REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Is the ticket worth fighting or just plead guilty? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662620-ticket-worth-fighting-just-plead-guilty.html)

z3german 02-06-2012 05:48 PM

Is the ticket worth fighting or just plead guilty?

First post so hello fellow revscene-ers! Been loving the forums for a long time but now going to contribute to possibly save my ass!

Its a ticket for running a stop sign. I am just doing this as a learning experience rather than me really feeling its unfair, i am more than willing to plead guilty and just ask for a reduction. My memory says i did a rolling stop (i know you still get a ticket for this), but after watching 0-7 seconds of the videos many times maybe i just tricked myself into thinking that i did a rolling stop because, lets all be honest, most people do roll through stops if they see well ahead that there is no danger.

Here is the video, just watch 0:00-0:07 for just the claimed infringement. Rest of the video is pretty boring.

Anyways here is the official notes from the cop

"In regards to your request for disclosure, please find attached a copy of Cst. (private) notes (front and back) along with a copy of the video obtained from the police vehicle number RI6xxx.

In case the notes on the ticket aren't clear, here is a short synopsis of them:

Writer was southbound on Kwantlen St. Suspect was in front of the writer, same direction of travel. While approaching the intersection of Kwantlen and Lansdowne, the suspect slowed down to about 15km/h but did not fully stop at the stop sign and drove over the painted solid stop line. The wheels were in constant movement. Suspect turned westbound on Lansdowne. Suspect was followed by writer to the traffic light at Lansdowne and Conney. Writer activated his emergency equipment. Suspect stopped about 10m away from the intersection. Drivers Licence and Insurance were valid. Violation Ticket Served. The stop line on Kwantlen was in good shape and clearly visible."

I very much appreciate all your input. Probably based on the input here will determine whether i fight it, or just plead guilty and ask for a reduction. Mucho appreciado muchacho.

Jgresch 02-06-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3german (Post 7787993)
lets all be honest, most people do roll through stops if they see well ahead that there is no danger.

There is no exceptions.... you can't roll through a stop sign.

Also, you did this with a police car behind you?
And the video clearly shows you not even coming close to a stop.

Marco911 02-06-2012 05:57 PM

A rolling stop is an oxymoron. Evidence seems pretty clear to me, what is there to dispute other than wasting the court's time?

s300ae 02-06-2012 05:58 PM

judging from the video... and speaking from experience, you rolled that sign

Matsuda 02-06-2012 05:58 PM

plead guilty, you didn't come to a complete stop

z3german 02-06-2012 06:01 PM

Thanks guys, lol just saw the video and thought it might have been possible.

taylor192 02-06-2012 06:10 PM

You're guilty, yet I'm surprised you got a ticket. That wasn't that bad a roll.

Death2Theft 02-06-2012 06:33 PM

The only hope you have is if the cop doesn't show up but if you plead not guilty and he shows up they might fuck u even harder than if u plead guilty.

z3german 02-06-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 7788030)
You're guilty, yet I'm surprised you got a ticket. That wasn't that bad a roll.

:/, yea cops just being cops. Probably a quota? Lately every morning i see cops waiting on top of the Aberdeen skytrain station ticketing usually old asian ladies trying to get a free ride to either lansdowne or richmond centre.

Its alright with me though (the ticket) I did what i did and i got to pay for the crime. Driving like 90% of the people on the road has its risks (speeding 5-10 over limit, rolling stops, U turns, etc.)

hirevtuner 02-06-2012 06:34 PM

you didn't stop, admit you are wrong and take the fine (maybe you can ask the judge for a reduction) and learn from this mistake and move on

mikey2781 02-06-2012 06:37 PM

rofl retarded cops FTL

cops like this is making it more dangerous for some drivers... i am looking in my rear view mirror every five seconds to make sure no retarded cops are nearby and give me a ticket like this.
what if i was looking in the rear view mirror and some dumb *** jumps in front of my car?

dont be a goody goody and tell me "oooo just follow the laws and you dont have to be aware of cops", fk that who goes 50 in a 50 zone?
who STOPS completely at 4AM at night when you CLEARLY see an empty road 2 miles long?

just sayin.

smaggs 02-06-2012 07:02 PM

If you want to be a dick, the cop did a "rolling stop" also did he not? No excuse if his lights weren't on

z3german 02-06-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaggs (Post 7788096)
If you want to be a dick, the cop did a "rolling stop" also did he not? No excuse if his lights weren't on

Saw that too, but dont think i have the cahonas to say that in court and hope to get away with it LOL

smaggs 02-06-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3german (Post 7788109)
Saw that too, but dont think i have the cahonas to say that in court and hope to get away with it LOL

Me neither :D lol

I'm with the others...just pity them into a reduction and pay it. I wish they gave these tickets out more often. I've had way too many close calls at a couple 4-ways near my house

Soundy 02-06-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey2781 (Post 7788057)
rofl retarded cops FTL

cops like this is making it more dangerous for some drivers... i am looking in my rear view mirror every five seconds to make sure no retarded cops are nearby and give me a ticket like this.

just sayin.

retarded drivers FTL - if you're not breaking the law, you don't need to be watching your mirror all the time. If you're aware of your surroundings, you don't need to be watching the mirror all the time.

just sayin.

firebird79_00 02-06-2012 07:35 PM

Always dispute a ticket, it doesnt matter how guilty you are. I know local cops as well as in Toronto who will tell you to dispute it no matter what. Worst comes to worst you plead guilty and get a reduced fine, or if you get lucky the cop doesnt show. I am disputing a recent ticket even though he let me off on 2 other infractions.

4444 02-06-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z3german (Post 7788109)

i'd hate to waste court time, as there is NO doubt you rolled it, BUT, i personally would go to court and just to make a stand for the fact that the police officer rolled it too - not that I'd expect to get a reduced fine (probably only got the minimum anyways) nor would i expect to get off from the ticket - but PURELY the principal - stop signs are stupid, i know apples to oranges, but round abouts are way better (but wouldn't work in grid system, also in richmond, would create gridlock at every intersection).

i just got back from the UK, driving there is a dream.

fight it just to voice your displeasure - we, as taxpayers, have the right & freedom to voice our opinion against whatever we want, but you'll still pay regardless

4444 02-06-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird79_00 (Post 7788128)
Always dispute a ticket, it doesnt matter how guilty you are. I know local cops as well as in Toronto who will tell you to dispute it no matter what. Worst comes to worst you plead guilty and get a reduced fine, or if you get lucky the cop doesnt show. I am disputing a recent ticket even though he let me off on 2 other infractions.

if you are already given the minimum ticket for the offense, you won't get any reduction, potentially extended payment terms

our systems are WAY too lax for allowing people (me included) to fight and win ALL my tickets - the system shouldn't be this easy, really sad (Especialy for more serious crimes)

z3german 02-06-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4444 (Post 7788133)
i'd hate to waste court time, as there is NO doubt you rolled it, BUT, i personally would go to court and just to make a stand for the fact that the police officer rolled it too - not that I'd expect to get a reduced fine (probably only got the minimum anyways) nor would i expect to get off from the ticket - but PURELY the principal - stop signs are stupid, i know apples to oranges, but round abouts are way better (but wouldn't work in grid system, also in richmond, would create gridlock at every intersection).

i just got back from the UK, driving there is a dream.

fight it just to voice your displeasure - we, as taxpayers, have the right & freedom to voice our opinion against whatever we want, but you'll still pay regardless

Hell yes im going to voice that out, you make an excellent point on principle! Man cops get me so fired up :gun:

RecklessNS 02-06-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey2781 (Post 7788057)
rofl retarded cops FTL

what if i was looking in the rear view mirror and some dumb *** jumps in front of my car?

dont be a goody goody and tell me "oooo just follow the laws and you dont have to be aware of cops", fk that who goes 50 in a 50 zone?
who STOPS completely at 4AM at night when you CLEARLY see an empty road 2 miles long?

just sayin.

let me guess your one of those guys who has their seat all the way down so you can barely see over the steering wheel while doing 80 in a 50 zone thinking your the shit kk man the reason we do complete stops is cause unexpected things might come up, when you do a complete stop if gives you a second to CLEAR THE INTERSECTION you know look left centre right then proceed especially when its at 4am you don't know if there is a drunk guy thats going to be running out in the middle of the street honestly buddy don't come on here acting like a badass encouraging people to use bad habits like yours.

just saying.

BTW OP hope everything pans out for you sucks that he got you for that but makes sense

gars 02-06-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaggs (Post 7788096)

I don't understand why people think police officers need to have their lights on to roll through the stop sign. There's nothing in the MVA about that.

Quote:

Exemption for emergency vehicles

122 (1) Despite anything in this Part, but subject to subsections (2) and (4), a driver of an emergency vehicle may do the following:

[...]

(b) proceed past a red traffic control signal or stop sign without stopping;
Motor Vehicle Act

Soundy 02-06-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird79_00 (Post 7788128)

This is why our courts are so backed up and drunk drivers are going free because their cases are taking too long to be heard. Congratulations on being part of the problem, asshole.

AstulzerRZD 02-06-2012 09:14 PM

Funny how I've been in the car, at the exact same intersection, at roughly the same time of day, and received the same ticket at that intersection...

z3german 02-06-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD (Post 7788255)
Funny how I've been in the car, at the exact same intersection, at roughly the same time of day, and received the same ticket at that intersection...

Wow... cops a jerk...

Soundy 02-06-2012 09:20 PM

Wow... drivers breakin' the law... gettin' tickets for it... what a shocker.