REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   snowboard starter gear? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662241-snowboard-starter-gear.html)

helphelp911 01-30-2012 09:34 PM

snowboard starter gear?

Hi,

can someone please tell me where i can get some cheap (new or used) snowboard gear? i went to sportchek and they are too expensive for me. i am very new so i want to get some gear so i can try out snowboard first

thanks

LookHere_Sucka 01-30-2012 09:44 PM

The Boardroom on West 4th avenue

edit: not sure if the discount store still exists but still a good place to check out

Iceman-19 01-30-2012 09:44 PM

The Board Room in north van has a clearance center in the bottom of the store. You could check the for sale section on this site, or craigslist, kijiji, etc.

Neva 01-30-2012 10:02 PM

if sportchek/mart still have their 'bring in your old shit for half price new shit' promotion going on ask a buddy for a busted up POS board and buy something that way. Half price on already cheap crap is the way to go.

OTG-ZR2 01-30-2012 10:17 PM

Look out for sample sales. I have purchased lots of snowboard gear that way. Usually last years models but it's all brand new.
Posted via RS Mobile

RayBot 02-02-2012 03:23 PM

You'll be surprised in what you can find at Winners. Burton, Hurley and Quiksilver jackets,.....Quiksilver, Oakley, etc. pants...

artmotion 03-14-2012 10:55 PM

If you're shopping locally, Boardroom and the Boardroom Clearance are excellent. Fun in the Sun on West 4th also has great deals on outerwear and such. However, you might be able to find better deals online at the following sites:

Deal of the Day Tracker | Hourly and Daily Deals ODAT | Clean Snipe - Sites like Woot
DepartmentOfGoods.com: Discounted Outdoor Gear, Skiing, Snowboarding and Hiking Gear from The North Face, Patagonia and Oakley.

Girl 03-14-2012 11:10 PM

Here's a sample sale for March 23-24 on W7th

Untitled Document

Whats your budget for all your gear? It's not a "cheap" thing to start with. You can always rent first, although having your own boots makes a huge difference. Try it out a couple of times before investing into it if you're not the type to like getting wet, cold and sore when you first start learning.

artmotion 03-14-2012 11:16 PM

Looks like there's another one here too.

http://www.ilovesamplesales.com/rail...spring2012.jpg

I also highly recommend getting snowboarding socks. I've been snowboarding for around 13 years now and until this season, when I got some Neff snowboarding socks for Christmas, I was using regular socks. It makes a world of difference. My feet are always dry at the end of the day and super comfortable all day with all of the extra padding.

TRDood 03-14-2012 11:17 PM

I have been a skier for 10+ years and now getting into snowbaord. Looking to invest in some gear as well. I would go on CL for board and bindings. A used beginners adult set should be around $100-$150.

I would buy new boots though. Feels weird to wear used boots unless you have no choice but rent.

If you says Sportschek is too expensive, which is around $400 I assume, forget about proper stores on W.4th or online. Brand new stuff is $$$ even online. Buy goggles, pants, jackets, gloves, helmets online. A helmet is probably most important for snowboarding, not so much for skiing.
Posted via RS Mobile

jello24 03-15-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7830283)
Buy goggles, pants, jackets, gloves, helmets online. A helmet is probably most important for snowboarding, not so much for skiing.
Posted via RS Mobile

I wouldn't buy goggles or helmets online, since you dont know how it will fit on your head.

It's mainly if you're asian or have a small face, since most goggles out there are made for high nose bridges and if you're not careful there will be a massive air gap between your nose and the goggles foam that won't seal properly. I know this from experience since I impulse-bought Smith IO goggles, and while they look cool, I can fit my index finger between my nose and the foam, which means the goggles are essentially useless.

Same goes with helmets. Bring your goggles with you to fit it in the store so you don't hit the slopes with a VERY UNSIGHTLY gaper gap.

TRDood 03-15-2012 12:40 AM

I woukd test the model in store first then order online. Helmets fits very tricky.

I tried a Bern Watts helmet at BR for $130 plus 20% off but bought it online instead for $70. Huge savings and more colours.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jello24 (Post 7830330)
I wouldn't buy goggles or helmets online, since you dont know how it will fit on your head.

It's mainly if you're asian or have a small face, since most goggles out there are made for high nose bridges and if you're not careful there will be a massive air gap between your nose and the goggles foam that won't seal properly. I know this from experience since I impulse-bought Smith IO goggles, and while they look cool, I can fit my index finger between my nose and the foam, which means the goggles are essentially useless.

Same goes with helmets. Bring your goggles with you to fit it in the store so you don't hit the slopes with a VERY UNSIGHTLY gaper gap.

Posted via RS Mobile