REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Corrections Officer

Hi, not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, sorry for noobness.

I'm doing an assignment regarding corrections officers, and apparently there is a shortage in Canada? I can't seem to find any news articles, stats, or anything claiming such a statement. If any of you know of such articles, or have knowledge of this shortage, please post your inputs. Thanks!
Advertisement
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmisstrinh View Post
Hi, not sure if I'm posting in the right forum, sorry for noobness.

I'm doing an assignment regarding corrections officers, and apparently there is a shortage in Canada? I can't seem to find any news articles, stats, or anything claiming such a statement. If any of you know of such articles, or have knowledge of this shortage, please post your inputs. Thanks!
I'm assuming you are referring to CSC as you said "in Canada?" Provincial corrections has been dealing with chronic staffing shortages for as long as I can remember, most notably in the first half of the millennium. These days the focus is more on the BC Sheriffs experiencing the most attention for staff shortages.

Keep in mind, virtually all areas of public safety have staff shortages. Even when they cease hiring to slim excess positions, there are still reports of staff shortages. There is simply never the budget for proper staff, and all the bureaucrats play it up to cover their own mismanagement.

Within the CSC, I'm not aware of any major staff shortages that have been newsworthy or had a large impact, mind you I'm not working in that industry. However with the expansion of the Con's federal prison program, there is an enormous hiring push expected in the near future, as current levels of staff are severely inadequate - I believe it is in the thousands of new hires?

Either way, maybe the best person to help you with your homework is your teacher or classmates? Geez, what'd people do before the internet and message boards ?
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Staffing crisis prompts protests at B.C. correctional centres | National Union of Public and General Employees

And this may be the reason why..

http://www.sfu.ca/pamr/media-release...s-workers.html
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, my family has done their part. My sister is a parole officer and was a CO, her ex-husband is a CO and her current husband is a CO. All federal.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
My roommate is a PO and my brother's GF works for corrections Ontario.

What I've gotten from them is that many in Corrections abuse stress leave as extended vacation cause they can, which is causing the rest to pick up the slack.

Last edited by taylor192; 01-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #6
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I've actually heard from a couple corrections officers that it's pretty competitive to get into.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post
I'm assuming you are referring to CSC as you said "in Canada?" Provincial corrections has been dealing with chronic staffing shortages for as long as I can remember, most notably in the first half of the millennium. These days the focus is more on the BC Sheriffs experiencing the most attention for staff shortages.

Keep in mind, virtually all areas of public safety have staff shortages. Even when they cease hiring to slim excess positions, there are still reports of staff shortages. There is simply never the budget for proper staff, and all the bureaucrats play it up to cover their own mismanagement.

Within the CSC, I'm not aware of any major staff shortages that have been newsworthy or had a large impact, mind you I'm not working in that industry. However with the expansion of the Con's federal prison program, there is an enormous hiring push expected in the near future, as current levels of staff are severely inadequate - I believe it is in the thousands of new hires?

Either way, maybe the best person to help you with your homework is your teacher or classmates? Geez, what'd people do before the internet and message boards ?
I'm doing this for an HR project and the teacher said that this shortage was news to her and I've been googling tons and mostly what I see are shortages of corrections officers in Mexico... lol

Thanks for your info!
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwy View Post
I've actually heard from a couple corrections officers that it's pretty competitive to get into.
My sister had a fairly easy time competition wise-let's face facts, she's a girl. She did have a hard time with the physical testing. She's not your typical CO officer woman in any way.

Her ex had a hard time. He was just one of many and had to re-apply multiple times.

Pretty sweet deal for her. They covered a % of her remaining education that she did while on mat leave and came back and got fat promotions into parole, which is hugely competitive. Much like prisoners, everyone wants to escape prison.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I'm doing this for an HR project and the teacher said that this shortage was news to her and I've been googling tons and mostly what I see are shortages of corrections officers in Mexico... lol

I think they also have lots of Police openings. They fired the entire force in one city for drug corruption.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote