REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

snowboard starter gear?

Hi,

can someone please tell me where i can get some cheap (new or used) snowboard gear? i went to sportchek and they are too expensive for me. i am very new so i want to get some gear so i can try out snowboard first

thanks
Advertisement
helphelp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

The Boardroom on West 4th avenue

edit: not sure if the discount store still exists but still a good place to check out
LookHere_Sucka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
The Board Room in north van has a clearance center in the bottom of the store. You could check the for sale section on this site, or craigslist, kijiji, etc.
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

if sportchek/mart still have their 'bring in your old shit for half price new shit' promotion going on ask a buddy for a busted up POS board and buy something that way. Half price on already cheap crap is the way to go.

Tumblr
1980 Datsun 280Z: sold 1995 Subaru Justy rip
1990 Civic Si: sold 1991 NA6 Miata rip
1989 240sx coupe: sold 1990 NA8 Miata current
1987 Corolla GTS Hatch: rip
1986 200sx hatch: sold
1989 Rb'd 240sx hatch: sold
Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
Better safe than Surrey

Look out for sample sales. I have purchased lots of snowboard gear that way. Usually last years models but it's all brand new.
Posted via RS Mobile
OTG-ZR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

You'll be surprised in what you can find at Winners. Burton, Hurley and Quiksilver jackets,.....Quiksilver, Oakley, etc. pants...
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #7

If you're shopping locally, Boardroom and the Boardroom Clearance are excellent. Fun in the Sun on West 4th also has great deals on outerwear and such. However, you might be able to find better deals online at the following sites:

Deal of the Day Tracker | Hourly and Daily Deals ODAT | Clean Snipe - Sites like Woot
DepartmentOfGoods.com: Discounted Outdoor Gear, Skiing, Snowboarding and Hiking Gear from The North Face, Patagonia and Oakley.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Retired moderator

Here's a sample sale for March 23-24 on W7th

Untitled Document

Whats your budget for all your gear? It's not a "cheap" thing to start with. You can always rent first, although having your own boots makes a huge difference. Try it out a couple of times before investing into it if you're not the type to like getting wet, cold and sore when you first start learning.

girl@revscene.net

girlはラップダンスをしたことがありません
Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #9

Looks like there's another one here too.

I also highly recommend getting snowboarding socks. I've been snowboarding for around 13 years now and until this season, when I got some Neff snowboarding socks for Christmas, I was using regular socks. It makes a world of difference. My feet are always dry at the end of the day and super comfortable all day with all of the extra padding.
artmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I have been a skier for 10+ years and now getting into snowbaord. Looking to invest in some gear as well. I would go on CL for board and bindings. A used beginners adult set should be around $100-$150.

I would buy new boots though. Feels weird to wear used boots unless you have no choice but rent.

If you says Sportschek is too expensive, which is around $400 I assume, forget about proper stores on W.4th or online. Brand new stuff is $$$ even online. Buy goggles, pants, jackets, gloves, helmets online. A helmet is probably most important for snowboarding, not so much for skiing.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Buy goggles, pants, jackets, gloves, helmets online. A helmet is probably most important for snowboarding, not so much for skiing.
Posted via RS Mobile
I wouldn't buy goggles or helmets online, since you dont know how it will fit on your head.

It's mainly if you're asian or have a small face, since most goggles out there are made for high nose bridges and if you're not careful there will be a massive air gap between your nose and the goggles foam that won't seal properly. I know this from experience since I impulse-bought Smith IO goggles, and while they look cool, I can fit my index finger between my nose and the foam, which means the goggles are essentially useless.

Same goes with helmets. Bring your goggles with you to fit it in the store so you don't hit the slopes with a VERY UNSIGHTLY gaper gap.
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:40 AM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I woukd test the model in store first then order online. Helmets fits very tricky.

I tried a Bern Watts helmet at BR for $130 plus 20% off but bought it online instead for $70. Huge savings and more colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
I wouldn't buy goggles or helmets online, since you dont know how it will fit on your head.

It's mainly if you're asian or have a small face, since most goggles out there are made for high nose bridges and if you're not careful there will be a massive air gap between your nose and the goggles foam that won't seal properly. I know this from experience since I impulse-bought Smith IO goggles, and while they look cool, I can fit my index finger between my nose and the foam, which means the goggles are essentially useless.

Same goes with helmets. Bring your goggles with you to fit it in the store so you don't hit the slopes with a VERY UNSIGHTLY gaper gap.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote