REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Crossfit Workouts and Techniques (https://www.revscene.net/forums/661644-crossfit-workouts-techniques.html)

Vancouver240sx 01-20-2012 02:18 PM

Crossfit Workouts and Techniques

Hey Guys,

I'm new to this section, definitely learned a lot, but been mostly a lurker. Lately crossfit workouts have captured my attention and I've been working on them at my gym. Going to be taking 5 classes at a local crossfit gym starting February to try it out.

Thought I'd start up a thread for people who wanted to share crossfit workouts, techniques, experiences, workouts ect ect.

Here are some videos of workouts or techniques I've found, that I enjoy:

There are plenty more!

rich

DC5-S 01-20-2012 02:19 PM

I'm not going to watch ANY of those videos! Crossfit SUCKS.. I'm boycotting this thread
Posted via RS Mobile

Vancouver240sx 01-20-2012 04:32 PM

Hahaha great 1st comment. Any reason why crossfit "SUCKS"? I'm kinda new to it, still learning. If you have some reason as to why it isn't good I'd love to hear it.

rich

hal0g0dv2 01-20-2012 04:55 PM

http://i44.tinypic.com/20s8war.gif

DaFonz 01-20-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx (Post 7768968)
Hahaha great 1st comment. Any reason why crossfit "SUCKS"? I'm kinda new to it, still learning. If you have some reason as to why it isn't good I'd love to hear it.

rich

Because it's not a workout, it's an extreme sport where the mentality is no pain, no gain at all costs.

Here's why I think Crossfit is retarded:

- You do olympic lifts for speed. Heavy olympic lifts for speed. Oly lifts are hard enough to do with good technique by themselves; you throw in a speed component and you're asking to get hurt
- Ask yourself why crossfit exercises standardize on a single weight regardless of how much you weigh. Look at the WOD as an example. How do they come up with the weights? They're completely arbitrary
- To get "certified" in crossfit, you can take a weekend course and TADA, you suddenly know about crossfit.
- They're of the mindset that if you can't do a WOD, then you aren't tough and shouldn't do crossfit and that there are absolutely no other ways other than to do met-con shit.
- Crossfit doesn't make you strong. At least not as quickly as a good progressive program will.

Also, see this site:
Crossfit: The White Papers

tl;dr: Crossfit is for retards.

Vancouver240sx 01-20-2012 08:12 PM

Interesting stuff!

For the most part I've enjoyed it because of the muscle endurance aspect. I recently joined a soccer team and pushing hard with a crossfit style workout does kinda simulate the pressure you put on yourself physically with a 90 mins game.

You definitely make some good points about the weights and poor technique you see out there.

But there has to be a balance. Lets say for example the 3rd video I posted "Crossfit - Workout From Hell". That I could see being a great benchmark workout for anyone as it doesn't use much weight at all and its mostly mental by the end.

Then for other days of the week you could continue a more standard 'program' as you called it.

rich

Excelsis 01-20-2012 08:26 PM

do yourself a favor and join an Olympic weightlifting club to show you how to weightlift properly

crossfit = reps > form :heckno:

it's only a matter of time before you seriously injure yourself
Posted via RS Mobile

DaFonz 01-21-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx (Post 7769153)
Interesting stuff!

For the most part I've enjoyed it because of the muscle endurance aspect. I recently joined a soccer team and pushing hard with a crossfit style workout does kinda simulate the pressure you put on yourself physically with a 90 mins game.

You definitely make some good points about the weights and poor technique you see out there.

But there has to be a balance. Lets say for example the 3rd video I posted "Crossfit - Workout From Hell". That I could see being a great benchmark workout for anyone as it doesn't use much weight at all and its mostly mental by the end.

Then for other days of the week you could continue a more standard 'program' as you called it.

rich

Ok, here's a question - why would I want to do a benchmark workout?

If I was training for aesthetics, then I'd want to lift weights and wouldn't care about my score on an arbitrary crossfit "workout".
If I was training for a specific sport, I'd substitute a workout that's more applicable. For example, if I was to train for soccer, I'd lift weights and run intervals. Running > Workout from Hell in a soccer context.

Crossfit is a niche sport at best.

Oh and Crossfit SUCKS

vcrbmw 01-21-2012 09:01 AM

Agreed with a lot of the comments here. I did Crossfit for a year.

Having stated that, if you are going to do Crossfit, I would recommend Crossfit Overdrive in Richmond. Unlike a lot of Crossfit boxes, the coaches there are very strict with regards to technique.

sas 01-21-2012 09:18 AM

Typical Crossfitter:

Learns how to power snatch in 2 days: thinks he is an olympic champion
Learns how to box squat: Now an elite powerlifter
Throws some tires lift an atlas stone: Strongman

Here's my advice if you must do crossfit:

Avoid oly lifts or other big compound lifts if you are tired (mentally and physically). There are much better ways you can achieve your goals without having to resort to crossfit. No one cares that you did 100 reps of sloppy cleans after your swinging pull ups.

Friends don't let friends do crossfit, remember that..

Stealthy 01-21-2012 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx (Post 7768968)

rich

http://i.imgur.com/Kqctx.gif

brb this is considered functional strength

Form is not important, as long as you get the weight up.

sas 01-21-2012 04:57 PM

moar crossfit gifs!!
Posted via RS Mobile

lowside67 01-21-2012 05:00 PM

More videos of Kristy doing pullups...

jeffh 01-21-2012 07:09 PM

where was someone doing pullups? i see alot of seizures going on in this thread

RRxtar 01-21-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 7769582)

forget the guy in the front, look at the guy in the back at the end!

:heckno:

woob 01-22-2012 01:37 PM

bad form videos reminded me of this:

spideyv2 01-24-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 7770687)
bad form videos reminded me of this:

1000 pushups in 21:50. World Record- part 2 - YouTube

Looks like hes doing the worm
Posted via RS Mobile

SkinnyPupp 01-24-2012 07:25 PM

btw as retarded as crossfit is, I wouldn't automatically shit on people who do it. There are some good trainers out there. My friend's wife is an olympic lifter and trains crossfit, and she is pretty smart when it comes to lifting and diet. However she does endorse kipping pullups so... :badpokerface: we got into a big argument about that

Excelsis 01-24-2012 07:29 PM

i'm all for crossfit if they promote say form is more important than how many reps you do, if not well then... and teach people who do crossfit to not have gey attitudes and ego freaks

Vancouver240sx 01-24-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 7769563)
Ok, here's a question - why would I want to do a benchmark workout?

I believe having benchmark workouts are good to keep track of improvement and setting goals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFonz (Post 7769563)
If I was training for a specific sport, I'd substitute a workout that's more applicable. For example, if I was to train for soccer, I'd lift weights and run intervals. Running > Workout from Hell in a soccer context.

Im sorry I don't agree that just weights and running are enough to train for a 90 minute soccer game in mid field. The last 20 mins of the game are not an exercise in your physical abilities but they are mental. Crossfit workouts are the only ones I've ever done where I have to push myself mentally to complete them.

I am very interested in this discussion, and without a doubt agree with some negative points people have made. But this issue of form kinda bugs me because it is UP to you to seek out the correct form. So if YOU are personally really worried about it (like I am), you'll do everything to strive to do it right.

Rich

PS. SkinnyPupp I just think they should change the name of "Kipping pullups" to something else. It is a different exercise I believe. The kip ups are more about getting your hear rate going. imho

SkinnyPupp 01-24-2012 11:22 PM

Whatever you want to call them, they are pointless. And I've had someone tell me they are more difficult than hanging pullups :fulloffuck:
Posted via RS Mobile

xilley 01-24-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealthy (Post 7769952)

Wtf?
is that actually 45 plates x3 on each side?
plus the 45 lb bar?

DaFonz 01-25-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx (Post 7773847)
I believe having benchmark workouts are good to keep track of improvement and setting goals.

Im sorry I don't agree that just weights and running are enough to train for a 90 minute soccer game in mid field. The last 20 mins of the game are not an exercise in your physical abilities but they are mental. Crossfit workouts are the only ones I've ever done where I have to push myself mentally to complete them.

I am very interested in this discussion, and without a doubt agree with some negative points people have made. But this issue of form kinda bugs me because it is UP to you to seek out the correct form. So if YOU are personally really worried about it (like I am), you'll do everything to strive to do it right.

Rich

PS. SkinnyPupp I just think they should change the name of "Kipping pullups" to something else. It is a different exercise I believe. The kip ups are more about getting your hear rate going. imho

But those workouts have absolutely no carry over to what you're training for. Again, I go back to my original point:
- If you're training for a specific sport, then do sport specific benchmarks. If I was training to be a sprinter, I'd care about how fast I could run, not the time I could do a workout in.
- If I was lifting, then my weights would be my benchmark.

If you can't push yourself mentally then it's a function of your own mental toughness, not a function of crossfit workouts. Example - you telling me that running 20 x 100m with 1 minute breaks isn't a challenge mentally?

The form thing is one, but Crossfit workouts and the general attitude of no pain, no gain lead to injuries when doing things like boxjumps as quickly as possible. What's more, the programming makes NO SENSE. Crossfit (last I checked, I may be wrong) completely does away with the idea of periodization and training cycles believing that you can push yourself all the time.

If crossfit was so great, why isn't it a common training regime for olympic athletes?

I maintain my position that crossfit is retarded.

jeffh 01-25-2012 08:54 AM

^lol no, thats those rubber weights. not sure how much each weighs

Excelsis 01-25-2012 09:26 AM

another about crossfit.. you're mostly training for endurance

I just saw a video of Dana Bailey doing 20x bench, 20x squats, and as many cleans as possible, rest for 2 minutes and all over

goodbye muscle :fuckthatshit:
Posted via RS Mobile