REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Fake Apple iPad 2s made of clay sold in B.C. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661410-fake-apple-ipad-2s-made-clay-sold-b-c.html)

Gh0stRider 01-16-2012 05:11 PM

Fake Apple iPad 2s made of clay sold in B.C.

just saw this on the news

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/l...ritishColumbia

Quote:

Retail giants Future Shop and Best Buy have launched a major fraud investigation involving Apple iPad 2s, after as many as 10 fake models made of modelling clay were sold in Metro Vancouver retail stores.

Future Shop said it appears scam artists bought the popular tablet computers with cash, replaced them with bags of clay and then resealed the boxes and returned them to the store.

The fake tablets were then put back on the shelves and sold to other unsuspecting customers.

"Customers don't expect to receive this kind of product from Future Shop, so it's a very serious matter and something we are addressing right away for anyone who has been impacted," spokesperson Elliott Chun said.

Mark Sandhu thought he bought a $620 iPad 2 for his wife for Christmas, but they received a nasty surprise at the family gift opening on Christmas Eve when they realized there was no computer in the box.

Sandhu said initially his wife Sundeep thought the clay, flattened into the shape of an iPad and housed inside a Ziploc baggie, was actually a protective layer over their new pricey present.

"My wife was excited when she saw this, [saying] ‘oh my God they take care of their stuff,' and then we saw this …and that kind of threw us off a little," Sandhu said, adding that there was also a clay cube where the charger should be in the box.

"I was shocked. I did not expect this from Future Shop. When you purchase something from there you expect the product to be there," he said.

Worried that other consumers were at risk, Sandhu brought the fake product back to the downtown Vancouver location on Boxing Day. But he said he was treated like a criminal by the female manager.

"Maybe the way I was dressed, I don't know," he said. "She made me feel like I'm trying to scam them out of $700. I was the one getting scammed."

Sandhu said he contacted Future Shop head office, Apple and even local police but no one would listen to his story.

It was only after he contacted CTV's Steele on Your Side that Sandhu received a response from the company.

Future Shop said the Surrey man was not the only B.C. consumer who had been ripped off. The company is investigating up to 10 similar cases in Metro Vancouver at Future Shop and Best Buy locations.

Chun would not say which stores the fake devices were sold from. He also would not touch the fake iPad during the CTV interview on the advice of the store lawyer, who warned about leaving fingerprints.

"It really saddens Future Shop to know that people stoop to this type of level to be opportunistic and make money in this sort of organized way," said Chun, who said the company first learned about the fakes in early January.

Sandhu said he's learned a tough lesson, and will never leave a store without opening the package to see what's inside.

"I know better from now on. I don't care what I purchase -- I'm not going back to Future Shop, that's for sure," he said.

Sandhu and his wife have received an apology from the company plus a full refund. They also received a new iPad 2 as compensation for their troubles.

murd0c 01-16-2012 05:15 PM

Old news this was talked about on RS a couple weeks back:fuckthatshit:

carisear 01-16-2012 05:19 PM

please post link to original source. thanks!

Jegz 01-16-2012 05:23 PM

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ld...9a2wo1_500.png

donjalapeno 01-16-2012 05:27 PM

i hate how they call ipad's "computers"

JesseBlue 01-16-2012 05:28 PM

^ i dont think it was funny...

murd0c 01-16-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carisear (Post 7763463)
please post link to original source. thanks!

If you are talking about it on RS post 34 Jan9th

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66095...s-empty-2.html

TheKingdom2000 01-16-2012 05:28 PM

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ImageShrin...13.jpg,470,264

Jegz 01-16-2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesseBlue (Post 7763480)
^ i dont think it was funny...

Its fucking hilarious

twitchyzero 01-16-2012 05:56 PM

is it just sticker seal on hard paper cardboard? i'm surprised $500+ products like these don't have security seals....but shit you can probably duplicate/find fake ones online for that too

it's really sad no one believed their story to begin with...but serves the wife for being stupid for thinking clay is part of the packaging LOL

tiger_handheld 01-16-2012 06:04 PM

I thought FS/BB any "big box" store would open before returning to ensure all contents were there.

hongy 01-16-2012 06:10 PM

I don't think they open if the product is still sealed.

ziggyx 01-16-2012 06:15 PM

I once paid for an xbox elite but when I opened the box I got the regular xbox..I was pretty choked. Luckily the manager at the Best Buy let me exchange it. It might have something to do with the serial number on the xbox being scanned and put on the receipt which allowed them to believe that I wasn't scamming them, but I'm not completely sure?

Anyway, lesson learned, I never leave the store until I open the box to make sure everything is good now.

tonyvu 01-16-2012 08:29 PM

My friend works for apple and he says people return Ipads made of clay..... it was wierd

ImportPsycho 01-16-2012 08:30 PM

so people who bought real ipad2 can go out get some clays and claim they've been scammed?

jeedee 01-16-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImportPsycho (Post 7763795)
so people who bought real ipad2 can go out get some clays and claim they've been scammed?

Well, they have to be able to get shrink wrapping aswell.

Please don't tell me you're going to claim you got scammed lol

ImportPsycho 01-16-2012 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 7763815)

BB/FS better pull all their stock off the floor.
Tomorrow, people are going to go buy ipad2 and stop by Michaels store on their way ROFL

BaoTurbo 01-16-2012 09:04 PM

Shrink wrap is easy to get access to and since it's sealed, you're not going to open it, check it, and then seal it back up.

I used to work for a video card company that puts their cards on Best buy and Future Shop shelves, and well when people return things for warranty and such, sometimes it's not really what it seems or you end up with extras like screwdrivers, adapters, and other retarded things people put back in it. By far, Future Shop has the highest video card return rate and I can probably guess they lose big bucks for not checking things enough.

Mr.C 01-16-2012 09:42 PM

I believe they were returned sealed. No suspicion. Oops.

Mr.HappySilp 01-16-2012 09:46 PM

I guess thats why u buy it from apply store coz at least they will update it to the latest firemware while u are there. So if it is fake you can exchange for a new one lol.

It was funny I got an ipad2 cover from FS and went to refund it a few days later. The lady at the cashier was checking it for like 5mins to make sure there are no stratches or anything @@.

donjalapeno 01-16-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 7763815)

:pokerface:

no.....of....course.....not

cococly 01-16-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7763535)
I thought FS/BB any "big box" store would open before returning to ensure all contents were there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hongy (Post 7763542)
I don't think they open if the product is still sealed.

I work for FutureShop. We started to check every Apple product before accepting the returns, especially on those who paid cash.

ForbiddenX 01-16-2012 10:58 PM

When I was working at bestbuy, a customer bought a Macbook Pro and came back to te store because when he opened it, it was one of those 500 pack sheets of paper. They replaced it for him since they could tell he wasn't bsing.

jeedee 01-16-2012 11:00 PM

How could they tell he wasn't bsing? :suspicious:

subordinate 01-16-2012 11:19 PM

nvm, read wrong.