REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Thoughts on 06-07 Audi A3 2.0t? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661353-thoughts-06-07-audi-a3-2-0t.html)

jpark 01-15-2012 09:49 PM

Thoughts on 06-07 Audi A3 2.0t?

My brother is looking to purchase a pre-owned 06-07 A3 2.0t (DSG) with anywhere around 60k~80k kms.. i searched up couple audi forums but their opinions seem too biased, so here i am asking on rs :fullofwin:

would like to know couple things:
- I am almost 99% certain that the early model a3's with the FSI arent the best reliable option to begin with.. unless someone can correct me? or any thoughts on this?

- Msn auto review says that these cars have frequent radiator failure.. the cost of the fix estimated on the msnauto review doesnt seem TOO bad at $290 for parts approxiamtely $195 for labor.. can any of you who encountered through such repair confirm about this situation? and whether if this is a hit or a miss issue, or a frequent problem with 06-07 a3's?

- How often do the DSG tranny's need servicing?.
Maintainance wise, is there a big difference between the 6 speed manual?
(maintanance cost, servicing etc.)
Mechanical wise, which one would you guys prefer? the 6 speed manual or the DSG? and why? (disregarding the "fun" factor)

-i will also be driving this car as well, how is it for everyday driving? (other than gas mileage concerns) any discomforts with the suspension? road noise? any annoying little issues? etc

overall, i am a little iffy about purchasing a used audi..our family used to have a b6 2003 a4 3.0, nice car and all, but the frequent problems kept us really annoyed and it ended up leaving our family..
I've been trying to tell my brother to look at some tsx's or Honda's which my family is quite familiar with, but oh well this is what he wants..

waiting for some insightful information, thanks guys

hongy 01-15-2012 09:56 PM

Don't buy a used audi.... Mine's new and already has problems. :heckno: Can't imagine buying a used one.

CorneringArtist 01-15-2012 09:59 PM

I remember hearing that A3's of that generation are re-skinned GTI's so they might share the FSI engines inherent problems (a quick Google search brings up sludge issues, and I've personally seen a GTI camshaft with the lobes worn to a near circle due to oiling issues). However, I would also like to know more about the FSI's problems for my own education. For DSG service, a VERY rough Google search brings up every 40k according to the service manual.

A classmate of mine had one and he seemed to like it. '08 stock 6-speed and he said it was a decent drive. Problem was he was a dumbass and somehow got the air jacks on a 4-post hoist stuck under it while trying to back it off.

kkttsang 01-15-2012 10:06 PM

my gf has one and it burns oil lots, you gonna need to keep a couple quartz in ur trunk. other than that no major problems.

maxx 01-15-2012 10:42 PM

A3's are awesome, used ones can be had for very little money and lots in there in terms of luxury, performance and practicality. buy from a dealer and CPO only. DSG is the way to go. in terms of maintenance, audi dealers will offer you a maintenance package for a CPO car, the same pack they offer on new ones, so you dont have to pay for maintenance until 115000 kms, Audi is the only one who offers this package, which should tell you how reliable their cars are.

EvoFire 01-15-2012 11:48 PM

I vaguely remember, the A3 is the one that's a rebadged gen5 GTI, not the A4.

I believe any issues that rears its head on a GTI applies here as well. I'd be worried about the DSG's longevity and maintenance costs. Darthchilli has a Gen5 GTI and I've heard some bad things from him about his DSG.

Either ways, I'd go for a CPO in manual if possible, just way too many things that can go wrong with the FSI and DSG combo. I'm sure the real lemons are one in a million, but you are buying a used car and I'm not sure that's the best way to take your chances.

dogeatcookie 01-16-2012 12:16 AM

Burning oil is a common problem with the 2.0t engines, it's nothing to worry about. Diverter valves seemed to be a huge issue with these cars back in the days, but I'm pretty sure most of the cars have already gotten the replacement valves at some point during regular services. Contrary to popular belief these cars are actually pretty reliable, they just have minor issues with part designs, which is normal for such complex engineering.

One major issue I've seen with the A3's is the OpenSky sunroof, there's a design issue with the sunshade latches, not a major issue by any means, just a headache for the owners I guess. If the car is CPO then your brother shouldn't have anything to worry about.

GDChoi 01-16-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 7762541)
I remember hearing that A4's of that generation are re-skinned GTI's so they might share the FSI engines inherent problems (a quick Google search brings up sludge issues, and I've personally seen a GTI camshaft with the lobes worn to a near circle due to oiling issues). However, I would also like to know more about the FSI's problems for my own education. For DSG service, a VERY rough Google search brings up every 40k according to the service manual.

He is right, unfortunately I have an fsi engine too.
Nothing is wrong with my car, cuz I frequently change my cam followers, but for FSI engines if you dont change your cam follower every 40k or so you risk blowing your camshaft

besides that no major problems to really worry about

TOPEC 01-16-2012 01:07 AM

Audi/VW uses the same engine across many different cars, ex, the 2.0t is found in the A3, A4, TT, Q5, GTi, Golf, Jettam Beetle, etc. etc.

look into carbon deposits n see if its a major issue, it seems to plaque all direction injection engines unless it has secondary port injections like the lexus isX50

oh and unless ur brother has a small frame, he'll find it somewhat cramped in an a3

jpark 01-16-2012 08:21 AM

thanks for the reply guys, slight burning of oil and being cramped.. is what i go through daily in my s2k :fuckthatshit: so not much of a problem, but im still curious to find out how reliable the dsg transmissions are

i test drove a 07 gti (dsg) couple weeks ago, we put it into sport mode and mildly accelerated from a dead stop at a light, but the car bogged around 4000rpm and wouldnt let me go past any further like a rev limiter kicked in or something.. it didnt shift up either, and then the check engine light came on :suspicious:
i shifted back to Drive, didnt do anything (rpm still staying at 4k), so i put the gear in neutral, pulled over and shifted back into Drive and it drove fine again. (check engine light still on)

anyone know what this issue might be? possibly one of those issues with the dsg? im assuming it will apply to the a3 as well since they are identically the same car just underneath different badging.. or maybe it was just this particular gti due to being so poorly taken care of? who knows :/

swfk 01-16-2012 09:07 AM

My brother owns a DSG (MK6 GTI) which I sometimes drive. Great car and DSG is really quick and awesome. However after about a month I missed my clutch pedal so much. It's a good "brother's car" which you can occasionally drive when you know you're gonna be tired and going to be stuck in traffic hahah

too_slow 01-16-2012 09:28 AM

-early A3's are OK if you don't mind having to service the belts, the cam-follower... Do a compression/leakdown test to make sure it's not devouring oil.. If you've owned a high-revving VTEC engine before, I'm sure you've already developed a habit of checking the oil levels often
-like the mini cooper, the panaroof is prone to leaks and rattling
-I would highly recommend that you spend the extra $4-5k to get a 2008.5+ A3 with the 2.0 TFSI engine. It's basically a brand new engine with all the old kinks of the FSI engine ironed out..
-Not much has changed on the 8P A3 during the entire lifecycle (2006-now). They added Quattro as an option in 2009 and TDI in 2010
-They are very fun to drive and supremely comfortable.. They're also pretty good on gas if you don't have a lead foot, and respond well to mods

too_slow 01-16-2012 09:29 AM

And the DSG requires flushing every 40,000miles (or 60,000kms).. If you don't do it, prepare to kiss your tranny good bye

too_slow 01-16-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpark (Post 7762823)
thanks for the reply guys, slight burning of oil and being cramped.. is what i go through daily in my s2k :fuckthatshit: so not much of a problem, but im still curious to find out how reliable the dsg transmissions are

i test drove a 07 gti (dsg) couple weeks ago, we put it into sport mode and mildly accelerated from a dead stop at a light, but the car bogged around 4000rpm and wouldnt let me go past any further like a rev limiter kicked in or something.. it didnt shift up either, and then the check engine light came on :suspicious:
i shifted back to Drive, didnt do anything (rpm still staying at 4k), so i put the gear in neutral, pulled over and shifted back into Drive and it drove fine again. (check engine light still on)

anyone know what this issue might be? possibly one of those issues with the dsg? im assuming it will apply to the a3 as well since they are identically the same car just underneath different badging.. or maybe it was just this particular gti due to being so poorly taken care of? who knows :/

Sounds like an eff-ed up DSG mechatronics unit. Copy the VIN and take it to VW/Audi to see if the DSG is still under warranty.. If so, go back to the dealer and low-ball them like crazy by saying how it costs $xxx to make the car drivable again..

jmanhas 01-16-2012 12:19 PM

one of my friends has the 2007 Audi a3, and many things just constantly broke down. A/C broke down, consumes a huge amount of oil, front headlight ballast burnt out, third brake light never worked, bulbs dying extremely fast..it seems like theres a lot of headaches that come with that generation a3.

donjalapeno 01-16-2012 01:19 PM

tell him to get a 128i and call it a day...

better looking
straight 6
better handling
more reliable

freakshow 01-16-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfGang (Post 7763162)

better looking
straight 6
better handling
more reliable

:heckno:
I can respect the 135 and 1-Series M for being fast. But not for being good-looking.

wbean 01-16-2012 02:38 PM

and i can't respect the 128 with the garden variety engine dropped in every base model car (let's be honest ... 328 is the base norm)

135i and 1M ... yes definitely.

jpark 01-16-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfGang (Post 7763162)

better looking
straight 6
better handling
more reliable

:seriously:

idua 01-16-2012 03:55 PM

Okay. Most of the problems you guys listed audi has offered a 10year/100,000km warranty on them. Most of them have been updated and fixed if youre looking for an 06/07.

heres the list

-pcv - warrantied
-intake manifold - warrantied
cam follower/camshaft/hpfp - you can swap out the follower every 30000km and its a $50 part. but audi has offered a warranty on this too.
-radiator happens to some. very little actually.
-coil packs warrantied

the oil burning is no big deal.. 1 extra quart every 6-7k km.

the dsg is probably one of the best designed gearboxes. There is a recall on the mechatronic unit also so that is covered even if it does break. fluid change every 60000km shouldnt be a problem but if you choose to own an audi, expect to pay $800 for the change.

the worst thing that came with the 06/07 is the air compressor for the aircon. it is not warrantied and the repair is 2gs at the dealership. 1g at indy shops. the sanden unit is a fault one and has been updated by audi in the 2008.5 year a3s

interior wise is great except for a few things. tear on the driver side seat bolster and couple interior clips breaking. everything i listed are common problems.

if i was you id get the 2008.5 a3s but if youre keen on the 06/07, it is a reliable car if all the problems were worked out by the previous owner or youll be in the shop quite abit for repairs that are covered by audi atm

it all comes down to the owner and how they treat their car. you cant justify a car being unreliable if youre not putting proper maintenance on it.

donjalapeno 01-16-2012 04:13 PM

i only recommended 128i because it fits within the price range of a 06-07 audi a3...

obviously 135 would be better.

taylor192 01-16-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 7763172)
:heckno:
I can respect the 135 and 1-Series M for being fast. But not for being good-looking.

The 1-series looks like a 3-series with down syndrome. I wish they'd refresh the front end.

Lowered_Klass 01-17-2012 08:23 PM

Out of all my family members/friends... the few that have owned Audi's, have had nothing but issues. Stupid issues too. Almost always fixed under warrenty, but when you buy a 'premium' brand vehicle, you don't want it to be a piece of shit.

Having never owned one myself, I don't feel I have a right to offer a first hand opinion... having said that, nothing drives me more crazy, then driving behind an Audi with the brake lights that seem to be on, when they're not. Somtimes it's just one bulb, sometimes both.
Why is it, that it always seems to be Audi's with these weird ass electrical problems? Not just old ones either.

I think if your brother has a hard on for the A3, enjoys driving it, and knows ahead of time what he's geting into... he should get it. If he loves the car that much, he may not mind some of the issues that MIGHT plauge his car.

NLY 01-17-2012 08:43 PM

My parents bought a Q7 last year and it's been in the shop way too many times for electrical issues. Before the Q7 my mom used to drive the A3 and it was the same in terms of issues. The brake lights would go out intermittently, head lights wouldn't work. The thing went through A LOT of oil as well and when they bought it back to Audi they couldn't diagnose the problem. The only reason my parents bought the Q7 afterwards was their friend's son gave them a good deal. I told them to buy the brand new MDX but they wanted something german engineered.

If you're brother is set on the A3 I say go for it, when it ran it was a enjoyable ride with all the luxury amenities.

jpark 01-17-2012 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed (Post 7765328)
Out of all my family members/friends... the few that have owned Audi's, have had nothing but issues. Stupid issues too. Almost always fixed under warrenty, but when you buy a 'premium' brand vehicle, you don't want it to be a piece of shit.

Having never owned one myself, I don't feel I have a right to offer a first hand opinion... having said that, nothing drives me more crazy, then driving behind an Audi with the brake lights that seem to be on, when they're not. Somtimes it's just one bulb, sometimes both.
Why is it, that it always seems to be Audi's with these weird ass electrical problems? Not just old ones either.

I think if your brother has a hard on for the A3, enjoys driving it, and knows ahead of time what he's geting into... he should get it. If he loves the car that much, he may not mind some of the issues that MIGHT plauge his car.

i always wondered too what those wierd bright lights thats sometimes lit on audi's tails as well.. apparantly those are rear fog lights that goes on with the auto headlamp unit, as its mandatory for european market cars to come equipped with them. i guess they just left it the same for the NA market audi's.