REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
RS controls my life!

can't blame those who are the ones complaining and fighting for our rights. Who else is gonna do it? not the people who say they don't give a shit. If you don't complain and fight for something, you're just going to give in and until its too late, be controlled and have to give whatever they want. I rather have a few people fighting against the issue and know the whole situation and have them tell us everything accurately in the end then just let em install meters at my house. I do accept the installment though if it does show more accurate numbers for our usage of electricity.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
What "rights" do you think you're fighting for here? BC Hydro is providing a service that you've CHOSEN to use, and they want to upgrade their equipment that's a part of that service. You have no rights to HAVE that service, and as such you have no rights to say how they choose to deliver it.

Don't like it... get rid of the service. Pretty simple. Nobody's forcing you to use their power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I don't grow weed; I don't care if they change it......
Posted via RS Mobile
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #29
RS controls my life!

Privacy concerns derp. Even if someone isnt doing anything wrong, i rather have a world woth less spying if being able to know what we are doing is the case.
Posted via RS Mobile
SupraTTturbo2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #30
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
Privacy concerns derp. Even if someone isnt doing anything wrong, i rather have a world woth less spying if being able to know what we are doing is the case.
Posted via RS Mobile
So do you worry that your cellphone provider has a detailed list of who you call how often and for how long? That you're not supposed to send secure information over MSN or Text messages because they could be tapped? That someone could sit across the street from you with a camera and figure out what time you come and go? That your ISP knows what you download and how much?

Speaking realistically, are you on facebook or do you have a google account? If you do, you have a LOT less privacy using them then you EVER would by having a smart meter installed. At least with a smart meter you can save some money if they bring in time-based billing, rather than just making money for FB or GGL.
Dickson_Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
And what exactly do you think they know you're doing? They can't get any more information from these things than they could by sitting outside your house.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
They can't get any more information from these things than they could by sitting outside your house.
That would still be as much a breach in privacy as these smart meters.

I'm indifferent with them and have no qualms about the privacy issue, but that is a pretty weak argument.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #33
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Abuse of our rights or not. You could always try living without electricity.

adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #34
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,321 Times in 5,639 Posts
funny how two viet guys i grew up with post nothing but "ban smart meter" articles on facebook lol
Old 02-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #35
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,812 Times in 8,187 Posts
lol @ the idiots and conspiracy theorists who think there is some ulterior motive behind smart meters

L O L.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #36
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Ever heard of data over power? Guess not.
Enjoy the radiation while governments around the world just up the "safe levels" of radiation.
Quote:
They can't. They can tell how much power you're using, not what is using it... you could do this before by watching the little spinning dial on the meter. There's no way for anyone to know whether you're cooking a meal or drying your clothes (oven and dryer both use about the same current). They'll get a better idea by checking your dryer vent or stove vent, something people can already do regardless of what kind of meter you have.

People should be glad Hydro isn't dropping the ultimatum: no smart meter, no power.

Complainers like to bring that up, saying that means they'll get charged more at peak periods... I look at it as potentially being able to pay less off-peak. My dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer all allow me to schedule or delay their start times, so I could easily program them to run after I go to bed, and hopefully save a bundle on some of the more energy-hungry appliances.

There is no "privacy thing" except under the tinfoil hats.

They could do that just standing looking at the meter. Or sitting across the street in a white van watching your front door and seeing when your lights go on and off. The whole argument is a crock.

Last edited by Death2Theft; 02-03-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #37
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

With the cost of the new meters good luck seeing anything in the way of savings on your end. Like they would ever pass savings over to the consumer, your more crazy than any conspiracy theorist.

Of course you idiots also believe in man made global warming so enjoy paying your carbon taxes.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #38
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
hey guys, i'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with the new smart meter changes. we refused it because it seems like there's still an ongoing debate about privacy issues and the worker said eventually it'll get changed and he'll come back. he sounded pissed which i have no idea why because he's getting paid anyway.

any thoughts?
the worker was pissed cuz he was probably a contractor. BC Hydro is contracting out all the meter replacements. I bet these contractors get paid for every house they change up. so he probably didn't get paid for the time he spent at your house, that's why he was upset haha.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #39
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
What "rights" do you think you're fighting for here? BC Hydro is providing a service that you've CHOSEN to use, and they want to upgrade their equipment that's a part of that service. You have no rights to HAVE that service, and as such you have no rights to say how they choose to deliver it.

Don't like it... get rid of the service. Pretty simple. Nobody's forcing you to use their power.
Soundy hit the nail right on the head. It's their meter. They own it. They probably have more rights to change their own equipment than you do to refuse the install.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
That would still be as much a breach in privacy as these smart meters.
And again, what do you think they're going to find out about you?
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Ever heard of data over power? Guess not.
Yes. What does that have to do with this?

Quote:
Enjoy the radiation while governments around the world just up the "safe levels" of radiation.
Do you own a cell phone? If so, just shut the fuck up.

The meters turn on for a few seconds at at time, a few times a day... transmit their info, and then turn off the radio. It's transmitting for a total of something like 2.4 seconds per day. At a fraction of the power of your cell phone. Your cell phone is radiating signal probably 24/7, sitting in your pocket next to your shrinking nads most of that time... and you're worried about this meter??

Bitch, please.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
the worker was pissed cuz he was probably a contractor. BC Hydro is contracting out all the meter replacements. I bet these contractors get paid for every house they change up. so he probably didn't get paid for the time he spent at your house, that's why he was upset haha.
Also he is probably annoyed by dealing with idiots who deny him from doing his job just because they are dumb. That would piss me off to no end.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Also he is probably annoyed by dealing with idiots who deny him from doing his job just because they are dumb. That would piss me off to no end.
Posted via RS Mobile
Kinda like being a mod here?
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #44

Here's a good read and listen for those that want to know more

A Not-Very-Smart Debate on Smart Meters | Skeptoid
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #45
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
anyone know when I can use the web to monitor my usage?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #46
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Here's a good read and listen for those that want to know more

A Not-Very-Smart Debate on Smart Meters | Skeptoid
Posted via RS Mobile
your comments seem like they are "dumb"

throw the health issues out the window.. let that be the fight for the lawers in court.. cause thats how it needs to be fought.

have none of you seen the news about BC Hydro lately?

Bc Hydro is a crown corp that is POORLy ran.. they are a company that generates electricity and sells it to you... they make the prices.. you don't have a choice but to buy from them... they want to hire 300+ employees they don't need... your rates go up.. the British Columbia Utilities Commission is supposed to assess what and why they are raising the rates.. well they have dropped the ball many times.. look at what the clark government has done with thehydro rate hike... said get your shit together and you can cut your rate hike almost in half to 16 percent down from 30. The smart meter is a start to "peak hour billing".. meaning you use power in certain times and they charge you a LOT More.

take a company like Fortis.. they give you pricing at almost open market pricing... but charge you a little for delivery of gas.. so if gas prices fall then your cost of gas falls. as it has 2 times in the last quarter of 2011.
Gas has been deregulated.. and so should hydro.

i want competetive prices on my utilities and i don't want to be set up for a ass raping on my hydro bill in the future.. cause thats what will happen.
i have had a smart meter for 2.5 years... when i upgraded the service to my house.

the smart meters are all about peak hour billing.
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #47
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I'm confused at all the people failing those who have no qualms with the smart meter. Exactly what is wrong with these being installed?

Health? My laptop is currently showing half a dozen wireless networks that it's able to pick up on an N connection, and my neighbourhood has houses built on lots that are at minimum half an acre big. And I'm sure my own neighbours can detect my own wireless network. That's far more radio waves bombarding me all day than this meter will ever give me. And don't even get me started on cellphones.

Privacy? If anything, this is less intrusive than the current analog units. A meter reader can walk to the edge of your property, connect to your meter for thirty seconds, and leave. You won't have to worry about him walking through your garden, or going through your backyard unannounced.

Billing during peak hours? Meh. I already run my dishwasher and laundry during the evening/overnight anyway. Stands to reason that the majority of people can do the same as well. Or... don't use your dishwasher and spend ten minutes washing dishes the old fashion way in your sink. Or hang dry your clothes overnight. And don't use the single parent argument. Evening and night is usually when you all get your stuff done after your kid has gone to bed anyway.

As for BC Hydro being run as a company... that argument has nothing to do with smart meters. Just like virtually every other company out there, it certainly has a lot of excess fat it can trim. I have no qualms with that. Even my friend who works for them admits it. However, as I said, that has nothing to do with getting rid of the old, antiquated analog spinners.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 AM   #48
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Just got my notice today that they'll be coming to change mine soon. Honestly looking forward to the cool new Smart Meter.

Plus, they'll never come into my back yard to check the meter ever again. Better privacy imho.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:16 AM   #49
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I don't know about you folks but I signed some sort of agreement with Hydro back in the late 1980's before they turned the power on. probably says something in that agreement that we all agreed to, to allow this. I don't buy that it will save millions of dollars but I believe that it will allow them the ability to charge more at peak use times. By doing so they hope the higher chagre will get us to spread the useage over a longer time period and avoid the massive demand periods.

It's like water use. Where I live we have summer watering restrictions that prohibit use. The resevoir has all kinds of water so there is no shortage. The problem is that the pipes and pumping systems cannot meet the extra demand for relatively short periods of time. They would have to spend hundreds of millions of $ to have enough pipes and pumps to cover the extra demand. Similar situation thing with hydro.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #50

^Hey, what are you doing outside of Police Forum?? Back in your cage!
Quote: