REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Justice Institute Files Accessed

Ok, I'm a little confused, and I don't know what information I'm trying to obtain here, but in the back of my head I've been worried about this a little, so maybe just writing it out will help.

I'm talking about this:

West Vancouver house fire linked to Justice Institute investigation

I think. Well, not that specific house, but the information from the JI being accessed.

In late November, I had 2 plain clothes detectives come to our building wanting to talk to the manager. They never linked this conversation to the JI thing, so I don't know that its even the same thing.

Basically, they told me that a tenant had their information accessed somewhere along with others and there was a heightened possibility of arsons and shootings in the people that were accessed on this list.

And then the JI thing made it to the papers and its like, ok...probably the same thing.

They taped me being read the notice which was so vague, it was almost pointless. Then started asking about building security-cameras, locks and so on.

So I'm a little on edge.

Then I didn't really hear anything further. Until yesterday. A tenant comes to me and says he came home, and found a silver BMW parked in his parking spot. So he pulls in front of it, and a guy chirps out the window for him to move, he's a cop, blah blah blah.

The tenant actually called 911 to confirm(which good on him!) and they report back, yes, he's one of ours and he's not after you.

There was another little bit, but that tenant is a drunk so I consider it irrelevant.

So I guess I'm confused, a little mad and then more confused. I get that most building managers are, a little off their rocker. Dino and I are not. We take it seriously and manage our buildings like businesses, but I understand that most people coming in expect a certain type of person.

But I have these guys come to the building, tell me to be on the look-out for drive-bys and arsons, but don't worry, its not like a hit list, just a guideline list, put some signs up in the lobby warning people to also be on the look out and thats it.

Then I have undercovers in my parking lot for, we were told 4 hours, but that was by the drunk guy, and I'm kept completely out of the loop. We were home all day!

The part that kind of annoys me, is the plain clothes didn't even leave me a card, and I forgot to ask, so I can't even talk to them with follow up questions.

Sorry, this is kind of a weird post, with no real question, so I'll add one.

WTF?
Advertisement
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
But I have these guys come to the building, tell me to be on the look-out for drive-bys and arsons, but don't worry, its not like a hit list, just a guideline list, put some signs up in the lobby warning people to also be on the look out and thats it.

Must be a tough job you two have.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

It can be the most annoying, frustrating but enjoyable job that I've had. It really is what you make it. A LOT of others that do this just go with the status quo, and I think the fun part comes in when you start changing it up.

Typical managers would have this with the police and say, "duh..ok" whereas we actually go and try to be proactive with this.

And it happens all the time. One old manager had a dude chain smoking indoors for 7 years across the hall from his own apartment. I wrote a nasty letter and kicked his habit for him in 1 week.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
This story was in the news a few weeks ago. Someone who accessed the JI files was going after people who were involved with JI.

Attacks on B.C. Justice Institute associates continue - The Globe and Mail
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I've been reading a lot of this lately but I can't find any info why this "group" is targeting the JI. Any links to more info? I just find it weird that people are targeted because they are linked to a school.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Maybe he targeting has everything to do with who goes to the JI? That would not be wierd. Never met a criminal yet who loved being arrested for their crimes.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've attended courses at the JI, and I'm not in law enforcement. Also, firefighters do their training at the JI at the Maple Ridge Campus. So, yes, targeting people who attend the Justice Institute is weird.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
RS Peace Officer

My understanding is that the targeted people had law enforcement connections?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Now you guys see my frustration. It's bad enough that I have this statement read to me, and a whole bunch of questions asked about security procedures and equipment but no follow up and no real information.

Then I get random cars sitting in my parking lot. There have now been 2 of them. The BMW confirmed, and I saw a guy in a black maxima with a laptop the other day. He was gone by the time I got back down.

I can only imagine what runs through the head of the woman who's actual apartment address came up in all this.

And I don't even really know if its related to the JI thing.