REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #26
Yc
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

as long as the 3 witnesses you have give the same story; you should be fine
Advertisement
I let one rip once, and i pulled the covers over the girl, it was funny. she stopped moving, and when i lifted the covers i had to send her to the hospital.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...hreadid=462576
Yc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
You asked a question, were advised that rs is not the best place to get legal advice, and now you are disputing the answers you don't want to agree with.

Logically, yes you are correct. It was that girls fault. But unfortunately, what counts is how ICBC deals with things. And its their precedent to give you fault.

Lawyer up, and start working on your dispute.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #28
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
You asked a question, were advised that rs is not the best place to get legal advice, and now you are disputing the answers you don't want to agree with.

Logically, yes you are correct. It was that girls fault. But unfortunately, what counts is how ICBC deals with things. And its their precedent to give you fault.

Lawyer up, and start working on your dispute.
Posted via RS Mobile
I guess I'm disputing it because I am angry at the situation/circumstances and that I think the system ICBC uses is bullshit from what the members here are saying. (About how its always 100% the left turner's fault no matter what situation no questions asked, etc)

Thanks anyways.
Xamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 AM   #29
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

it is usually the person who turns left is at fault, however, ICBC will assess where the damage to the car is to be a determining factor of % of fault for each driver

ie. I can't see how the person who turns left is at 100% fault if his quarter panel/rear bumper was damaged

witnessess will be towards your advantage if they can backup your story too, was there any red light cameras?
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 AM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
So many of these threads made wow.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66047...-accident.html

That thread is similar to your situation but not the same.

This thread is the same situation as you I believe. The left turner was NOT found at fault here, the driver who tboned his car ran a red light as well. The driver who ran the red was found 100% at fault. Though in this situation I think there was a video given to ICBC where it showed the driver running the red.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65627...-boundary.html

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #31
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
So many of these threads made wow.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/66047...-accident.html

That thread is similar to your situation but not the same.

This thread is the same situation as you I believe. The left turner was NOT found at fault here, the driver who tboned his car ran a red light as well. The driver who ran the red was found 100% at fault. Though in this situation I think there was a video given to ICBC where it showed the driver running the red.
http://www.revscene.net/forums/65627...-boundary.html

Thanks, I'll read both threads.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

You are at fault.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #33
Rs has made me the man i am today!

id hate to say this, but my friend was in the same situation a little over a year ago, and to make it worse, the guy who hit him was drinking, but ICBC still said he was mostly at fault, and they didn't take much into account that the other guy was drunk, pretty shitty deal, and my friend has to go to court as a witness against the other guy.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

This is exactly what happened to me (except I was the person going through and I SWEAR it was barely yellow).

The guy found a "witness" like a month after the accident that said I ran the red light. We hit basically head on because he started going when I was already in the intersection and it was still 100% my fault. So if you have people that say it was red for the other car and you were hit towards the rear of the car, I would find it impossible that it is at any part your fault.

PM me and I can give you more details, you should be fine.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #35
PRINCESS

Remember the ferrari left turner incident not too long ago and one of the rs members had the accident recorded? Ferrari dude had same issue and it ended up being 100% red light gunner's fault so no its not always left turner's fault. As long as your witnesses give same story about gunning down red youre fine or less at fault
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #36
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Same thing happened to me 10 years ago, waiting to turn left and it was dark and rainy. Waited til it was safe, the light turned red, all the oncoming cars were slowing down, and then one asshole guns it and smokes me and spins the car around ($5000+ damage). Was a young kid then and didn't think to see if I could grab any witnesses. He supposedly had a witness but of course I was fucked either way. Found 100% at fault and paid for it on my insurance for many years. Good luck to you since you have witnesses.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #37
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

ICBC | left-turn.pdf
vixroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 AM   #38
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

A frd of mine was in the same incident about 5 years ago, she was in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left. She waited until the light to turn completely red before she started to turn. A car ran the red and hit her around the passenger side head light, 911 was called and there were more than 3 witnesses saying the other car ran a complete red and was going way too fast. The other driver was found at fault.
fishCak3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #39
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeintaiwan View Post
A frd of mine was in the same incident about 5 years ago, she was in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left. She waited until the light to turn completely red before she started to turn. A car ran the red and hit her around the passenger side head light, 911 was called and there were more than 3 witnesses saying the other car ran a complete red and was going way too fast. The other driver was found at fault.
See?! Thank you! Thats my EXACT same situation, my passenger door was hit, witnesses saw she ran the red, i turned on red and was 80% complete my turn.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 AM   #40
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xamount View Post
See?! Thank you! Thats my EXACT same situation, my passenger door was hit, witnesses saw she ran the red, i turned on red and was 80% complete my turn.
So did you get your witnesses contact? It can't be the ones in your car.
Posted via RS Mobile
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 AM   #41
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
So did you get your witnesses contact? It can't be the ones in your car.
Posted via RS Mobile
Ya she was on the side in a totally different car that saw the whole scene happen, she went over and game me her contact info to use as a witness right after the crash.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Actually one of my buddy have the same incident. Icbc ruled that it was the one who ran the red at fault. But that depend on where the impact is at. He got hit close to the rear side. But if you have witness then i think you should be ok.
striderblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #43
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Quote:
already halfway into my left turn and T-bones my passenger door.
ICBC will prolly rules this as 50-50 coz its near the center of your car..

Quote:
No air bags were deployed, but I received whiplash, and what the family physician said "lumbosome spine" (cant read it)
For this, go see doctor and then talk with a lawyer and sue them (privately) for damages if its serious
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #44
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ICBC Plaintiff Lawyer here.

In many/most cases, the vehicle making the left turn is the one liable for the accident. The reason for that is, the left-turning vehicle is in a 'servient' position, and the straight-driving vehicle is in the dominant position.

All things considered, it is the servient vehicle that moves into the path of the straight vehicle, and so you have to take extra care to ensure the path is safe before proceeding. For example, just because a light flips from green to yellow doesn't mean you can just make your turn. Not that I'm saying you did that, just an example.

But in cases where the court is satisfied that the straight-driving vehicle did in fact run a red and in an unsafe and unexpected manner, he or she can be found liable for the accident.

In a nutshell, the deck is stacked against you, but if you can provide sufficient evidence to convince the court that the straight-driving car ran a red, you might be ok.

This is not legal advice, though. Go find a lawyer.

Also, here is a case I found in a quick search. It's not the best case, since it's Provincial Court, not Supreme, and it's a bit old, but whatever. It gives a decent summary of the law.

CanLII - 2001 BCPC 171 (CanLII)
Majestic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: