REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   off duty officer saves mom (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662420-off-duty-officer-saves-mom.html)

StylinRed 02-03-2012 06:16 AM

off duty officer saves mom

I think we all enjoy stories like this, especially the officers considering all the bad news we get of them

I bolded the part on why they crashed

Quote:

Local cop hailed a hero
Saved a mother and two young children after Tsawwassen accident

Jesse Johnston Feb 02, 2012 17:52:19 PM

TSAWWASSEN (NEWS1130) - A mom from Surrey is thanking an off-duty police officer and her young son for saving her and her little girl on Wednesday.

Alyse, 25, swerved to miss some ducks on Highway 10 near 52nd Street Tsawwassen. The car flipped and went into a ditch filled with water. Her two-year-old daughter Haylee and her six-year-old son Jordan were inside.

http://media.greenradio.topscms.com/...2ecab95984.jpg

"We were stuck inside and I wasn't sure how we'd get out," describes Alyse. "Then I told Jordan to open the rear passenger door and go get help. He walked around the car and up the embankment by himself and started to try to flag someone down."

The man who ran over to help was RCMP Constable Aaron Jabs with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team. Jabs was driving with his wife on Highway 10 when he saw a boy who was soaking wet crawl out of the ditch. He got out of his car and ran over to help.

"The man ran from his vehicle down the hill," says Alyse.. "I was so distraught, and I asked him for help to get her out. It was dark and hard to see. His wife brought their phone which had a flashlight on it and he was able to get my daughter out."

http://media.greenradio.topscms.com/...96b542a837.jpg

Alyse, Haylee and Jordan were airlifted to the hospital but no one was seriously hurt. They're all at home now recovering.

"A situation like this shows that whether officers are on or off-duty, public safety remains their number one priority, no matter where they are or in what community," said IHIT Operations Officer Ward Lymburner. "Constable Jabs is an exceptional investigator so his display of humanity here shows an extension of the kind of person he is."

Alyse says she would love to meet Jabs again so that she can thank him in person.
Local cop hailed a hero - News1130

the Officer

http://media.greenradio.topscms.com/...0190ff34bd.jpg
:thumbs:

how far did the car end up from the road? the images suggest the road wasn't even nearby

nns 02-03-2012 06:31 AM

Why don't you demonstrate a little class and not call a woman you don't know, who almost lost her daughter in an accident, a retard?

StylinRed 02-03-2012 06:36 AM

:rukidding: she risked all their lives.... to save some ducks....

how fast was she going when she swerved? @ the speed limit it would be retarded to swerve for ducks especially when you have kids in your car

but maybe you know her? ill show some discretion then since this may be close to home for some and take it out of the title

Redlines_Daily 02-03-2012 07:17 AM

No need to call her a retard

lowside67 02-03-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 7784168)
Why don't you demonstrate a little class and not call a woman you don't know, who almost lost her daughter in an accident, a retard?

Calling the woman retarded is definitely a little insensitive, but the general public NEEDS to be educated that if they are untrained in obstacle avoidance, it is much safer for everybody, including themselves if they simply hit the animal. I know this sounds awful but as Stylin said, this could have easily been a story where they drowned in a ditch if the ditch had simply had a bit more water in it... it happens all the time.

Mark

GLOW 02-03-2012 07:35 AM

retarded would not be a word i would use to describe her in this situation. if something jumps out at you i think for a lot of people - the natural instinct would be to swerve. it doesn't make it right, but i dont think it makes her retarded for what most likely is a natural reaction for her

gdoh 02-03-2012 08:30 AM

glad they are alright but i wonder how hard she pulled the steering wheel for her to manage to flip the car just to avoid some ducks....

BlackZRoadster 02-03-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7784171)
:rukidding: she risked all their lives.... to save some ducks....

how fast was she going when she swerved? @ the speed limit it would be retarded to swerve for ducks especially when you have kids in your car

but maybe you know her? ill show some discretion then since this may be close to home for some and take it out of the title

Think in the ducks perspective :okay:

dinosaur 02-03-2012 08:44 AM

this article was a little unexpected after reading the title...

I do agree she should not have swerved, but it could have just been an instinct.

It seems to me that it would take a few seconds longer to rationally think out the ramifications of swerving at a high speed, rather than swerving. Depending on how much time she had she may not have had that choice...

and ya..."retard"...not cool bro.

Soundy 02-03-2012 08:51 AM

Saw this on the news last night, including an interview with the mom. She actually came across as quite grounded and pretty normal. Swerving to avoid animals on the road is a very common instinctive move. Sorry, StylinRed, but you fail at life. Go die in a fire.

StylinRed 02-03-2012 09:01 AM

lol braking for animals is quite common see it all the time... swerving for some not only puts her and her kids at risk but anyone in the other lanes @ risk

ive edited where i branded her a retard but it still shows up in the thread listings (cant do anything about that sorry)

but come on let's get real here we've called people retards for less/more on here except this time it needs to be said because people seem to think what she did is okay :fulloffuck:

freakshow 02-03-2012 09:17 AM

honestly guys, calling someone a retard is probably one of the least offensive things posted on RS..

originalhypa 02-03-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 7784283)
honestly guys, calling someone a retard is probably one of the least offensive things posted on RS..

Agreed.
In fact telling someone to "die in a fire" is far more offensive.

Soundy 02-03-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 7784293)
Agreed.
In fact telling someone to "die in a fire" is far more offensive.

That's a matter of perspective.

taylor192 02-03-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

I thought "stupid" would be too, yet many members get their panties in a bunch.

GLOW 02-03-2012 09:44 AM

time to start a thread "what insult is considered offensive on RS"

dachinesedude 02-03-2012 09:51 AM

RS members bash each other for no reason all the time, yet when a random woman gets called a retard, shit just got real

:suspicious:

Datsun 02-03-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 7784314)
time to start a thread "what insult is considered offensive on RS"

"Noob"
Posted via RS Mobile

adambomb 02-03-2012 09:53 AM

You never go full retard. :nicethread:

Soundy 02-03-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dachinesedude (Post 7784335)
RS members bash each other for no reason all the time, yet when a random woman gets called a retard, shit just got real

:suspicious:

Maybe because she's not here to call him a "retard" back in person.

StylinRed 02-03-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7784353)
Maybe because she's not here to call him a "retard" back in person.

just like all those richmond drivers eh ;)

minoru_tanaka 02-03-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7784359)
just like all those richmond drivers eh ;)

Are you implying that race is a big factor in whether RS sympathizes with someone who fucks up?

Is that even possibru?

Redlines_Daily 02-03-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Not to me. I work with people with developmental disabilities, so I feel quite offended when I hear that word. I think it's all relative though, I know most people don't use it as an insult..I actually had an elderly lady come up to me on the street when I was working with a child with autism and say "Oh thats so nice, my grandson is a retard too!" :facepalm:

dinosaur 02-03-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7784305)
I thought "stupid" would be too, yet many members get their panties in a bunch.

*un-bunching panties*

StylinRed 02-03-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily (Post 7784415)
Not to me. I work with people with developmental disabilities, so I feel quite offended when I hear that word. I think it's all relative though, I know most people don't use it as an insult..I actually had an elderly lady come up to me on the street when I was working with a child with autism and say "Oh thats so nice, my grandson is a retard too!" :facepalm:

^^^ i/we call people who act stupidly, retards

I've worked with and have a relative who has downs syndrome I've never once called them or made reference to them in any demeaning manner

imho a 'retard' is someone who is capable of thinking critically but acts stupidly like the lady in the story; it's something we are all capable of, pointing it out shouldn't be a concern imo

if anyone's issue is with the wording, as has been said I've edited it out but unfortunately it persists

if anyone wants to speak up about the word i'd suggest you do it in the thread bitching about mainlanders in HK
;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 7784388)
Are you implying that race is a big factor in whether RS sympathizes with someone who fucks up?

Is that even possibru?

no i would have pointed something like that out by saying asian drivers or clais