REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Canadian citizenship test (info?) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662433-canadian-citizenship-test-info.html)

bloodline129 02-03-2012 10:42 AM

Canadian citizenship test (info?)

Hi everyone, I was wondering on how many of you did have to take one and what from where u studying for it?
My test is coming up next month and I have the book but it's really hard to learn 100 pages of history and remember all the specifics.
I know the test is a multiple choice so I wondered if there is any online help I can get? Are the questions and answers available online? I found one but not sure how legit it is.
So if anyone can give me some info would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Posted via RS Mobile

drunkrussian 02-03-2012 10:45 AM

not much help from me unfortunately but just remember: the biggest river in canada is the st. lawrence, if they ask.

...not the fraser river, as my dad said.

murd0c 02-03-2012 10:54 AM

If you have to ask for help on the test to become a Canadian citizen I personally think you don’t deserve to become on yet….. It’s about the honor and pride of the great country we live in. It’s not about cheating on a test like in school.

drunkrussian 02-03-2012 10:56 AM

^fuck that. It's a stupid test that is part of a bullshit tradition and has nothing to do with being a good citizen. Being a good citizen means not being a racist prick, treating people nicely, contributing to the economy and voting. Not a test

Manic! 02-03-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7784399)
If you have to ask for help on the test to become a Canadian citizen I personally think you don’t deserve to become on yet….. It’s about the honor and pride of the great country we live in. It’s not about cheating on a test like in school.

I bet you would have a tough time passing.

Energy 02-03-2012 11:00 AM

^^ i became a Canadian when I was 4 so I didn't need to take a test. Doesnt make me any less of a Canadian.
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 02-03-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7784402)
^fuck that

and I'm Russian as well, when my grandparents moved here from the old country they where honored and went out of there way to learn about Canada out of the respect for the people and the country. The way things should be.

murd0c 02-03-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7784409)
I bet you would have a tough time passing.

good thing my birth certificate says that I don't have to take the test :fuckthatshit:

RiceIntegraRS 02-03-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7784412)
good thing my birth certificate says that I don't have to take the test :fuckthatshit:

I would thank you 100x over. If someone wanna become a citizen here, go pass the test.
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 02-03-2012 11:09 AM

Found this practice test: Canadian Citizenship Free Practice Test 2012 Discover Canada

There is a bunch more if you search Google.

Manic! 02-03-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 7784416)
I would thank you 100x over. If someone wanna become a citizen here, go pass the test.
Posted via RS Mobile

So you knew all about Canadian history when you were born and had no help from teachers or text books. :facepalm:

sonick 02-03-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7784422)
Found this practice test: Canadian Citizenship Free Practice Test 2012 Discover Canada

Got 20/25 on the Citizen Quiz 1, not bad.

Manic! 02-03-2012 11:26 AM

Born in Canada and got 22/25 or 88% Citizen Quiz 1.

murd0c :yuno: anything about Canada?

murd0c 02-03-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7784422)

I just took this test and ended up getting 22/25. I found out most of these questions were fairly simple and I havent looked at any text book in the past 13years

RiceIntegraRS 02-03-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7784425)
So you knew all about Canadian history when you were born and had no help from teachers or text books. :facepalm:

No i didnt know and i dont have to know. Thats one of the advantages of being born here and living here for the past 27 years. People that wanna live here cant just have a free pass into the country. Next thing u know ull be defending a guy that asks where he can buy a drivers licence in bc.
Posted via RS Mobile

GLOW 02-03-2012 11:36 AM

i'm reminded of a quote when i see this thread that i believe it was chris rock that said something like - "being born here doesn't make you american, it makes you lucky" i guess you can change american for canadian in this case

since when is studying from alternative sources considered cheating? it's not like he's going to write the answers on the bottom of his shoe.

i find it nice that he's actually taking it seriously and looking for alternative resources to help me pass the test and not just flat out cheating

sorry OP i can't help you, i was lucky enough to be born in this great country i call home. good luck on your test & studies

tiger_handheld 02-03-2012 12:26 PM

5 great lakes = HOMES

Huron
Ontario
Michigan
Erie
Superior

Gridlock 02-03-2012 12:37 PM

I did the first test from that page, and I think its a good sampling of questions. I don't really care that people know about hockey or not, to be quite honest. I think someone should be able to answer questions about what is legal and illegal here, our system of government and how it works and what powers the police do and do not have.

Its a good way to create a break from whatever country people have come from and re-affirm what they are and are not allowed to do here.

unit 02-03-2012 12:38 PM

did test 1, got 24/25. born in canada never seen a citizenship test before.
honestly if you speak good english you can figure out these questions just based on simple elimination. of course a little actual knowledge helps.
i dont really think it makes you more canadian because you can pass it.

my mom would probably fail with flying colors without studying, she passed the test 35 years ago.
she does follow a lot of canadian customs though. she respects the law, shes respectful to people, etc..
more than any new citizen that could pass the test today after studying for a few days.

sonick 02-03-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7784535)
Its a good way to create a break from whatever country people have come from and re-affirm what they are and are not allowed to do here.

e.g. Honour killing. /halfjoking.

Mr.C 02-03-2012 12:40 PM

I did it last year. It was insanely ridiculously easy. There was even a question related to honour killings on it lol.

drunkrussian 02-03-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7784411)
and I'm Russian as well, when my grandparents moved here from the old country they where honored and went out of there way to learn about Canada out of the respect for the people and the country. The way things should be.

ok i agree cheating is retarded, on anything. but to ask for help? You and I had our lives of going to school here, watching tv here, and reading here, to learn about this shit. Take someone who barely speaks english and make them memorize provinces in english - what's wrong with asking for all the help you can get? If anything it shows they are eager to become a citizen and start contributing to our society. And regardless i still stand by the argument that the test is a formality; there are many people born here who i would say are far worse citizens than new immigrants who fail the test.

TheKingdom2000 02-03-2012 12:47 PM

Are you guys fucking kidding me?

This is a basic ass test to become a MOTHER FUCKING CANADIAN CITIZEN.
Do you know what it means to be a Canadian Citizen? Do you not understand the rights and privileges you get as a Canadian?

There are too many fcukin people that leech off our system and our hard earned tax dollars. If they can not pass a simple ass test, why the hell do they deserve our rights and freedoms?

Do you people think that becoming a CANADIAN is a joke? I certainly do not think so.
If all you have to do is pass a simple ass test that is 100 pages? Are you kidding me, that's like two chapters worth of post-secondary. Hell if you're a psych major that's only ONE chapter.

I love that Canada is multicultural, don't get me wrong. But, I think being Canadian is a big mother fucking deal. And to pass a simple test to become one isn't asking too much.

EDIT
I removed my "fail" from drunkrussian's post above as I jumped to conclusions and I understand what he means.
I agree that this test is a fcuking joke. I know that passing this test DOES NOT mean you're a Canadian. Obviously, being a Canadian encompasses so many things. And the government needs to revamp the process of becoming a Canadian as I feel the procedure is rather laughable and too easy.

However, the government for whatever reason decided that this test will either give you citizenship or not.
My point is this, if one can not even pass this simple test, then said person should not be able to call themselves Canadian. If this simple test is all that stands between you and Canadian Citizenship-the least you can do is take it seriously and pass.

-----------

OP, look on craigslist for some help. You have a month. That is more than ample time to review your book. Just based on your post it seems you have some difficulty with grammar and your written English. So I think it will be MUCH easier if you hire a tutor and get them to go through the book with you.

I don't think the book is too difficult, maybe you are having a hard time understanding it?
I wish you luck. But, please put some effort into it as you can tell i'm very proud to be Canadian and I hope you will be just as proud.

ps. Guaranteed question on the exam.
Who was the FIRST prime minister of Canada?
A- Sir John Alexander Macdonald

murd0c 02-03-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7784543)
ok i agree cheating is retarded, on anything. but to ask for help? You and I had our lives of going to school here, watching tv here, and reading here, to learn about this shit. Take someone who barely speaks english and make them memorize provinces in english - what's wrong with asking for all the help you can get? If anything it shows they are eager to become a citizen and start contributing to our society. And regardless i still stand by the argument that the test is a formality; there are many people born here who i would say are far worse citizens than new immigrants who fail the test.

The main thing I think is if the person is scared of the test maybe the person isn't ready to take it. You don't have to be a Canadian citizen to contrubite to society because the great thing about Canada is everyone ie equal being a citizen or not. You should want to take the test because you want to know about Canada and be proud and want to learn the history and rights. Not asking around to make the test easier so you can get that piece of paper you put in your drawer for the rest of your life.

This is my personal opnion tho because I feel that people coming into Canada these days don't care enough about this country, the history and our heritage the makes Canada the best country in the world.

Geoc 02-03-2012 01:01 PM

Well, you write coherent English, so you're better than three-quarters of the immigrants here.

Don't try to rely on that book too hard, do all the practice questions that Manic linked to. It will give you a much better sense of what the test is going to be like.