REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #101
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
^ welcome to RS.

stop posting and save yourself some face

Advertisement

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #102
Banned (ABWS)

OP u planning to go to med school? stop dreaming. BS
niu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #103
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
yes we may have all been a bit aggressive and that includes me and I apologize, but we have ALL given you the same answer; buy a cheaper, more basic car and pocket the money to go out and spend on modding, gas, maintenance, girls or what have you.
you simply do not need a luxury car at the age of 17 unless you have another 25g in your savings and you're willing to spend most of it in the coming years.
if you want a luxury car, a4's, g35's, 328's. etc are your best bet.
just be ready for the wallet rape-age.
otherwise be responsible and mature and buy something that fits your situation so you have the cash for anything that comes up
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #104
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I dont think anyone was bashing you til you made that honda comment lol

anyways I was in a similar position as you few years back. Parents promised me to buy me a new car (20k-25k) if I can get into university.

Wanted a new civic or the genesis coupe (first came out) at that time because they wouldnt allow me to buy used.

They ended up buying me a car without me being there with them. At first I wasnt happy at all with the purchase because It wasnt the car I wanted. But over time you kind of realize its just a car. It gets to you to places, and thats all you need, especially when you are in school. I am grateful that I have the choice to drive if I want/need to go out and not rely upon translink right now, and looking back, I am satisfy that they bought me a car good on gas and not some expensive car.

So not really like your position you have right now, but you get the point.
A cars a car, you will realize that. Sure you will get looks here and there and pussy left right and center. But hey imagine what you can do once you become a doctor

You have to factor in a lot of stuff later on. You say your 17? still in hs I assume? Well once you grad and get into university, everything gets expensive. Parking, food (if you are eating on campus) going out with friends ( your not 19 yet either) and textbooks. Science textbooks are not cheap btw.

Costs for stuff adds up fast, and this is not including gas, maintenance, insurance etc. And like someone said, you want to get into medical school? you need to study hard for that. So if you can think you can work at best buy (where they care for numbers if you do sales) + study sciences courses at the same time, then you must have some good time management. And btw, science courses at university is a lot tougher than hs.

Just some insight for you. Make sure you consider some of these factors before purchasing. Life after hs is a lot different and expensive
wuuhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #105
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuuhoo View Post

Costs for stuff adds up fast, and this is not including gas, maintenance, insurance etc. And like someone said, you want to get into medical school? you need to study hard for that. So if you can think you can work at best buy (where they care for numbers if you do sales) + study sciences courses at the same time, then you must have some good time management. And btw, science courses at university is a lot tougher than hs.

Just some insight for you. Make sure you consider some of these factors before purchasing. Life after hs is a lot different and expensive
This. OP look at it this way. 10k for some basic civic or whatever and you have 10-15k left over for just about anything.

Here, I'll give you a break down of my monthly costs at the moment:
Gas: $400 (if not more) for gas
Parking: $130-150?
Insurance: $400 or so don't remember exactly at the moment
that's almost a grand a month before factoring in text books, tuition, scheduled maintenance, oil changes, going out with friends, food, etc.

Like wuuhoo said, life after high school is very very expensive. Honestly if I could go back in time I'd just get a civic or something.

And oh to answer your question earlier I drive a new audi.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #106
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuuhoo View Post
I dont think anyone was bashing you til you made that honda comment lol

anyways I was in a similar position as you few years back. Parents promised me to buy me a new car (20k-25k) if I can get into university.

Wanted a new civic or the genesis coupe (first came out) at that time because they wouldnt allow me to buy used.

They ended up buying me a car without me being there with them. At first I wasnt happy at all with the purchase because It wasnt the car I wanted. But over time you kind of realize its just a car. It gets to you to places, and thats all you need, especially when you are in school. I am grateful that I have the choice to drive if I want/need to go out and not rely upon translink right now, and looking back, I am satisfy that they bought me a car good on gas and not some expensive car.

So not really like your position you have right now, but you get the point.
A cars a car, you will realize that. Sure you will get looks here and there and pussy left right and center. But hey imagine what you can do once you become a doctor

You have to factor in a lot of stuff later on. You say your 17? still in hs I assume? Well once you grad and get into university, everything gets expensive. Parking, food (if you are eating on campus) going out with friends ( your not 19 yet either) and textbooks. Science textbooks are not cheap btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongy View Post
This. OP look at it this way. 10k for some basic civic or whatever and you have 10-15k left over for just about anything.

Here, I'll give you a break down of my monthly costs at the moment:
Gas: $400 (if not more) for gas
Parking: $130-150?
Insurance: $400 or so don't remember exactly at the moment
that's almost a grand a month before factoring in text books, tuition, scheduled maintenance, oil changes, going out with friends, food, etc.

Like wuuhoo said, life after high school is very very expensive. Honestly if I could go back in time I'd just get a civic or something.

And oh to answer your question earlier I drive a new audi.
Wow. That is exactly what I was looking for, you all opened my eyes I thought it would be the same as now because I don't do much spending, other than the odd shopping days... But thanks, I really learned a lot I respect you all for helping me out on this..
EUPHORiA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #107

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
we just don't want you to make a decision that might hurt you financially down the road.
but we all have parents to give us a helping hand when in need.
good luck =)
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #108
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORiA1911 View Post
Well. I was just asking for an honest opinion on it. I'm not trying to brag as you guys think....
Didn't expect this thread to "turn to shit".
I am actually thankful I am getting a car, but it seems that some people look at it in more of a jealous way.
But yeah I understand what you mean by getting from point a to point b, that's all I should be worrying about I guess, because honestly I know nothing about the life to come.
Posted via RS Mobile
No one is jealous of you... a lot of people get the same or even better than what you have.

The thing is the attitude you have towards other options out there and you make it seem like some cars are beneath you when you never know what will happen in life and someday you may be forced to drive a beater or something. You're still young, enjoy what you have now and be grateful to your parents but don't be so quick to diss other cars.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #109
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPHORiA1911 View Post
Okay, look. I am sorry if I have offended or disrespected any of you.
I am not here to start fights or anything.
But its just rude how you guys are treating me like a douche just because I'm getting a car.
It's a lot more common than you guys may think nowadays.
I mean how much more "modest" can one get?
I'm replying normally but you all are taking it way differently.
I understand I shouldn't have said that about Hondas but seriously, I am not here to cause trouble.
Posted via RS Mobile
They're not treating you like a douche because you're getting a car. They're treating you like a douche because you seem to be acting entitled.

I'll be honest, I haven't read this thread. I have read your first post, and pages four and five. But I want you to do something for me, to maybe try and help you understand where the people in this thread are coming from:

Look at your school's teachers' parking lot. I went to Burnaby North, lo those ages ago, which had both a student parking lot and a staff parking lot. The staff lot? Filled with 5-10 year old Hondas, Toyotas, Chrysler minivans and the like. The student lot? Filled with an interesting mix of '80s musclecars alongside bimmers and benzes. Oh, and the occasional $500 CL junker.

A buddy of mine got his driver's license with zero demerits (back in the days before the GLP--yeah, I'm an old fogey...still younger than MG1!), and got a brand new BMW 325Ci from his parents. Insured, gas and maintenance until graduation. His was not an unusual story.

Teachers aren't totally broke. When they reach the top of their payscale, they're making a tad under $80k a year (though when you take off taxes, union dues, benefits, RRSP, pension etc it becomes appreciably less), yet there are few luxury cars to be seen. Why? Because Luxury cars are supposed to be luxurious.

When I got my first car, it was a 1991 Nissan Stanza that was gifted to me by my grandpa. When I finally got rid of it I sold it for $600. I insured it, I maintained it, and I gassed it. At 17 years old, I paid about $1600/yr for insurance, $200ish a month for gas, and...maintenance I can't remember. Needed a new exhaust after a year, and some routine maintenance. I'm pretty sure in the year and a half I owned it that I spent about $2,000 on that.

Total at the end of a year? $5500. I graduated that year, and was working fulltime at Starbucks ($8.60/hr, much above the minimum wage back then). I put a bit more than half my money into my car.

Let's take a look at the costs you'll be facing:

Gas is not cheap--most luxury cars require 91 at a minimum. You know the price on the gas stands that says $1.2x/L? That's for the 87 octane. Add about15-20c for the price you'd be paying. And with a 3.xL engine you'll be going through a lot of it. And don't think you can believe the "kilometres per litre" advisory on new car stickers. As a young person, you will have LeadFootItis.

Insurance will not be cheap either. Those types of cars are often driven fast and the repair costs are not low on them. Since you're so young, you'll have no insurance discount to lean on. Think about going to insurance brokers and working out insurance costs.

If you're maintaining it on your own, be prepared to replace the brakes and tires within a year, in addition to normal maintenance. And what happens if something big breaks?

These kinds of things are the reason people are saying what they are. A luxury car is supposed to be a luxury. It is supposed to be a reward for people who have worked hard and made a place for themselves, and have the spare money to buy and keep something expensive.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #110
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
i m surprised the Fail button for OP hasnt gone out of hand yet for every post hes replied to

but seriously.. get a 02-05 civic now that i actually read all your posts.
you ll do better in the long run gas wise

plus, its not THAT bad looking
the interior may be a little less than what your looking at, but whatever work your way up !
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #111
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
They're not treating you like a douche because you're getting a car. They're treating you like a douche because you seem to be acting entitled.

I'll be honest, I haven't read this thread. I have read your first post, and pages four and five. But I want you to do something for me, to maybe try and help you understand where the people in this thread are coming from:

Look at your school's teachers' parking lot. I went to Burnaby North, lo those ages ago, which had both a student parking lot and a staff parking lot. The staff lot? Filled with 5-10 year old Hondas, Toyotas, Chrysler minivans and the like. The student lot? Filled with an interesting mix of '80s musclecars alongside bimmers and benzes. Oh, and the occasional $500 CL junker.

A buddy of mine got his driver's license with zero demerits (back in the days before the GLP--yeah, I'm an old fogey...still younger than MG1!), and got a brand new BMW 325Ci from his parents. Insured, gas and maintenance until graduation. His was not an unusual story.

Teachers aren't totally broke. When they reach the top of their payscale, they're making a tad under $80k a year (though when you take off taxes, union dues, benefits, RRSP, pension etc it becomes appreciably less), yet there are few luxury cars to be seen. Why? Because Luxury cars are supposed to be luxurious.

When I got my first car, it was a 1991 Nissan Stanza that was gifted to me by my grandpa. When I finally got rid of it I sold it for $600. I insured it, I maintained it, and I gassed it. At 17 years old, I paid about $1600/yr for insurance, $200ish a month for gas, and...maintenance I can't remember. Needed a new exhaust after a year, and some routine maintenance. I'm pretty sure in the year and a half I owned it that I spent about $2,000 on that.

Total at the end of a year? $5500. I graduated that year, and was working fulltime at Starbucks ($8.60/hr, much above the minimum wage back then). I put a bit more than half my money into my car.

Let's take a look at the costs you'll be facing:

Gas is not cheap--most luxury cars require 91 at a minimum. You know the price on the gas stands that says $1.2x/L? That's for the 87 octane. Add about15-20c for the price you'd be paying. And with a 3.xL engine you'll be going through a lot of it. And don't think you can believe the "kilometres per litre" advisory on new car stickers. As a young person, you will have LeadFootItis.

Insurance will not be cheap either. Those types of cars are often driven fast and the repair costs are not low on them. Since you're so young, you'll have no insurance discount to lean on. Think about going to insurance brokers and working out insurance costs.

If you're maintaining it on your own, be prepared to replace the brakes and tires within a year, in addition to normal maintenance. And what happens if something big breaks?

These kinds of things are the reason people are saying what they are. A luxury car is supposed to be a luxury. It is supposed to be a reward for people who have worked hard and made a place for themselves, and have the spare money to buy and keep something expensive.
Wow. Thanks...
EUPHORiA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #112
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post
i m surprised the Fail button for OP hasnt gone out of hand yet for every post hes replied to

but seriously.. get a 02-05 civic now that i actually read all your posts.
you ll do better in the long run gas wise

plus, its not THAT bad looking
the interior may be a little less than what your looking at, but whatever work your way up !
He's not getting as many fails because what he needs is good advice, which there has been a lot of. And the fact that he's only 17 and he hasn't come across as overly arrogant, with the exception of the comment aimed at Hondas

Last edited by Spectre_Cdn; 01-15-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Spectre_Cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #113
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
After reading this thread. i realized how stupid i was, thinking i need a luxury car at the age of 16
Im pretty happy with my corolla now that i realized it.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by Gerbs; 01-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #114
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
After reading this thread. i realized how stupid i was, wanting a luxury car at the age of 16
Posted via RS Mobile
since when was it stupid to WANT a luxury car? im sure we all want one! it's called a dream man

sometimes we just gotta realize some things are meant to be put on hold for a lil bit

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #115
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbs View Post
After reading this thread. i realized how stupid i was, thinking i need a luxury car at the age of 16
Posted via RS Mobile
you with a corolla better stay on the right lane if you are going to drive slow like the rest of them
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #116
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Purchasing a luxury car doesn't mean you're rich, a lot of people can fork out the cash for one. But maintaining and gassing one up, that's where you really need to be wealthy. And you're about to learn it the hard way.

Don't just assume everything, that's just naive. Sit down and actually do some math, you would be shocked how big the number gets once you factor everything in.

I almost made the same mistake as you did when I was your age. Right now I am rocking the u-pass.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #117
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
i hope you guys realize that nothing said in this thread is going to sway him from the $25000 car lol.

just be thankful for what you have and realize that you're lucky as hell for having parents who can provide for you. and once you work your ass off and finish med school, repay your parents by doing even better than they did in their lifetime because in the end that's all they want.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 PM   #118
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Lol at trying to have serious conversation on the internetz
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #119
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
i hope you guys realize that nothing said in this thread is going to sway him from the $25000 car lol.

just be thankful for what you have and realize that you're lucky as hell for having parents who can provide for you. and once you work your ass off and finish med school, repay your parents by doing even better than they did in their lifetime because in the end that's all they want.
In that case, how about a 2004/2005 Range Rover
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #120
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ phenomenal gas mileage and cheap cheap cheap maintenance!!

donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #121
Who's naughty? I___i

get a second hand altima sedan/coupe, they don't cost much.
Szeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #122

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Audi = money pit..

I'd get a Honda Fit But I wanted that AWD
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 AM   #123
Banned (ABWS)

Another thing, if its your first car, chances are you'll be in an accident and it will get "roughed up" regardless of how much you care for it. Look at it like a "starter girlriend", you have to bang a few "clunkers" before you get to the ferrari.
Posted via RS Mobile
bobbyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #124
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
CharlieH is right. Judging by your responses, there's no way you're mature enough to end up 'settling' for a 10k Honda, saving your parents 15K in the process.

You're gonna end up browsing, debating between a few luxury cars, and end up with a 3-series that'll cost between 25-30K. Your parents will pay for everything, including the gas. If it comes out of your wallet, it doesn't count as you paying for it if your parents put the money in there to begin with.

This isn't a shot at you, it's fine that your parents are able to provide you with those luxuries. Just take it all in, be thankful for their life of hard work so you can live yours privileged. Pitch in around the house, get into med school, and study hard.

And quit Revscene, it screwed us all over.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #125
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post

And quit Revscene, it screwed us all over.
Revscene+finals=fail.
MY PENIS IS THE SIZE OF A CIGARETTE LIGHTER! jizzing on my keyboard is hard for me! imma be fucked for life, but fuck it I'm a BITCH!
hongy is offline   Reply With Quote