hr zone Wednesday night. The other, a 25-year-old behind the wheel of a Porsche, was going 168 km/hr. He was caught early Thursday morning"

J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Where'd you get street racing from? This was two separate incidents of speeding. And they DID get their cars confiscated. And they WILL get their license suspended if they had any previous points on their license or depending if they were given tickets for anything else and racked up the appropriate amount of points.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Porsche pulled over after going 80 km/hr over speed limit - News1130

Another case of street racing in the lower mainland, this time on the Trans Canada Hwy near Westmount exit.

A slap on the wrist from the cops. The court system and the laws need to change to stop this dangerous racing from happening.

No license suspension or confiscating the cars for a definite period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
"Two drivers nabbed at a speed trap have West Vancouver police shaking their heads. They were going so fast."

"One speeder, a 54-year-old BMW driver, was clocked at 159 km/hr in a 90 km/hr zone Wednesday night. The other, a 25-year-old behind the wheel of a Porsche, was going 168 km/hr. He was caught early Thursday morning"

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
"Speeders also face the Driver Risk Premium when re-insuring their vehicles."

WTF.. THIS should be applied RIGHT away...
Old 01-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Speeders everywhere these days. If I was a cop in an unmarked car, I could probably write 10 tickets or more on my way from downtown to UBC. Could probably do 20 or more if I go to my gf place in east van.

And there's cut offs, tail-gate to the point you cant even see the headlight. Yea.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,044 Posts
that's a very nice straight stretch of highway 1 near westmount/cypress exit. 160 km/h in a Porsche is weaksauce though. sucks for the guys.

few years ago a biker was clocked over 250 km/h around there, cops didn't chase him. they arrested him at his house afterwards though.
boostfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
"Speeders also face the Driver Risk Premium when re-insuring their vehicles."

WTF.. THIS should be applied RIGHT away...
It is applied right away. They collect next time they insure there cars. With a ticket you can not pay and still insure your car.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
such drama over speed these days..in my opinion its not they guys doing 160km in a straight line that kills people, its the douche bags weaving in and out of traffic. The media and police try make it out like excessive speeding is the worst thing ever, give me a break...IF the drivers only offense is driving fast then give them a hefty fine and let them be on their way, if they are also doing other dangerous things then give them a suspension.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
nlo
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

this^
nlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
Speeders everywhere these days. If I was a cop in an unmarked car, I could probably write 10 tickets or more on my way from downtown to UBC. Could probably do 20 or more if I go to my gf place in east van.

And there's cut offs, tail-gate to the point you cant even see the headlight. Yea.
And yet people still labour under the idea that police have "quotas" to fill - if that was the case, there are plenty of places they could hit quotas for the month within two days, and spend the rest of the month kickin' their heels up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
such drama over speed these days..in my opinion its not they guys doing 160km in a straight line that kills people, its the douche bags weaving in and out of traffic. The media and police try make it out like excessive speeding is the worst thing ever, give me a break...IF the drivers only offense is driving fast then give them a hefty fine and let them be on their way, if they are also doing other dangerous things then give them a suspension.
Well, your opinion is stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #12
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
I dont know about that. It's true guy traveling at high speed AND focus in their surrounding won't cause much havoc. But it's never like that in the real world. You have these creatures behind the wheels doing 1001 things they're not supposed to be doing instead of focusing on driving. That AND excessive speed is the recipe for disaster.

Plus when they speed and they're blocked off by other people doing limit, they're gonna drive calmly behind? No. They have the tendency to do whatever they can to continue speeding.

When you realize this is not Germany and 70% of the drivers around you are retards, it makes a lot more sense to punish speeding.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i agree with everyone's posts here ...

but should we be the one to say such comments like

"those idiots" and "stupid" ....

don't tell me that everyone who posted these comments have not once sped up to these kind of speed on I5 going down to seattle or on a road trip where it's just a stretch of road.

as well going 160km/h and 150 km/h is honestly not that much more than going 120km/h on a highway. on any car with more than 300 hp it's literally 3 seconds of not modulating the throttle and you will accidentally get up to 150 km/h ...

Albeit their actions weren't correct, but to go as far as saying "INSTANT SUSPENSION" or "Up his insurance now!", what would you do if you were caught speeding one day when it was "safe" in your opinion and ended up in their shoes.

The last thing you would hope for is getting your license suspended and car impounded indefinitely. We should be fair in judging their character and not just because of an incident where they were caught doing the wrong deed and say all those who speeds deserve a death sentence.

It's only wrong when you get caught right? They were in the wrong spot doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Just my 2cents.
wbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I've gotten busted at those speeds before on a quiet highway, but it was in a boring car and I got let off with a lesser ticket.

They got a hefty fine and got towed (that sucks.) What's the Driver Risk Premium? I bet that's costly. These penalties sound plenty high to me.

Last edited by Nightwalker; 01-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-16-2012, 11:15 PM   #15
I bringith the lowerballerith

kinda sucks but I guess to a certain degree it depends on the type of car you drive as well. A story is not as newsworthy if it were a Hyundai or Toyota at the same speeds..
VrrM604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfever View Post
that's a very nice straight stretch of highway 1 near westmount/cypress exit. 160 km/h in a Porsche is weaksauce though. sucks for the guys.

few years ago a biker was clocked over 250 km/h around there, cops didn't chase him. they arrested him at his house afterwards though.
Ya, that stretch of road is fun at 3am
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #17

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbean View Post
as well going 160km/h and 150 km/h is honestly not that much more than going 120km/h on a highway.
Hands down the most ignorant comment in this thread. I always bring up this example, and people still ignore it.

Any modern sports car (Porsche, Ferrari...) will take longer to stop from 80MPH than the average grocery getter will take from 60 MPH. Sports cars, although they have higher limits, are also not able to change lanes at 80 MPH and avoid something on the road as easy as a grocery getter can at 60 MPH.

The whole idea that "modern cars are far safer and more capable" is complete and utter BS. Yes they are safer, but no, they are not capable of defying the laws of physics.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2012, 11:57 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbean View Post
i agree with everyone's posts here ...

but should we be the one to say such comments like

"those idiots" and "stupid" ....

don't tell me that everyone who posted these comments have not once sped up to these kind of speed on I5 going down to seattle or on a road trip where it's just a stretch of road.

as well going 160km/h and 150 km/h is honestly not that much more than going 120km/h on a highway. on any car with more than 300 hp it's literally 3 seconds of not modulating the throttle and you will accidentally get up to 150 km/h ...

Albeit their actions weren't correct, but to go as far as saying "INSTANT SUSPENSION" or "Up his insurance now!", what would you do if you were caught speeding one day when it was "safe" in your opinion and ended up in their shoes.

The last thing you would hope for is getting your license suspended and car impounded indefinitely. We should be fair in judging their character and not just because of an incident where they were caught doing the wrong deed and say all those who speeds deserve a death sentence.

It's only wrong when you get caught right? They were in the wrong spot doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Just my 2cents.
Just because your car is 500hp and can go 0-60 in 4 sec with just a twitch of a throttle doesn't justify anything. You are still driving at a higher speed.

Going from 120km/h to 160km/h IS FUCKING HUGE DIFFERENCE. In the even of a crash the energy of the impact is approximately is 1.78 times more than colliding at 120km/h. That is easily a difference between life and death. It is also way beyond the threshold of what the cars are crash tested for.

Also creating an accident or a collision is also a case of wrong spot, wrong time. Debris on the road? Wrong spot, wrong time. Animal running across the highway? Wrong spot, wrong time.

I am not saying that penalties for speeding is fair or not. In fact, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole, but get your facts straight first.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Hands down the most ignorant comment in this thread. I always bring up this example, and people still ignore it.

Any modern sports car (Porsche, Ferrari...) will take longer to stop from 80MPH than the average grocery getter will take from 60 MPH. Sports cars, although they have higher limits, are also not able to change lanes at 80 MPH and avoid something on the road as easy as a grocery getter can at 60 MPH.

The whole idea that "modern cars are far safer and more capable" is complete and utter BS. Yes they are safer, but no, they are not capable of defying the laws of physics.
Nobody said the grocery getter shouldn't be capable of driving 80 mph either. Picking 60 mph as the speed limit is rather arbitary. The same arguments can be used to propose that nobody should drive above 30 mph under any circumstance. I'm sure people living during the horse and buggy age decried the move to faster mechanized transport too.

Last edited by Marco911; 01-17-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Marco911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #21
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoc View Post
Just because your car is 500hp and can go 0-60 in 4 sec with just a twitch of a throttle doesn't justify anything. You are still driving at a higher speed.

Going from 120km/h to 160km/h IS FUCKING HUGE DIFFERENCE. In the even of a crash the energy of the impact is approximately is 1.78 times more than colliding at 120km/h. That is easily a difference between life and death. It is also way beyond the threshold of what the cars are crash tested for.

Also creating an accident or a collision is also a case of wrong spot, wrong time. Debris on the road? Wrong spot, wrong time. Animal running across the highway? Wrong spot, wrong time.

I am not saying that penalties for speeding is fair or not. In fact, I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole, but get your facts straight first.
1) 120 km/h is also way beyond the threshold of what cars are crash tested for.
2) Driving at 160 km/h can be reasonably safe if the conditions permit.

In all the unlikely cases you mention, there is also a chance of death and/or injury if you are driving at the speed limit.

Sure, speeding generally increases risk, but I wouldn't argue driving above the speed limit becomes risky. Driving at night, or during rush hour, or longer distances increases risk too.

People do risky things, like strap on a pair of skis, or snow board down a black diamond run because it's fun. Driving fast in a performance car is fun too.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #22

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
Nobody said the grocery getter shouldn't be capable of driving 80 mph either. Picking 60 mph as the speed limit is rather arbitary. The same arguments can be used to propose that nobody should drive above 30 mph under any circumstance. I'm sure people living during the horse and buggy age decried the move to faster mechanized transport too.
You're trying to twist around what I said - it won't work. People have a (wrong) belief that their sports car is just as safe at a slightly higher speed (like 80 MPH) than regular cars doing 60 MPH, which is false.

How many times have people posted on RS that their car handles "like it's on rails" or that modern sports cars are much safer at speed than previous cars? It shows that what most people believe is out of touch with reality.

Your chance of dying in a car crash goes up dramatically with an increase of speed over 60 MPH. So much so that you could walk away from a collision at 60 MPH with bruises, but die going only 20 MPH faster. Yet people think that that extra 20 MPH will only result in a slight increase in injuries or chance of death. Again, people who don't have a clue about basic physics.

The bottom line is speed is the #1 cause of traffic fatalities.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #23
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco911 View Post
1) 120 km/h is also way beyond the threshold of what cars are crash tested for.
2) Driving at 160 km/h can be reasonably safe if the conditions permit.

In all the unlikely cases you mention, there is also a chance of death and/or injury if you are driving at the speed limit.

Sure, speeding generally increases risk, but I wouldn't argue driving above the speed limit becomes risky. Driving at night, or during rush hour, or longer distances increases risk too.

People do risky things, like strap on a pair of skis, or snow board down a black diamond run because it's fun. Driving fast in a performance car is fun too.
1) So a car is not even crash tested for 120km/h, let alone 160km/h further proves that the risk of death upon collision at 160mk/h is extremely high. Trying to criticize technicalities that is beneficial to the weight of my argument is not going to help your case.
2) What is considered safe is completely arbitrary, and you left it vague. That argument holds no value whatsoever. Try again.

Driving at a relatively slower speed will decrease risk. Whether it be risk of death in the event of a collision, or the ability to avoid event of collision itself. That is physics, nothing to argue about here.

People who do risky things like snowboarding have a extremely low if not non-existent chance of harming others. Whereas, on a public road, the chances are high.

You can drive safely at high speeds in a closed course where everything is monitored. But on a public road there are so many variables that the driver can't control (including other drivers).

Argue all you want, but you can't change the laws of physics.

Last edited by Geoc; 01-18-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
I bringith the lowerballerith

IMO
Its not really the speed thats dangerous but the combination of the speed limit and speeders.
ex/autobahn????
ex/
If one person is going 170 while others are going 100 = a higher chance of collision?

I dont have the facts but when i am driving in other countries where city and hwy speed limits are much higher, i feel no difference in the 'level of safety'.
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #25
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
IMO
Its not really the speed thats dangerous but the combination of the speed limit and speeders.
ex/autobahn????
ex/
If one person is going 170 while others are going 100 = a higher chance of collision?

I dont have the facts but when i am driving in other countries where city and hwy speed limits are much higher, i feel no difference in the 'level of safety'.
We drive 140km/h on the Autobahn in the winter. Vancouver roads are different however, with 80km/h speed limits.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote