REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

bc hydro smart meter

hey guys, i'm just wondering if anyone has dealt with the new smart meter changes. we refused it because it seems like there's still an ongoing debate about privacy issues and the worker said eventually it'll get changed and he'll come back. he sounded pissed which i have no idea why because he's getting paid anyway.

any thoughts?
Advertisement
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
BC Hydro just came and changed em while we weren't home, left a brochure on the door.

Sneaky bastards...
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Guy came by my place the other day to change my meter and I asked if he needed a hand.

At the end of the day, is all the smart meter fuss worth it? No matter what, we are going to want power for all our electronic gadgets, enterainment systems and to heat our homes. Whatever your beef is whether it be privacy, new charges or the electromagnetic fields it may generate . No one is ever going to say "Fine, I'll just live without electricity." There are plenty of other parts of the world who wish they could have the access to electricity that we have. The worker was right, it will eventually get changed to a smart meter and you'll have to deal with it unless you plan to live without electricity. IMO anybody causing a fuss is someone who doesn't like change.

I chalk up the whole smart meter fiasco as to another "first world problem"
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
they own the meters dont they?

what do the new smart readers do?
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I printed out a form and ziplocked it beside the meter that I didn't want to get it changed.
This is more about constitutional rights if you "need" power just like you "need" water, well then you may as well live without any rights. But hey your not a criminal and you dont mind if people know what your doing inside the privacy of your own home right? You've got nothing to hide!
If people even budge a inch with this the results arn't going to be pretty in the long run, these are the rights (as little as they seem now) that people of past generations have paid in blood in order for you to have them.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

My Apartment building went ahead and did it.

The issue is they can tell what's going on in your house (such as if you're home, if you're watching TV, if you're sleeping) by having real time, minute by minute data on your power usage.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
what? i thought all it did was tell Hydro automatically when & how much power we used rather than having to have Hydro send a guy once every so often to write down the numbers on the gauges ?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
JSS
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

so what if they can tell you're watching tv, cooking or sleeping?

if you've got nothing illegal to hide whats the big deal?

shaw cable knows what you're watching and can go into your digital cable pvr box to access anything on there they want... OMG they know you're a closet homo and watch desperate house wives!! alert the media!!

telus knows when and how often you use your phone and who you call. big deal.

its like people are fucking bored and have no lives and just want to complain about something, its the same dumb shits that complain about every other stupid little thing. i dont know about any of you but ive got work, school, bills an annoying family and my other own shit to worry about, not some stupid smart meter.

this is being blown WAY out of proportion, IMO, the only people who have a right to complain are the meter readers who are now gonna be out of a job.

if you dont want to be on bc hydro's grid, buy a generator and supply your own power, nobodys stopping you.
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
They switched them at our building in Burnaby. I now have no idea how to read them, but it doesn't really matter...i sometimes look at the bank of them to see who cranks through more power than I do

The only thing I cared about, is they didn't need me to be present to do it.

The problem with them, is once they are all in place, it will be nice and easy to have different rates at different times of day. Plus the privacy thing. But different rates at different times is just a different way to increase rates as opposed to all across the board rate hikes.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
StylinRed is right, it just transmits the read data at given intervals instead of requiring a person to manually read it. It should actually be *more* accurate.

Since it transmits probably multiple times a day, if someone wanted to take all the data and build a timeline, they could theoretically tell when you're probably home because of increased electricity usage.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Have had 35 units changed 2 more to go. Only one of my tenants had a problem. His bill was way higher than usual. BC hydro corrected his bill.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
My Apartment building went ahead and did it.

The issue is they can tell what's going on in your house (such as if you're home, if you're watching TV, if you're sleeping) by having real time, minute by minute data on your power usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS View Post
so what if they can tell you're watching tv, cooking or sleeping?
They can't. They can tell how much power you're using, not what is using it... you could do this before by watching the little spinning dial on the meter. There's no way for anyone to know whether you're cooking a meal or drying your clothes (oven and dryer both use about the same current). They'll get a better idea by checking your dryer vent or stove vent, something people can already do regardless of what kind of meter you have.

Quote:
if you dont want to be on bc hydro's grid, buy a generator and supply your own power, nobodys stopping you.
People should be glad Hydro isn't dropping the ultimatum: no smart meter, no power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
The problem with them, is once they are all in place, it will be nice and easy to have different rates at different times of day.
Complainers like to bring that up, saying that means they'll get charged more at peak periods... I look at it as potentially being able to pay less off-peak. My dishwasher, clothes washer, and dryer all allow me to schedule or delay their start times, so I could easily program them to run after I go to bed, and hopefully save a bundle on some of the more energy-hungry appliances.

Quote:
Plus the privacy thing.
There is no "privacy thing" except under the tinfoil hats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Since it transmits probably multiple times a day, if someone wanted to take all the data and build a timeline, they could theoretically tell when you're probably home because of increased electricity usage.
They could do that just standing looking at the meter. Or sitting across the street in a white van watching your front door and seeing when your lights go on and off. The whole argument is a crock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I have no idea why some people are so upset about these. The neat thing is that BCHydro will know exactly where the power outage is. No more calling and waiting on the phone after a power line goes down during a windstorm.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
I printed out a form and ziplocked it beside the meter that I didn't want to get it changed.
This is more about constitutional rights if you "need" power just like you "need" water, well then you may as well live without any rights. But hey your not a criminal and you dont mind if people know what your doing inside the privacy of your own home right? You've got nothing to hide!
If people even budge a inch with this the results arn't going to be pretty in the long run, these are the rights (as little as they seem now) that people of past generations have paid in blood in order for you to have them.
There's nothing in the Constitution that guarantees you electricity or water, so that blows the "Constitutional" argument out of the water right off the hop. If there were, they wouldn't be able to shut your power off for non-payment... just go ahead and don't pay your Hydro bill for a few months, see how that works out.
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooface55 View Post
I have no idea why some people are so upset about these. The neat thing is that BCHydro will know exactly where the power outage is. No more calling and waiting on the phone after a power line goes down during a windstorm.
Heck, your power could go out when you're not home, and they could detect it and fix it before you ever get home and realize it was out in the first place.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #16
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Only thing that pissed me off about the changeover was, I missed my favourite show that I was recording on PVR. God dang it!

Other than that, nothing has changed. Dick is still there and I don't glow in the dark more than usual.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #17
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I don't get this whole fiasco over it.
by default BC Hydro always had the ability to monitor your power usage. With the upgrade to smart meters it just makes it easier for them to collect the usage data by not having someone come in and read the meters (for some houses, this involved getting into say... a backyard)

So should I boycott Rogers for knowing exactly when I am calling or text messaging?

The idea is similar - they don't have a clue what you are DOING with your power, they just know that you are USING it.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Only thing that pissed me off about the changeover was, I missed my favourite show that I was recording on PVR. God dang it!

Other than that, nothing has changed. Dick is still there and I don't glow in the dark more than usual.
They changed over our whole complex, apparently a couple months ago... I never even noticed. Didn't come home to flashing clocks or anything. Pretty slick.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

are smart meters being installed in every house
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
are smart meters being installed in every house
Yep.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Heck, your power could go out when you're not home, and they could detect it and fix it before you ever get home and realize it was out in the first place.
I would no my power went out because the microwave and stereo will blink 12:00

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Lol who gives 2 fucks?
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
From what I understand after some brief googling is the real concern/complaint here

is people are saying this step of installing smart meters is the step before a "peak hours usage system" is initiated where we'll be charged premium rates @ like 4pm-8pm

and since these smart meters are already installed they'll have no problem in enabling such a system

that's why the opposition is trying to grasp onto reasons for these units not to be installed, be it health concerns or privacy concerns etc
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
From what I understand after some brief googling is the real concern/complaint here

is people are saying this step of installing smart meters is the step before a "peak hours usage system" is initiated where we'll be charged premium rates @ like 4pm-8pm
And again I say, so what? Do all your heavy usage in off-peak hours. The alternative would be an overall rate hike. If it comes to the choice of having rates go up 5% 24/7, or 10% during peak times totaling maybe 40 hours a week... I'd rather have the option to pay the lower rate by simply adjusting my habits a bit.

Quote:
that's why the opposition is trying to grasp onto reasons for these units not to be installed, be it health concerns or privacy concerns etc
Most of the pushback is people opposed to it just because they're opposed to everything. First they cite the billing issue; if that's shot down, it becomes the privacy issue; address that, and they drag out the health issue. Answer all of those, they start calling it "undemocratic" and talking about constitutional challenges.

And of course, doesn't matter what argument you want to come up with, you'll be able to find something on the internet to back you up... most of which comes with a free subscription to tinfoil hats.
Quote: