REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Importing a car.....kinda?

i have a friend that owns a 2003 acura rsx. he bought it in vancouver bc but he was relocated to work in seattle. so he had his car registered into the US. now that he bought a new car, he wanted to sell his car to me. the question is, do either of us have to pay tax on it? i noe u need to pay taxes for it if its car bought in the US, but his car was bought in canada.
Advertisement
hondak20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Its my understanding that you have to pay tax on it regardless if your buying the car from the U.S. or in Canada; I think you might mean do you have to pay a duty on it at the border??? Unfortunately in regards to the duty I do not know, maybe ask your insurance agent if they have more info on the process.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
Its my understanding that you have to pay tax on it regardless if your buying the car from the U.S. or in Canada; I think you might mean do you have to pay a duty on it at the border??? Unfortunately in regards to the duty I do not know, maybe ask your insurance agent if they have more info on the process.
ill talk to my insurance agent. thanks
hondak20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

If it was exported out of Canada and imported into US , then it is considered a US vehicle. When you want the car back into Canada, you will have to follow the same instructions as here: Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Now, there will be GST on the vehicle plus other fees. BUT in regards to duty, that depends on the heading of the VIN number, if it is a number then the car falls into the NAFTA agreement for duty free. Which will save you 6.1%.
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote