REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I'd like to see pedestrians who cross, even at legitamite crossings, ticketed if they walk right through with their head down and texting.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
This is honestly what goes through my mind in these situations...

When i'm driving and someone is Jay Walking...

When i'm the person Jay Walking...
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
I think the worst is on No. 3 Road between Cambie and Lansdowne ... any given day of the week, there are pedestrians constantly standing by the side of the road (or even the island in the middle) waiting for traffic to slow down then jaywalk to the other side ...
Few days ago guy on the island on No. 3, traffic is flowing (green light) he decides to be a "boss" steps out and stares down the minivan driving towards him, driver honks and PLOWS into him. Dude does a 360 spin in the air and lands on his back with his hands and legs in the air stiff like a dead rat.

Felt bad for the driver, looked like some significant damage.
dhawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #29
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Good luck enforcing this on Hastings and Main, pretty much zombie central

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i guess it's still okay to jaywalk on UBC campus..cause technically it's not City of Vancouver
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #31
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Was on Seymour today outside of The Bay and saw those words written on the street.

Considered walking to the end of the block to cross the street, but then was like and jaywalked right across the words.

Ooh, we got a badass over here!
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

pretty much everyone jaywalks but like someone mentioned above, i'd draw the line when a jaywalker makes a motorist brake and yield. i has no beef with all jaywalkers, only those that don't show courtesy.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #33
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post

Here in Vancouver, pedestrians don't really care what the pedestrian cross-light says. They cross when its white, or even when its amber.
Well, you have the red light, so you're supposed to yield. That walk/don't walk indicator has nothing to do with you. It doesn't give you the right to do anything.
goo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #34
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
I dont think this enforcement is MEANT only on the section of hasting and main st... City of Vancouver consist of more then that... lol theres a few comments about it...

I agree that people who cross the roads think they have the right of way, even court favours this when it goes to court, so thats why pedestrians think they own the road when they step out..

I hate when im making a turn, i stop at the stop line, look for people walkig at the cross walk, turn my head to check for traffic, then i roll out... few feet from the cross walk, some idiot runs across coz they are lazy to walk a few feet to the damn cross walk...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #35

^its because the article lists thr five most dangerous intersections and hastigs and main along with some other shady ones are at the top. so if theyrr enforcing based on stats they should be targetting those, but of course they wont be cause its a cash grab
Posted via RS Mobile
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkrussian View Post
^its because the article lists thr five most dangerous intersections and hastigs and main along with some other shady ones are at the top. so if theyrr enforcing based on stats they should be targetting those, but of course they wont be cause its a cash grab
Posted via RS Mobile
How do you enforce the jaywalking law at hastings and main? The fines are only a deterrence if you can afford to pay them. Short of putting a 6' fence all along Hastings street, there isn't much you can do to enforce that law there. I'm all for putting the speed zone there - because it will just reduce accidents there.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,764 Times in 906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
I think a better policy is that if a pedestrians disobeys traffic or pedestrian signals and steps onto the road expecting the drivers to stop should be fair game as speedbumps.

Theres waaaay to many people that think they're invincible and that they can control traffic cause they're "tough"
When I was in Beijing this past year one of the things I noticed were pedestrians would NOT fuck around and try to be tough. In fact it's so opposite there that cars don't give a fuck if it's their right of way or not they just go right through and you best not be in their way. Green light for you to cross the street? Best think twice before crossing because the car sitting at the Red will turn right anyways.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
How do you enforce the jaywalking law at hastings and main? The fines are only a deterrence if you can afford to pay them. Short of putting a 6' fence all along Hastings street, there isn't much you can do to enforce that law there. I'm all for putting the speed zone there - because it will just reduce accidents there.
totally agree. I was merely explaining to the guy why people in this thread are talking about that particular intersection - it's becuase this article says the law is based on stats of which intersections are the worst, and logically you would think they would do something there, but of course they won't, because it's hard to enforce and much easier to take money from people who have it
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: