REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Bungee jumper falls into crocodile-infested water after bungee cord snaps (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661294-bungee-jumper-falls-into-crocodile-infested-water-after-bungee-cord-snaps.html)

cliffhanger33 01-14-2012 10:08 PM

Bungee jumper falls into crocodile-infested water after bungee cord snaps

Not sure if this has been posted before, but an Australian tourist in Zimbabwe bungee fall into crocodile-infested water in Zembezi river after bungee cord saps. :heckno:

She surives after untangling herself in the rocks and swimming to safety.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ord-snaps.html
Quote:

A tourist has miraculously survived following a fall into crocodile-infested waters after the cord snapped while she was bungee jumping in Zambia.
Australian backpacker Erin Langworthy fell into the Zambezi river following the terrifying mishap, which happened as she leapt from a bridge at Victoria Falls on the country's border with Zimbabwe.
The 22-year-old told how her feet were still tied together as she fell head first into the fast-flowing rapids beneath the world's largest waterfall.
Miss Langworthy said she feared for her life but managed to survive after swimming to a nearby bank on the side of the river.
She said: 'It went black straight away and I felt like I'd been slapped all over.
'I landed with my legs tied and then had to swim to the Zimbabwe side [of the river] through the rapids,' she told Australia's Channel Nine network.
'It was quite scary because a couple of times the rope actually got caught on some rocks or debris.
'I actually had to swim down and yank the bungee cord out of whatever it was caught on to make it to the surface.'
'When I was first pulled out of the water they put me on my back and so all the water that I'd inhaled meant that I couldn't breathe, so I made them roll me onto my side.

Stranded in the Atlantic and running out of water: 'Mission critical' for amputee servicemen trying to row 3,000 miles across ocean
'And that's when I started coughing out water and blood. I think it's definitely a miracle that I survived.'
A battered and bruised Miss Langworthy spent a week in hospital following the incident, which happened on New Year's Eve. Officials have since launched an investigation into what caused the terrifying accident.
Chilling footage of the incident shows the young holidaymaker, from Perth, leaping from the bridge which crosses a gorge 111 metres above the water.
It shows how her bungee cord snapped as she reached the bottom of her descent, sending her flying down towards the water below.
According to reports it is believed she was around 20 metres above the Zambezi when the cord broke. She hit the water and immediately fought to get herself towards the shore.
Zambian police spokeswoman Brenda Muntemba confirmed the holidaymaker was eventually rescued after reaching the side of the river.
She was treated by medics in the town of Victoria Falls before being transferred to a hospital in neighbouring South Africa.

The government has set out to reassure people the tourist attraction is safe, despite the incident.
Tourism minister Given Lubinda said around 50,000 people made the leap each year at the world-famous beauty spot.
'The bungee has proven to be a very viable operation considering that more than 50,000 tourists jump on it every year.

'It has been in operation for 10 years. This is the first time I am hearing of an incident. The probability of an incident is one in 500,000 jumps.'
The minister added that his office had launched a full investigation.
Every week hundreds of tourists pay around £80 ($120) for the thrill of jumping off a rail bridge which links the two countries.
The Zambia Post reported that the jump was operated by a private firm, Bungee Extreme, which confirmed it was looking into the incident.

yot065 01-14-2012 11:07 PM

thats scary as hell

Mr.HappySilp 01-14-2012 11:23 PM

Could they have the Bungee jump at a safer place.... say one that DOESN'T HAVE crocodile......

Greenstoner 01-14-2012 11:31 PM

good news but old news

sorry brah

LSF22 01-15-2012 12:05 AM

One must ask.... why would you designate the bungee jump area over crocodile-infested waters :fulloffuck:

AzNightmare 01-15-2012 12:35 AM

And this is how rumors start.
Video posted from unofficial source with misleading video title.

No where in the article does it say "crocodile"

Doubl3_H 01-15-2012 12:47 AM

not a croc expert, but I don't think crocs live in fast moving water like the one in the video

Nightwalker 01-15-2012 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 7761416)
Could they have the Bungee jump at a safer place.... say one that DOESN'T HAVE crocodile......

There's plenty of places where they bungee over land!

I bet she's happy that wasn't one of them.

jerche 01-15-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7761494)

this article does..

Bungee Jumper's Cord Snaps In Freak Accident; Australian Erin Langworthy Survives Plunge

cliffhanger33 01-15-2012 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7761494)

True, but I found this article that mentioned crocodile. I'll edit my post.

Bungee jumper Erin Langworthy escapes crocodile-infested rapids after cord snaps | Mail Online

But then again, logic tells us that the article is over exaggerating as crocodiles most likely wouldn't be found in that part of the Zambezi river, but more at the location of where the river widens; where the water is still.