REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   storing car for 4 months? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662467-storing-car-4-months.html)

cho 02-03-2012 11:15 PM

storing car for 4 months?

going to pick up a beater to save some cash for the next while

gonna un-insure my 09 civic and leave in the garage, going to put all seasons back on in a couple days then full up the gas?

is there anything specific i should do while car is in storage?

start now and then? drive around the block once in a while?

thx

Geoc 02-03-2012 11:23 PM

I'm just curious, how much more can you save from jumping from a Civic to a beater (say, a older civic), I mean these are pretty economical cars already.

cho 02-03-2012 11:27 PM

saving about 1200 in 4 months

smoothie. 02-03-2012 11:45 PM

are you planning on buying storage insurance?

Manic! 02-03-2012 11:49 PM

Put some STA-BIL, Fuel Stabilizer in the gas and put a trickle charger on the battery.

taylor192 02-03-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 7785196)
are you planning on buying storage insurance?

If its on his property then he shouldn't need it.

Manic! 02-03-2012 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7785208)
If its on his property then he shouldn't need it.

But is somthing happens to the car he is screwed. also it's dirt cheap. I think under $100 for a year.

Paradise240 02-03-2012 11:59 PM

^ Was $30 for 3 months, if thats any help.

taylor192 02-04-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoc (Post 7785166)
I'm just curious, how much more can you save from jumping from a Civic to a beater (say, a older civic), I mean these are pretty economical cars already.

Insurance alone he could save a ton. A beater only needs basic, that would save most people ~$1000/yr not paying for collision/comprehensive.

cho 02-04-2012 12:05 AM

car will be kept in underground garage, dont think anythings gonna happen do it

cho 02-04-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7785201)
Put some STA-BIL, Fuel Stabilizer in the gas and put a trickle charger on the battery.

can i grab all this from canadian tire?

NLY 02-04-2012 12:21 AM

Yup, don't forget to fill up the gas tank and then add fuel stabilizer. Go around the block so the fuel stabilizer can go where it needs to go.

When storing a vehicle, I usually put the car on jack stands and remove the tires. Same concept when I store my motorcycle on bike stands to avoid flat spots on the tires.

Remove the battery if you want and connect it to the trickle charger (most are automated so you just leave it plugged in and not have to worry about it)

skylinergtr 02-04-2012 12:29 AM

it a civic, its good to go.

Lomac 02-04-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7785216)

Considering how damn cheap storage insurance is, you'd be stupid not to get it.

And frankly, that's the whole point of insurance. You buy it hoping you'll never need it. But once you do, you're glad you have it.

Unfortunately, even underground garages aren't very secure. I've had my car broken into twice in two separate "secured" underground garages.

brute_4s 02-04-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7785216)

yeah cause nothing ever gets stolen in undergrounds :fullofwin:

i highly recommend you get storage insurance...like others said 10 dollars a month and if ur car gets stolen, hit, or anything its covered.

i wish i couldve got storage insurance on my downhill bike when its was stolen from an underground...instead i did some research and found out where the damn thief lived and what his number was... teehee

vafanculo 02-04-2012 09:50 AM

I bought comprehensive storage for $35 yesterday, which will last me until june. Covers theft, vandilism, etc. They will try and sell you collision, but for storage I highly doubt you need it.
Posted via RS Mobile

iam_dan 02-04-2012 10:10 AM

if you're storing it in your underground parking in your condo, your condo policy may require all vehicles parked in it to be insured. better check into that.
the comprehensive storage package is definitely worth it. its like...30cents a day.

Phil@rise 02-04-2012 11:31 AM

you dont need fuel stabilizer if its only 4 months. you wont need a charger either just start it every month and let it run for 20-30 minutes.

Hakkaboy 02-04-2012 11:38 AM

either put your car on jack stands or fill up the tires to 40psi
if you don't have an alarm or don't care, then just disconnect the battery
i don't bother with starting the car every month since you'll be having 3+ really bad cold starts as opposed to only 1 bad cold start

civicyvr 02-04-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7785303)
Considering how damn cheap storage insurance is, you'd be stupid not to get it.

And frankly, that's the whole point of insurance. You buy it hoping you'll never need it. But once you do, you're glad you have it.

Unfortunately, even underground garages aren't very secure. I've had my car broken into twice in two separate "secured" underground garages.

+1 . Also, some stratas don't permit a parked car unless it has some form of insurance.

I would just pump up the tires to reduce flat spotting and disconnect the battery if it's only 4 months.

lowside67 02-04-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7785170)
saving about 1200 in 4 months

How did you come up with this number? Between buying a beater and losing the tax on it, cancellation fees on your Civic, short term insurance on the new car, storing your Civic, unexpected repairs on the beater, etc. it seems highly unlikely that this is an accurate number.

Mark

TOPEC 02-04-2012 12:47 PM

i wouldnt put the car on jack stand in the even that it needs to be moved during an emergency, then ur cars GG

dbaz 02-04-2012 12:53 PM

similar situation for me, storing car for a year. figured i post here than start a similar thread. full tank w/ fuel stabilizer, car on jacks and battery disconnected. with storage insurance. anything im missing?

iam_dan 02-04-2012 12:57 PM

i dont know about accuracy, but if he chooses to get storage insurance, the 30 dollar cancellation fee will be waived (in that event, he might as well get at least a 3 month insurance because a 3 month storage is 30 dollars.)

he could opt for insurance/plate transfer, then the fee is i think 28 dollars. he would be reimbursed the difference of the insurance cost because the beater is most likely cheaper to insure. this way, he wont have to have road insurance for both vehicles and get dinged by short term insurance.

the tax and repairs is another story though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7785556)
How did you come up with this number? Between buying a beater and losing the tax on it, cancellation fees on your Civic, short term insurance on the new car, storing your Civic, unexpected repairs on the beater, etc. it seems highly unlikely that this is an accurate number.

Mark

civicyvr 02-04-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbaz (Post 7785601)
similar situation for me, storing car for a year. figured i post here than start a similar thread. full tank w/ fuel stabilizer, car on jacks and battery disconnected. with storage insurance. anything im missing?

Just make sure stabilizer cycled into fuel system. Good wash/cleaning in case there's salt residue. Also, moisture absorb inside car to prevent mold. Oil change if it's a nice car. Haha.

What are you storing?