REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 01-16-2012, 01:10 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

vancity > la

Planning a road trip by myself down to los angeles, this will be my first road trip ever! Any pointers/tips would be super helpful! Post your plans for a trip like this.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
tonynguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

-Make sure your car is 100% (make sure you have extra coolant, windshield washer fluid, your spare's good, you have your tire jack, your wheel lock, etc)
-Take rest breaks.. between SF and Portland, the first 50% of the route is one straight road down I5.. boring as hell.. once you get past that point ,it's fun and windy
-avoid travelling during rush hour traffic (if you think traffic in Van is bad, you haven't seen anything yet)
-keep lots of $1/$5 usd bills.. toll roads don't accept CC (I found out the hard way.. gave the guy a $20CAD bill when the toll was $8.. no change given when I was heading back along I70)
-bring lots of music! I went through all 160gb of songs on my ipod classic

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
I have driven from Van to LA about a dozen times. Take about 20-24 hours total depending on road conditions if you take the I5. The coast (101) takes a lot longer.

When are you planning on going? Now? Spring? Summer?

If you are leaving in the winter, CHECK THE CONDITIONS!! Areas around Grants Pass can be pretty brutal and sometimes you are required to have chains. During the summer is it pretty easy, but bring coolant as too_slow suggested. Sometimes after through the hot desert before up the mountains before the decent into LA, you engine can go a little haywire (you will see a lot of cars on the side of the road with coolant issues).

Are you planning on driving straight or stopping over night along the way? I can give you some ideas of where to stop and how to break it up. I know that drive very well...

If you are driving alone, I'm not sure I would suggest driving straight through...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Your title's misleading. Should have been Vancity -> LA

Thought you meant.... Vancity is better than > LA.
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynguyen View Post
Planning a road trip by myself down
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If you trying to get to LA fast, the Number 5 works, but its boring. If this trip is about the sites, take the coast.

If this is your first long drive, be prepared that driving will tire you out. The US highway system has great rest stops. Usually very clean, and many times on the 5 in specific areas manned with free coffee. Use them.

Cops in Washington and Oregon state will make a point of giving you a ticket if they can pull you over. In general, they seem to not be fond of Canadians. I suggest just sticking to the limit in both states.

In winter some of the passes can get pretty Ugly. Check road conditions.

Stock up on Redbull, lots of drinks and snacks, have a good play list to go. I’m actually a big fan of audio books for long trips. Short Steven King stories and what not really help to pass the time.

Have a clean car. Having a cluttered car drives me nuts at the best of times, but on a road trip I find it unbearable. Have stuff organized and within reach so you can just grab while still driving. Having to stop and hunt for something sucks.

I suggest bringing a can of “flat repair” goo. It’s a bitch to get a flat in some of those areas. Might save your ass in an emergency. Just to be a safety nerd, you may want to think about a few “safety” items to tuck away in your ride.

Drive safe and just enjoy it. Set your cruise, and relax. Know your route and just take your time.Its pretty amazing to watch the miles go by and watch how the land changes from Coastal forest here in Vancouver to desert in Central California.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Lots of excellent suggestions and tips. Keep them coming, folks!

My only suggestion is to take regular washroom and food breaks. Bring a jerry can of gas just to be safe. Have fun!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
You should visit dukes and bring him some beaver sashimi while you're at it

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

also, try to avoid getting into LA between 1-8pm....the traffic will want to make you blow your head off.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #10
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

i drove down to LA for NYE two years ago with two friends. fun trip!
bring shorts. in January it was close to 20+
if you want really good mexican food go to marias in san pedro. its a bit further out, but worth the drive.
avoid oakland and compton
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
dont stay in an area too central, or you'll just be fucked by traffic no matter where you wanna go.
main reason i dislike LA
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
also, try to avoid getting into LA between 1-8pm....the traffic will want to make you blow your head off.
Not necessarily true. If anything, an exaggeration.

Freeways are particularly bad as follows:

8am to 10am - going north/south on the 405 and west bound on the 10, 60, 101
5pm to 7:30pm - going north/south on the 5, 101, 405 and east bound on the 10 and 60.

Avoid the 91 Freeway between the 55 and 71 at all costs.

If you hit up the OC, try out "Brodard Vietnamese Restaurant" on Westminster and Brookhurst in Garden Grove. The food there is delicious! Also, pho in Garden Grove/Westminster can be had for usually 50% off.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-16-2012 at 08:24 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
i drove down to LA for NYE two years ago with two friends. fun trip!
bring shorts. in January it was close to 20+
if you want really good mexican food go to marias in san pedro. its a bit further out, but worth the drive.
avoid oakland and compton
Well, I lived right beside Oakland (for 6 months) and Compton (for a year) and I it is honestly not that bad. I think S300ae watches too many rap videos.

But as for driving down to LA, I've done it once and will never do it again. Then again, I've been too all the major cities between here and SoCal more than once already. If you haven't, a road trip would be fun. But you can find cheap flights to LA and be there in a couple hours.

But like most people have said already, AVOID RUSH HOURS.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
I made the drive down in summer 2007.

For the drive down I'd recommend the route along the coast. It's an extra bit longer but totally worth it with the views and all. Especially if its your first time visiting California.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #15

Great effin tips! How many tolls are there otw? How many stops did you guys take? I trying to get there as fast as possible witb minimal rest/stops! How's the cops down there? A lot of random pullovers? checks? Is this trip even recommended solo?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 01-17-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Banned By Establishment

my friend did LA to San Fran straight solo...said she wouldn't do it again. but my old boss use to drive to alone Cabo every winter (took 3 days-drive van-san diego without stopping) depending on what our plans were, i have stopped 1, 2, or 3 times on the way down. I have never gone straight though...maybe try stopping in stockton or sacramento or even redding if you are thinking about stopping. though the coast is AMAZING, i wouldn't recommend doing it alone and driving straight through...

i dont remember any tolls along the I5.

when are u leaving?
Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #17

Sometimes after the winter, don't want any trouble with mother nature.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
retired

I did the drive a few years ago around mid April. Around Mt Shasta/ Norcal, there was still snow and -2 ish. So be extra cautious in that area. The drive is very nice until you past Mt Shasta, then it's a straight line for a good 5-6 hours.

San Fran to LA wasn't so bad. Got to LA in about 5 hours from there.

CHP are everywhere though, so just remember to drive within a convoy.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote