REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Bungee jumper falls into crocodile-infested water after bungee cord snaps

Not sure if this has been posted before, but an Australian tourist in Zimbabwe bungee fall into crocodile-infested water in Zembezi river after bungee cord saps.

She surives after untangling herself in the rocks and swimming to safety.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ord-snaps.html
Quote:
A tourist has miraculously survived following a fall into crocodile-infested waters after the cord snapped while she was bungee jumping in Zambia.
Australian backpacker Erin Langworthy fell into the Zambezi river following the terrifying mishap, which happened as she leapt from a bridge at Victoria Falls on the country's border with Zimbabwe.
The 22-year-old told how her feet were still tied together as she fell head first into the fast-flowing rapids beneath the world's largest waterfall.
Miss Langworthy said she feared for her life but managed to survive after swimming to a nearby bank on the side of the river.
She said: 'It went black straight away and I felt like I'd been slapped all over.
'I landed with my legs tied and then had to swim to the Zimbabwe side [of the river] through the rapids,' she told Australia's Channel Nine network.
'It was quite scary because a couple of times the rope actually got caught on some rocks or debris.
'I actually had to swim down and yank the bungee cord out of whatever it was caught on to make it to the surface.'
'When I was first pulled out of the water they put me on my back and so all the water that I'd inhaled meant that I couldn't breathe, so I made them roll me onto my side.

Stranded in the Atlantic and running out of water: 'Mission critical' for amputee servicemen trying to row 3,000 miles across ocean
'And that's when I started coughing out water and blood. I think it's definitely a miracle that I survived.'
A battered and bruised Miss Langworthy spent a week in hospital following the incident, which happened on New Year's Eve. Officials have since launched an investigation into what caused the terrifying accident.
Chilling footage of the incident shows the young holidaymaker, from Perth, leaping from the bridge which crosses a gorge 111 metres above the water.
It shows how her bungee cord snapped as she reached the bottom of her descent, sending her flying down towards the water below.
According to reports it is believed she was around 20 metres above the Zambezi when the cord broke. She hit the water and immediately fought to get herself towards the shore.
Zambian police spokeswoman Brenda Muntemba confirmed the holidaymaker was eventually rescued after reaching the side of the river.
She was treated by medics in the town of Victoria Falls before being transferred to a hospital in neighbouring South Africa.

The government has set out to reassure people the tourist attraction is safe, despite the incident.
Tourism minister Given Lubinda said around 50,000 people made the leap each year at the world-famous beauty spot.
'The bungee has proven to be a very viable operation considering that more than 50,000 tourists jump on it every year.

'It has been in operation for 10 years. This is the first time I am hearing of an incident. The probability of an incident is one in 500,000 jumps.'
The minister added that his office had launched a full investigation.
Every week hundreds of tourists pay around £80 ($120) for the thrill of jumping off a rail bridge which links the two countries.
The Zambia Post reported that the jump was operated by a private firm, Bungee Extreme, which confirmed it was looking into the incident.
Advertisement
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...

Last edited by cliffhanger33; 01-15-2012 at 02:02 AM.
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Need my Daily Fix of RS

thats scary as hell
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #3
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Could they have the Bungee jump at a safer place.... say one that DOESN'T HAVE crocodile......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
good news but old news

sorry brah
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
One must ask.... why would you designate the bungee jump area over crocodile-infested waters

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:35 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
And this is how rumors start.
Video posted from unofficial source with misleading video title.

No where in the article does it say "crocodile"
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

not a croc expert, but I don't think crocs live in fast moving water like the one in the video
-"--"-
Doubl3_H is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Could they have the Bungee jump at a safer place.... say one that DOESN'T HAVE crocodile......
There's plenty of places where they bungee over land!

I bet she's happy that wasn't one of them.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

this article does..

Bungee Jumper's Cord Snaps In Freak Accident; Australian Erin Langworthy Survives Plunge
jerche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #10
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post

True, but I found this article that mentioned crocodile. I'll edit my post.

Bungee jumper Erin Langworthy escapes crocodile-infested rapids after cord snaps | Mail Online

But then again, logic tells us that the article is over exaggerating as crocodiles most likely wouldn't be found in that part of the Zambezi river, but more at the location of where the river widens; where the water is still.
her: why are all guys asking the same f**king question?
me: i uno.... so can I tap that
her: stfu you got a gf
me: tap together?

no reply...
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote