REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Fines for Jaywalking and not obeying pedestrian signals.

Finally I see the City of Vancouver enforcing this law..

Quoted from Metro, if anyone doesnt want to click on the link and i bolded the important part..

Metro - Police cracking down on jaywalkers, unsafe drivers

"Motorists, cyclists and pedestrians beware: Police are targeting jaywalkers and unsafe drivers with hefty fines.

The City of Vancouver launched its People are Fragile campaign on Tuesday. It is aimed at stopping and reducing pedestrian deaths and injuries as a result of preventable road collisions.

The multi-year program is intended in part to raise awareness of three behaviours that put people at risk: Pedestrians jaywalking, cyclists running stop signs and motorists failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks.

“A police officer will never forget having to tell someone that their loved one is dead because of a car accident,” said Staff Sgt. Earl Andersen of the Vancouver Police Department’s traffic section.

Const. Lindsey Houghton, spokesperson for the department, said police will be paying special attention to dangerous pedestrians and drivers.

The fine for pedestrians disobeying traffic or pedestrian signals, and for drivers failing to yield to pedestrians in crosswalks, is $167. The fine for jaywalking is $100.

In recent years, the city has vigorously expanded its bike-lane program, including a pair of controversial separated bike lanes through the downtown core.

That program aims to boost the number of new cyclists on the road, but it could also lead to a rise in fatalities simply because it will mean more people are on the road.

Coun. Heather Deal reminded cyclists to share the road and be aware of their surroundings.
"

For those that like to do the "Rolling Stop".. dont do it or be expected to pay $167 if caught and dont complain..
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I think a better policy is that if a pedestrians disobeys traffic or pedestrian signals and steps onto the road expecting the drivers to stop should be fair game as speedbumps.

Theres waaaay to many people that think they're invincible and that they can control traffic cause they're "tough"
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."

Last edited by Supafly; 02-08-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 AM   #3
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Now if only this is enforced on those wearing not just a suit and tie, but those in the DTES. Oh wait. That will never happen because this is just another City of Vancouver fundraising event.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Vancouver, the city where only the middle class has to follow the law.
minoru_tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I'm always reminded that drivers hate pedestrians, and pedestrians hate drivers, but both are united in hating cyclists.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
I think a better policy is that if a pedestrians disobeys traffic or pedestrian signals and steps onto the road expecting the drivers to stop should be fair game as speedbumps.

Theres waaaay to many people that think they're invincible and that they can control traffic cause they're "tough"
I would love to see this, more then once I've had to slam on the brakes for someone who's on their phone/ipod/mp3 and just blatantly walks into the street thinking.. "I'm a fucking boss. Everyone will stop for me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
Now if only this is enforced on those wearing not just a suit and tie, but those in the DTES.
I thought there was a 3 strikes your out kind of rule (don't quote me on it..) but if you get so many tickets, police arrest them and then we pay to give them 3 meals a day, a shelter and healthcare...
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka View Post
Vancouver, the city where only the middle class has to follow the law.
I've never heard this before,

but thinking about it, mind = blown,

100% true.

How are they going to stop all the bums walking across the street downtown in rushhour traffic?

gonna fine them?

Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Idea is good but won't last.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I think the worst is on No. 3 Road between Cambie and Lansdowne ... any given day of the week, there are pedestrians constantly standing by the side of the road (or even the island in the middle) waiting for traffic to slow down then jaywalk to the other side ...

or idiots who started crossing the crosswalk wihtout a care in the world once the traffic light turn green on their direction, while they didn't fucking noitce their cross light hasn't change beacuse of the left turn light on ...

only 2 cars made it through the light, I can tolerate to wait inline (well, barely ...), the worst is the cars in front of you made it through, the idiot started crossing on the same direction as you has made it to the far lane where you supposed to turn into, left turn light timed out, oncoming traffic started to move, drivers in cars that you blocked looking at you like wtf while more pedestrians jumped in front of you since their walking light are on ... now you are sitting in the middle of the intersection doing last minute negotiation with God while wondering if the last car ahead of you which made it through the intersection have timed the whole thing just to screw with you ... fffffuuuuuuuuu ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.

Last edited by buddy; 02-08-2012 at 08:55 AM.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #10

Kind of ironic that they changed (or are changing? I haven't been in Vancouver for 5 months) the speed limit on that section of Hastings because of all the jay walking, and now say they are cracking down on it...

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Meh i think its fair game, cars shouldnt slow down (to let cross) or speed up (to scare the shit out of them) and pedestrians they should judge distance and have a courteous (as to not scare the driver) distance for jaywalking. I know Hong Kong they wont slow down to let you cross, if anything they speed up and that teaches you to make sure you have PLENTY of room to jaywalk before you actually jay walk.

Maybe im just a jerk though...
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I hope they ticket at 10th and Ash street! Cyclists always blow the stop signs and 1/3 don't wear helmets!
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

If I jay walk and get a ticket, id laugh in the officers face and tear that shit up. I know the dangers, I don't need a ticket to tell me.
doma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #14

The best is when they ticket bikers at UBC and you see them get tickets for biking without a helmet...that always makes my day

My biggest pet peeve is cyclists who go trough stop signs
krazynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Idea is good but won't last.
Agreed! I'm not waiting for a fucking light the mainland. This is a busy city and people are causes when to cut through the street. Specially when there's no cars.
Can't remember when the last time I read about a person getting hit by a car. We know when to cross, we're not stupid!

It's a total money grab! In other countries you just need to watch when crossing. Fuck paying a fine!

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
i only jaywalk when there are no cars around, if cops pull me over for that i'm running..

good luck catching me

for people that jaywalk when cars are driving and expect them to stop then charge them
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
I am grateful grapefruit

this is from a report from ICBC from 2007.

Quote:
There were 1,861police attended traffic collisions that involved
pedestrians in 2007. There were 2,010 persons (including
occupants of motor vehicles) injured or killed in collisions
involving pedestrians, with pedestrians accounting for 96.6% of
the victims.
There were 1,868 pedestrians injured in traffic collisions during
2007, 2.5% less than in 2006 (1,915). The number of
pedestrians killed was 74.
Older persons appear to be at particular risk of death as
pedestrians. Of the 74 pedestrians killed, 31 (41.9%) were aged
61 and over, 5 (6.8%) were between 21 and 30, and 3 (4.1%)
were aged under 16. Of the 1,868 injured, 280 (15.0%) were
aged 61 and over, 377 (20.2%) were between 21 and 30, and
219 (11.7%) were under age 16.
Of all pedestrian collisions in 2007, 951 (53.0%) injury
collisions and 22 (32.4%) fatal collisions occurred at
intersections. Over half (64.7%) of all fatal
pedestrian collisions occurred at non-intersection locations. Of
these fatal collisions, 34.1% involved pedestrians crossing with
no signal and no marked crosswalk.
The top three contributing factors assigned to pedestrians (as a
percentage of total pedestrian collisions) were, in order of
magnitude:
(1) Pedestrian error/confusion (14.4%);
(2) Alcohol involvement (4.4%);
(3) Failing to yield to right of way (1.8%);
The top three contributing factors assigned to involved drivers
(as a percentage of total pedestrian collisions) were, in order of
magnitude:
(1) Driver inattentive (30.3%);
(2) Failing to yield to right of way (15.9%)
;
(3) Driver error/Confusion (13.8%);

I don't know why people focus so much on the DTES. A lot of people there obviously have mental health issues and/or drug addiction. I'm glad they put that speed zone there. If I were to hit someone there, it probably wouldn't be my fault, but it would, a) ruin my car, b) it would ruin my day, and c) it would give ICBC just another reason to try to f*** me.

it's a 3 block zone - and most of the people there can barely afford to pay for rent/food, you think they'll be able to pay for a ticket? Yeah, throw them in jail because they haven't paid, it will just eat up more of our tax dollars. Hit them with your car, oh wait, it just gives them a reason to go to the hospital and eat up more of our tax dollars.

I'm personally more mad at the guy in the suit and tie typing on his iPhone and not paying attention while crossing the street.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #18
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
i jaywalk all the time to cross the street from where i park to work, cus its too far to walk to the light. BUT i always wait til there's tons of room cus i myself hate when a jaywalker makes me hit the breaks

ps : did i mention i always jaywalk infront of cops ? i dont plan too..but vpd is like a block away lol but they have yet to fine me, but now i dont know if i wanna jaywalk Now im not saying i jaywalk to piss ppl off, its just that its faster to get to the other side , and like i said i always wait for there to not be any cars, and if there is one coming AFTER i started walking, ill run D:

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:29 AM   #19
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Now I'm gonna have to do a 360 check if i park across the street...
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #20
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
why is only vancouver doing this? should be all cities

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #21
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i see people jaywalk half a block from a cross walk or underneath a walkway overpass and im like especially when they have little kids with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
why is only vancouver doing this? should be all cities
probably because its such a huge problem in vancouver that it isn't seen as a waste of resources for police to enforce that law
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
How are they going to stop all the bums walking across the street downtown in rushhour traffic?

gonna fine them?

hahah "sir, the fact that you're drunk in public, half nude and on illegal drugs is fine. But here's a fine you cannot and will not pay because you crossed the street to get your drugs without first waiting for the light"
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
probably because its such a huge problem in vancouver that it isn't seen as a waste of resources for police to enforce that law
i'd have to disagree...in new york and other big cities the problem in the downtown core is waaaaaaaaaaaaay worse. And i think tehy enforce it even less. I really do think this is a money grab and a waste of police resources - for every buncha cops dedicated to this, is a buncha cops that won't be looking out for real crimes with real criminals. I don't even think the problem in vancouver is bad at all.

With that said, if stats show that this causes shitloads of deaths, i'm all for curbing it! Which it looks like it does...

fuuuu gonna have to stop jaywalking from bentall to royal centre now, that must be a hub for this
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #24
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
I jayrun......is that the same thing?

Its been said b4, people think there invincible when they are walking. Thats why when i have to cross a road. I run.
Posted via RS Mobile
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I personally find that a system where pedestrians yielding to cars more efficient.

After coming back from Hong Kong, they have a system where cars have right-of-way (At least it appeared so). Cars were able to freely turn on a green light and traffic was no longer being impeded. Although pedestrians would pile-up at the corner, it wouldn't be too long before we could walk (or wait for the pedestrian cross-light to signal us to cross). Furthermore, jaywalking was strictly enforced there, so less people would cross when the pedestrian cross-light was no longer white (or green, or whatever you want to call it).

Here in Vancouver, pedestrians don't really care what the pedestrian cross-light says. They cross when its white, or even when its amber. This prevents cars from being able to turn right, thereby impeding traffic and causing traffic jams. Pedestrians have just as much of an ability to prevent accidents. I often see pedestrians crossing the street at cross-walks but are completely oblivious to oncoming cars. Their rationale might be that they have right-of-way, but a little common sense would tell you that you shouldn't cross when cars are a few meters away from the cross-walk, and chances are, won't be able to stop in time for you.

I'm glad they're finally enforcing jaywalking here and continue to push more responsibilities onto pedestrians to prevent accidents.
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote