REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 01-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

NEED ADVICE!! 2005 VW GLI

hey guys I've had a couple issues before with my prelude and got tons of support so I'm hoping I can get some advice from you guys!

I came back from vacation, I hadn't driven my car in about 3 weeks and I finally got to take it out today. I drove it for about half an hour and out of nowhere I saw the light for my battery come on and I lost my power steering and my brakes stopped working. I quickly pulled over to the side of the road and shut the car off. Tried turning on again after a couple mins and it wouldn't turn on. I got it towed to a buddy's mechanic shop and he told me that the timing belts ripped and most likely I'll need a new engine.

He said that he's not sure if the VW has an interference engine or a non-interference engine, and that if it's non-interference I may not have to replace the whole engine.

I was wondering if anyone here has had any sort of experience with this? What my options are? and where I'd be able to get a good deal on a new motor if I'd have to buy one?

It's a 2005 VW Jetta GLI 6-speed and has 127xxx km on it.

Any advice would be appreciated!! THANKS
Advertisement
no_limit187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Go to www.vwdov.ca
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
^
They don't exist anymore.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Oops I meant dubberz

http://dubberz.com/

There are plenty of VW service people and parts people on there. one of the Admin there.. Germanstyle, his family owns a shop that imports and rebuild cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
^
They don't exist anymore.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

During the ~127,000kms did you ever change the timing belt? The 2.0Ts are high-interference, like pretty much every modern engine.
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote