REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #51
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos_skeeto View Post
I'm very curious about the pro's and con's of an 8 speed automatic. I know some expensive luxury cars have it but you don't see it in more affordable cars. Is this a good thing?
If I were buying a new coupe, I would get the manual. Doesn't matter if the 8-speed auto saves fuel, is more efficient, and features a dual clutch as even modern automatics still fail within 5 years.

Manuals on coupes have a higher resale value because your market in 5-8 years time will be cheap enthusiasts (like me) who all drive manuals. If you're buying a coupe and you're an enthusiast, always buy the manual when the option is available.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:08 AM   #52
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Build and price for the genesis is out on the website!! Seriously considering picking up one. Currently looking at the Premium model.. just under 30K. Still want to wait and see whats the pricing for the frs and brz first.

http://www.hyundaicanada.com/Pages/b...ENESIS%20COUPE
change model yr to 2013

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold

Last edited by gilly; 03-12-2012 at 08:32 AM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #53
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
That's kind of neat. I'm not a big fan of the car but its alright I guess.
But damn! Those are some wicked photos! I Wanna shoot more photos of cars! rawr!

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #54
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
Build and price for the genesis is out on the website!! Seriously considering picking up one. Currently looking at the Premium model.. just under 30K. Still want to wait and see whats the pricing for the frs and brz first.

Hyundai Build and Price a Genesis Coupe
change model yr to 2013
wtf, you'd give up the R-Spec brembos and LSD just for some leather seats?!

for shame.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #55
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Luxury vs performance. Someone getting it as a DD may prefer a satnav, better sound system, sunroof and leather while someone taking it to a track might want the LSD and brakes. Nice of Hyundai to cover both aspects. I test drove a 2012 2.0t on the weekend. Drove very nicely but it didn't feel that fast. Might take the new one for a spin when it comes out to compare.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
I can always install the brembo brakes afterwards. Too bad Hyundai doesn't offer leather seats and nav with LSD and brembo in one trim level.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #57
dL
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Let's see:

- Far less colour options than before (including 2012 too)
- No HID unless 3.8 at 37k. Many cars come with HID even at 20k. Easy fix however.
- No LED DRL's unless 3.8 at 37k. Not even an option for the 2.0T. Not a deal breaker, but at least offer that for the top trim of 2.0.
- If one wants Brembo and LSD and also want the nav or upgraded speakers, they have to get the 3.8 at 37k.
- $4000 difference starting price between 2012 3.8 and 2013 3.8, despite the new engine being faster. $4000 is quite a bit to swallow and attract.

I seriously think the new offerings are less attractive, especially with their new face in the front. If I was to get one, I'd rather get the 2012 and use the saved money to modify it.

If they offered the new engine at nearly the same price as the 2012 then I think it'll sell like hotcakes despite the front, although 270hp at 26k is still pretty attractive.

dL
Old 03-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #58
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
They still didn't change window control buttons!

fuuuu opening and closing windows feels so damn awkward

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #59
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

R-Spec hands down - best bang for buck
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #60
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

They need to go into a stock Hana style front bumper & put in the Supercharged Tau into it already.
RMR did the Tau swap for the 2011 Sema back in October. What i would do for that...!!!

Last edited by iwbtib; 03-20-2012 at 04:33 PM.
iwbtib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #61
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
test driving both the 3.8 and the 2.0 tonight, will report back on what i think!

initial thoughts though - it really sucks that they took away the GT on the 2.0T. that used to contain both luxury options (with things like infinity sound system, HID's, etc) as well as performance options (brembos, LSD, suspension, etc). now, at least on the 2.0, you get either technological options on the premium or performance options on the RSpec

my guess as to why they did this is to boost 3.8 sales. the only way you can get luxury and performance now is in the 3.8GT. i guess they didn't sell as many 3.8 units in canada last year as they wanted to

also, rest in peace to the 2 tone red/black interior
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #62
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilley View Post

looks like a frickin viper+Gtr

hahaha you drunk?
T2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #63
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
The first generation Genesis Coupe's front end was already pushing it for me, but this is just going too far.

I simply cannot accept the fact that I'm investing in a vehicle that is all go no show, in my opinion at least. I'd rather grab a V6 Mustang lol.

EDIT: With that being said, I probably wouldn't mind owning something clean like this.

Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #64
【=◈︿◈=】

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
test driving both the 3.8 and the 2.0 tonight, will report back on what i think!

initial thoughts though - it really sucks that they took away the GT on the 2.0T. that used to contain both luxury options (with things like infinity sound system, HID's, etc) as well as performance options (brembos, LSD, suspension, etc). now, at least on the 2.0, you get either technological options on the premium or performance options on the RSpec

my guess as to why they did this is to boost 3.8 sales. the only way you can get luxury and performance now is in the 3.8GT. i guess they didn't sell as many 3.8 units in canada last year as they wanted to

also, rest in peace to the 2 tone red/black interior
just got home, here's my review on both the 2.0T Premium in 6spd MT and 3.8GT in 8spd AT. keep in mind i'm not being biased towards having a first gen genesis. this is MY honest review with no bias towards my own car whatsoever, and is my opinion also

Interior:
amazing. they really took consumer critique to heart. the leather all around, including the steering wheel, no longer has a plasticky feel to it. instead it feels like top notch leather, supple and..well leathery. gauge cluster with the electronic display is a nice new feature too, and the center console with the addition of the 3 gauges looks very good. that and the seatbelt for the passenger now has an assist hook thing to it so it's no longer a PITA for the passenger to grab the seatbelt. they also decided to go with less colours in the interior - less chrome, and the tan headliner and A+C pillars are now all black. icing on the cake - the LED doorsills on the 3.8 made the interior an A for me. no A+ because the rear is still terrible in terms of headroom, but to fix that they would've had to change the lines of the car

Exterior:
thought it would grow on me upon seeing it in person. it didn't, at all. the front looks squished when looking at it straight on, just like in photos. the rear isn't as nice as i thought it would be, but the tails definitely look better than the first gen oem tails. the LED DRL's are a nice feature, but overall it was pretty bad. that's just my opinion on it though, some love it, most hate it. C+

now for the important part: engine. 2.0T first
i went with a friend, and both him and i agreed - the engine felt way too refined. we tried numerous pulls, rolling and stand still pulls. no matter what we did, we didn't get pushed back into our seats - something that happened in my car right off the lot, despite the 2013 pushing 60hp more. it pulls harder but it doesn't feel raw at all. in other words, you can feel the power, but you can't FEEL the power. both my friend and i agreed, for a car enthusiast, the first gen was, despite not being the faster engine, the better engine. however if you want speed, then by all means the 2013 will give you that. B

didn't get the chance to try out a manual one, and maybe that's for the better since we did get to try out the 8speed auto. as in the previous gen, lots of fun. pulled hard and pulled quick. i havn't driven a first gen 3.8 in ages, but it is exactly as i remember it to be, with added oomph from the extra ~50 hp. for some reason it kept on shifting itself from 3->4th at about 6k rpm, something that didn't happen in any other gear. not too sure why that is, but because of that, B+. i didn't get to play around with the 3.8 as much as i did with the 2.0 either so my take on the 3.8 isn't as thorough as it could be but it's as close as i could get it

hope this helps with any potential buyers!
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 09:14 PM   #65
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
just got home, here's my review on both the 2.0T Premium in 6spd MT and 3.8GT in 8spd AT. keep in mind i'm not being biased towards having a first gen genesis. this is MY honest review with no bias towards my own car whatsoever, and is m..... for some reason it kept on shifting itself from 3->4th at about 6k rpm, something that didn't happen in any other gear. not too sure why that is, but because of that, B+. i didn't get to play around with the 3.8 as much as i did with the 2.0 either so my take on the 3.8 isn't as thorough as it could be but it's as close as i could get it

hope this helps with any potential buyers!
Your review could do much better without the grading system. And this totally doesn't help any potential buyer unless they have driven the previous model.
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #66
【=◈︿◈=】

^ how do you suggest i rate it then?

and good point actually. but i couldn't compare it to anything else so i compared it to my car. also i didn't really compare the 2 cars too much because you can still take a lot from it minus the comparisons. ie the fact that the 2.0 doesn't feel raw and the 3.8 still pulls like a motherfucker

and my review was mostly geared for the gencoupe forum but i decided i'd toss it onto here because how hard is it to copy and paste. i didn't go out to hyundai with the goal to write a review, i went out to try out the new gc. i'm not an automotive magazine reviewer so take from it what you will. if it's nothing, then move on and look at real reviews
Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #67
is best wrench

Thanked 1,208 Times in 272 Posts

This video sums up a lot of things. I agree with almost everything this guy says
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #68
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

kt covered a lot, there's not much that I can add.

I have nowhere near as much time as he does behind the wheel of a Genesis, but I'll throw in my $0.02.

Interior:
Nearly all of the little quirks I had with the first generation have been addressed, save for a few. The button to open the boot is awkward for me to reach, maybe because I'm so tall. The position of the power window switches hasn't changed and, as somebody else already mentioned, is a bit of an annoyance. I'm not sure if it's changed from the first generation or not, but both the driver and passenger side windows are auto-up and down with the two-stage switches. Lovely convenience. The seats are now half-powered. There's a rocker-switch to electronically slide, raise, and tilt the seats, but the seat-back reclining is still controlled by a conventional mechanical handle. It does, however, make for faster adjustments and doesn't have huge cogs limiting the possible angles. Much nicer materials used inside, also. The handbrake lever is wrapped in what seems to be a fine leather, as is the steering wheel.
I didn't like the fact that the paddle shifters in the auto were mounted on the steering wheel itself and not the steering column. I know different cars do them both ways but I, personally, prefer them on the column. There was considerably little space between the signal/wiper levers and the paddles which made me hit the wipers and signals a few times. Then again, that could just be my big hands.

Exterior:
Yuck, still. In the corner of my eye, it looks decent, but the front still reminds me of a squished pig snout when I take a good look at it. The rear tails protrude from the sides; we both didn't like that too much. There's not much else to say, otherwise.

Performance:
3.8 GT
It was my first time driving a 3.8... I was pleasantly surprised. There's lots of power on tap with the 348 horses, that's for sure. The automatic shifting while in paddle-shift-mode also happened between gears 2 and 3 for me; I think it automatically up-shifts to avoid bouncing off the rev-limiter.

2.0T
Like kt said, disappointing in a strange way. It felt very tamed and boring in spite of the increase in power. It was smooth and missed the feeling of crude power that the 3.8 delivered. Maybe I'm spoiled by the fact that I ride a sportbike lol

Last edited by BillyBishop; 03-21-2012 at 11:47 AM.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 AM   #69
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
now for the important part: engine. 2.0T first
i went with a friend, and both him and i agreed - the engine felt way too refined. we tried numerous pulls, rolling and stand still pulls. no matter what we did, we didn't get pushed back into our seats - something that happened in my car right off the lot, despite the 2013 pushing 60hp more. it pulls harder but it doesn't feel raw at all. in other words, you can feel the power, but you can't FEEL the power. both my friend and i agreed, for a car enthusiast, the first gen was, despite not being the faster engine, the better engine. however if you want speed, then by all means the 2013 will give you that. B
Would you consider the old 2.0T a bit laggy? When the turbo spools up, then you get your kickback/push.

Personally, I prefer a more linear power delivery when stomping on it. Not a fan of the "wait for it, wait for it, there it is" power delivery.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #70
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
This is especially apparent on the Sonata, not as bad on other models.

thats the hybrid

the sonata looks like this

Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #71
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^that was already brought up a bit lower on page 2.

Quote:
^Yes I know that's the hybrid. I borrowed the picture that was posted from above. I don't recall seeing the whale-shark gaping mouths on other hybrids though, so while their may be a functional component to the Sonata Hybrid's mouth, a significant component of that styling is with Hyundai wanting a 'familiar face' through their lineup.
The pic you posted of the regular Sonata looks like this, not really angry just trying to be:
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #72
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
i much perfer the face of kia
[IMG][/IMG]
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #73
【=◈︿◈=】

^ that's because you own the car you hoe

Quote:
Would you consider the old 2.0T a bit laggy? When the turbo spools up, then you get your kickback/push.

Personally, I prefer a more linear power delivery when stomping on it. Not a fan of the "wait for it, wait for it, there it is" power delivery.
absolutely. both models have turbo lag from the factory. i'd have to say less on the old 2.0T though, but i cannot tell you that with 100% certainty as the mods i have done to the car have eliminated much of the turbo lag so i can't recall how bad the turbo lag was right off the lot

you can feel exactly when the turbo begins to spool in the 2013, but it still lacks the kickback/push

and since you're more a fan of straight power delivery when hammering the pedal, then the 3.8 is for you. matter of fact, n/a > turbo for you. the 3.8 is just that, straight power directly to the wheels as soon as you touch the pedal

Last edited by - kT; 03-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #74
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Then you drop, paint the grill & rims & nightshade the tails...

But back 2 the topic at hand, I wanna see some track times! Those extra ponies must be driving down qm times.

Quote:
and since you're more a fan of straight power delivery when hammering the pedal, then the 3.8 is for you. matter of fact, n/a > turbo for you. the 3.8 is just that, straight power directly to the wheels as soon as you touch the pedal
This is why i absolutely love my roots blower ^_^
iwbtib is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: