REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #26
Banned (ABWS)

Don't worry about flat spots, we are not talking about tires from 20 years ago
Advertisement
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
Id just park it, start it once a week / fully warm it up, get storage insurance & not worry too much, its a pretty new car, my rx7 was neglected and sitting for over a year before i bought it from previous owner sadly, still started fine (with a jump start lol) drove it home and didnt have any flat spots on tires, never heard of that happening and ive had cars sit for more than 4 months, lol.

if your not going to start it at all, and worried about the fuel add some stabilizer, fill the tank right to the top to prevent the gas from evaporating and leaving sludge deposits on the gas tank, and disconnect the negative battery terminal if your underground is cold
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #28
I don't get it

How u guys figure 30$ for 3 months? I paid 30 for 1 month just comprehensive n 1 mill liability. Am I missing something?
Posted via RS Mobile
bloodline129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
How u guys figure 30$ for 3 months? I paid 30 for 1 month just comprehensive n 1 mill liability. Am I missing something?
Posted via RS Mobile
depends on what kind of car you have. my rx7 is super expensive for storage insurance... i think its 60 somthing bucks for 2 or 3 months for mine
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
Old 02-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
How did you come up with this number? Between buying a beater and losing the tax on it, cancellation fees on your Civic, short term insurance on the new car, storing your Civic, unexpected repairs on the beater, etc. it seems highly unlikely that this is an accurate number.

Mark
im paying about 1000~ (finance+insurance(+% surcharge) + gas) for my civic per month right now

for the beater about 600~ (finance from newercat + insurance (quoted for 220 a month) + gas)

400 x 4 months, minus some this and that for fees, saving is still saving =\
Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
$220/mn insurance on a beater? I pay $90/mn for Basic and Liability on my 2003 C-class cause its only worth $6K and isn't worth fully insuring.

You're doing something wrong.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

So much mis information here...starting your car once a week till its fully warm is over kill. You can do it twice a month, and all you are trying to do is get the oil moving on the seals so they don't dry up... No need to get it fully warm.
Posted via RS Mobile
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #33
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

dont forget to give the car a good wash before you store it. if you havent already, give the wheel wells, rims and even the bottom of the car a good rinse since the roads were salted recently.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:57 AM   #34
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
$220/mn insurance on a beater? I pay $90/mn for Basic and Liability on my 2003 C-class cause its only worth $6K and isn't worth fully insuring.

You're doing something wrong.
i have a 55 percent surcharge
Old 02-05-2012, 01:50 AM   #35
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
- Put a car cover on it. Clean all the dirt and dust off the car. Cover will pick up dirt and scratch the paint.
- Empty most of the gas out or put in a stabilizer.
- Maybe put a box of baking soda in the car.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Over-inflate tires to minimize flat spots.

Before reuse, inspect for small animals. Charge the battery up.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #36
My homepage has been set to RS

When I stored my car back in September before heading to Europe for a year I filled the tank, put some fuel sabilizer in it, pulled the battery and put it on a trickle charger, stuffed a sock in the exhaust (for rodents) and changed the oil. Oh, and I also put it on jack stands (but the stands are placed on the control arms to keep the suspension loaded like the car is sitting on four wheels).

When I get home, I am going to drive the car around for a bit to drain the tank. Then pull my injectors, get them cleaned, change the oil and fuel filter and that will be the end of it.

edit: oh, and run the car around the block a few times with the fuel stabil in the tank to mix it up really good and for the stabilized fuel to make it's way to the injectors.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.

Last edited by falcon; 02-05-2012 at 06:47 AM.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
- Put a car cover on it. Clean all the dirt and dust off the car. Cover will pick up dirt and scratch the paint.
- Empty most of the gas out or put in a stabilizer.
- Maybe put a box of baking soda in the car.
- Disconnect the battery.
- Over-inflate tires to minimize flat spots.

Before reuse, inspect for small animals. Charge the battery up.
No offense but some of this is terrible advice. You want a FULL tank of gas, not an empty one. And fuel stabilizer is not an option. If you just disconnect the battery, it still likely won't start when you get back. Get a $30 trickle charger. Over inflating tires will promote cracks if there are large temp. swings. Just air them up to 40PSI all around and call it a day. Or put it on jack stands like I did.

A can of baking soda is a good idea and a cover is also a must especially if its going to be in a place people will be like a shared garage.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post
Id just park it, start it once a week / fully warm it up
Also bad advice. Starting the car once a week and "warming it up" is not only going to slowly drain your battery but also create condensation in the exhaust system which can cause rust.

Your alternator needs to be on average above 2000-3000RPM to actually charge the battery. By idling, every time you start the car it uses a bit of the juice, slowly draining the battery because while idling you're not actually re-charging the battery. You are also causing a lot of strain on the motor just starting it with cold oil and un necessarily putting wear on bearings. Unless you plan to DRIVE the car once a week (like around the block a few times for like 10min.) you are better off just leaving it alone and not causing extra work for yourself.

I dealt with storing a huge amount of motorcycles for the winter season at my old job as well as storing multiple cars over the years. Never once have I had an issue in the spring.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
can i grab all this from canadian tire?
Most likely, but the "good" stuff (the acutal Sta-BIL brand) you can pick up at any motorcycle shop in the lower mainland.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
similar situation for me, storing car for a year. figured i post here than start a similar thread. full tank w/ fuel stabilizer, car on jacks and battery disconnected. with storage insurance. anything im missing?
If it's for a year, get a trickle charger. You'll thank me later.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #41
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

get some of this: DRI-Z-AIRŪ DEHUMIDIFIER - MOISTURE ABSORBER - MADE IN THE USA

sucks moisture out of the air, so you won't get moisture buildup inside the car. might not be a big issue in an underground garage, but definitely needed if the car is outside. I have the "classic" in my Supra, it fills the little bucket in a month.
Enraged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #42
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
are you planning on buying storage insurance?
Good investment as it saved me when someone broke into my car and did about $2000 damage trying to steal it.

Better to be safe than sorry.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #43
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Dude, it'll be fine. Started it every couple weeks and you'll be fine. I've had cars stored for the same amount of time and that's all I did.

Hell, I have a car in my driveway that's been sitting for close to a year now and i'm expecting it to start up fairly easily... Once I get it fixed.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #44
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil@rise View Post
you dont need fuel stabilizer if its only 4 months. you wont need a charger either just start it every month and let it run for 20-30 minutes.
I'm storing my my car for a little under 6 months would I be okay without stabilizer? Car has been stored for 4~ months now and I kept the tank low on fuel so when I drive it again I can just fill it right up with new fuel.
kouki_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Also bad advice. Starting the car once a week and "warming it up" is not only going to slowly drain your battery but also create condensation in the exhaust system which can cause rust.

Your alternator needs to be on average above 2000-3000RPM to actually charge the battery. By idling, every time you start the car it uses a bit of the juice, slowly draining the battery because while idling you're not actually re-charging the battery. You are also causing a lot of strain on the motor just starting it with cold oil and un necessarily putting wear on bearings. Unless you plan to DRIVE the car once a week (like around the block a few times for like 10min.) you are better off just leaving it alone and not causing extra work for yourself.

I dealt with storing a huge amount of motorcycles for the winter season at my old job as well as storing multiple cars over the years. Never once have I had an issue in the spring.
4 months i doubt the exhaust is going to rust enough to be worried about (just surface rust at worst)

Alternators start charging the battery around 1400RPM (which the rpms are at while cold started) maybe 2000rpm-3000rpm if tons / all of electrical accessories are on and putting a load on the alternator

since the cars parked in a underground parking lot i cant see why he couldnt drive it around the parking lot a few times after its warmed up. Trickle charger is a good idea though

As for your second paragraph... We are talking about a 09 civic here, not some old car / motor / motor bike engine / shit box. Starting the motor with cold oil (like people do every morning) is not going to hurt the bearings or put any excessive wear & tear starting the car once a week for 4 months, lol
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #46
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,438 Times in 981 Posts
please dont idle your car in an underground lot for 20-30m.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #47
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

my car is currently being stored for 6-8 months.

i use fuel stabilizer, have a tickle charger on it, and I do start it every couple of weeks.

2 years ago i left it for 9 months untouched and when i started it, the cylinder head cracked. I'm not going to leave it without running for a long time anymore.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #48
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
4 months is not that long.. I think it is best for you to figure out what your maintenance needs / state of the car.. then plan on what you need to before you store it. If you care about your car.

Eg I currently have my M5 in storage.. I am going to clean the fuel injectors.. so I removed them during the storage procedure, and replaced them with my own custom silicone replicas of them. Though I have been tempted more than once to remove the heads to run it through my CMM rig.

Also It is best to leave a checklist / what you have removed and leave on a clipboard and leave it on the steering wheel.. list you have removed that might cause bad things to happen etc.

Personally I won't start the car during storage. I also flushed my coolant and replaced it with distilled water before storage.. oil etc I didn't change... as for how much gas... when the time when gas tanks were metal, you are supposed to fill it up so no water vapor will rust the tank.. but the tank these days are plastic, so I don't think it matter as much. Oh I also removed my battery, check the state of spark plugs before I store it.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #49
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
If you have a 55% surcharge.. when will you actually be reinsuring the civic? You might want to think about just selling it since you're still taking larger amounts of depreciation every year given that it's an 09.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #50
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Man you guys go through some extensive measures for storing a car for such little time. My dads car sits in the garage for 350 days a year and it's 40 years old. All he uses is STA-BIL and disconnects the battery. He starts it up every month and maybe drives it 3 times a year. Tires have never had a flat spot and always starts up.
ProBoostin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: