REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Death Penalty (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662729-death-penalty.html)

MindBomber 02-08-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syndicated (Post 7790238)
I dont think theres much too fight about on this topic. Like the above posts I think we as citizens are tired of hearing repeat offenders getting released into public only to have them reconvict.

Cite examples of the repeat offenders you are referring too, please. Specifically, individuals who could have been sentenced to death for a crime, but were given a traditional sentence and when released committed another heinous crime.

drunkrussian 02-08-2012 03:26 PM

what if your father or son killed someone, went to prison for life and immediately changed his ways, and was an amazing person. Should he be released back to society? Maybe not. Should he be killed? I personally don't think so.

our justice system is messed up in that if you commit a serious crime you should not be out in a few years, but in BC you may be. With that said, I think no human should have the right to kill another human, and the death penalty is killing a human. With THAT said, jail overcrowding and taxpayer money going towards prisons can become a serious issue. But according to both this article and countlesssources i've seen, it's actually sometimes as expensive to kill someone - you have to go through so much hassle that 25+ years is what it normall ytakes in teh states to finally kill someone. that's 25+ years of your money for them to stay in jail that time. So what's the point?

I don't get why criminals can't have a choice. An option for assisted suicide would make everything so much easier.

MindBomber 02-08-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7790243)
What would 1000 new officers do? Theres no where to put the criminals they catch.

1000 Police officers to:
Man road blocks and catch drunk drivers...
Work with at risk teens and steer them down another path...
Create a presence to deter crime before it happens...

Hondaracer 02-08-2012 03:57 PM

whats wrong with the system is "life" is never "life" you kill a man in the first degree and get out in 20 years? hmm..

my #1 beef by far is with gun crime, people bitch and complain about shootings etc. cops continue to say that the public is at risk etc. yet people in possesion of loaded unregistered handguns are processed and released back into public to have a case thrown out or run out of time to be processed before they ever see any sort of REAL punishment?

imo any gun crime should be a 2 strike process, especially with handguns [considering no one commits crimes with long-rifles basically..] if your found with an unregistered hand gun, give them whatever, a month in jail, a week, whatever

if your found AGAIN with a unregistered handgun, 10 years

it's pretty simple and imo it wouldnt be that big of a deal to do, unless of course you are ok with people who have no other intention to use a handgun other than to cause bodily harm to another person running around time and time again

wstce92 02-08-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7790247)
what if your father or son killed someone, went to prison for life and immediately changed his ways, and was an amazing person. Should he be released back to society? Maybe not. Should he be killed? I personally don't think so.

our justice system is messed up in that if you commit a serious crime you should not be out in a few years, but in BC you may be. With that said, I think no human should have the right to kill another human, and the death penalty is killing a human. With THAT said, jail overcrowding and taxpayer money going towards prisons can become a serious issue. But according to both this article and countlesssources i've seen, it's actually sometimes as expensive to kill someone - you have to go through so much hassle that 25+ years is what it normall ytakes in teh states to finally kill someone. that's 25+ years of your money for them to stay in jail that time. So what's the point?

I don't get why criminals can't have a choice. An option for assisted suicide would make everything so much easier.

If it was premeditated murder. Aka my father, son, brother, best friend intentionally went out to kill someone. I don't care if he changed his ways before the cops even arrived to arrest him, I'd be the first one in line to put a bullet in his head.

If you're going to act like an animal, then society should treat you as one.

It infuriates me that people who murder, rape, molest, with intent; are treated so well.
The absolute minimum of their punishment should be what they've done to their victims.

Hondaracer 02-08-2012 04:50 PM

when you completely fuck up a persons life through a rape etc. that victim will never be the same

when you fuck up entire families via murder etc. those families will never be the same

some guy getting out after 15 years or less for heinous crimes probably doesnt think twice about actions that destroy other peoples entire lives.

Soundy 02-08-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 7790189)
We have to define the purpose of the death penalty: Is it a deterrent? or, is it a punishment?

I think research will show that using the death penalty is a deterrent does not work. I understand that promoting capital punishment as a punishment to the public can make it very attractive in some cases.

I wouldn't promote as either, specifically... but if you have the Olson or Pickton who will never have a hope of ever going free because of the sheer scope of their crimes and the extreme chance that they'll re-offend... what's the benefit to anyone (including them) of keeping them alive in a little brick cage?

Further, look at the recent bullshit around the "faint hope clause" and Olson insisting on his parole hearings despite there being less than zero chance of it ever being granted - the whole remainder of his existence seemed to be with the sole cause of slapping the families of his victims repeatedly in the face. How can anyone make the case that it was a good thing for him to be kept alive as long as he was? How much pain and suffering could have been spared dozens of families if he'd just been shanked in prison three decades ago?

It's not a point of punishment or retribution or deterrent, but simply a matter of doing it for the good of society.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great68 (Post 7790207)
I agree with this, from personal experience. A little while ago I found out that one of the employees in my company was convicted of manslaughter in his past for killing someone in a fight (Punches dude in face, dude goes down, hits head on ground and dies kind of thing).

I was pretty shocked and couldn't believe it when I heard it, because he didn't give me the slightest suspicion that he could have done something like that EVER. He's a pretty nice guy.

But again, this isn't the sort of thing that should ever be CONSIDERED for the death penalty. It shouldn't even enter into the conversation for anything short of the most extreme multiple-first-degree convictions. Even a single first-degree murder conviction shouldn't be enough unless it involves something truly horrendous (we're talking Hannibal Lecter horrendous).

MindBomber 02-08-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7790378)
I wouldn't promote as either, specifically... but if you have the Olson or Pickton who will never have a hope of ever going free because of the sheer scope of their crimes and the extreme chance that they'll re-offend... what's the benefit to anyone (including them) of keeping them alive in a little brick cage?

Further, look at the recent bullshit around the "faint hope clause" and Olson insisting on his parole hearings despite there being less than zero chance of it ever being granted - the whole remainder of his existence seemed to be with the sole cause of slapping the families of his victims repeatedly in the face. How can anyone make the case that it was a good thing for him to be kept alive as long as he was? How much pain and suffering could have been spared dozens of families if he'd just been shanked in prison three decades ago?

A serial killer does no good sitting in a little box waiting for death, but he also does no harm if sentenced without the possibility of parole. The cost of a DS trial and appeal is spared with a life sentence, and that can be put towards something worthwhile as I mentioned above.

Soundy 02-08-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7790417)
A serial killer does no good sitting in a little box waiting for death, but he also does no harm if sentenced without the possibility of parole.

Olson continued to taunt and torment his victims' families from prison, pretty much for the duration of his miserable life.

MindBomber 02-08-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7790453)
Olson continued to taunt and torment his victims' families from prison, pretty much for the duration of his miserable life.

How?

Outside of the parole hearings that were attended by the family, of course.

MelonBoy 02-08-2012 06:26 PM

I honestly think forced labour would be a better alternative then the death sentence.. Just make all those bastards in prison work for there food and living expenses... hell even make some profit from there labour.. (chinese sweat factory style)

Soundy 02-08-2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7790462)
How?

Outside of the parole hearings that were attended by the family, of course.

He wrote and released at least one book, and also had several letters published in newspapers through the years. And then there was the whole fiasco with him after several year in jail of taking money to tell the police where the bodies were...

Bouncing Bettys 02-08-2012 07:41 PM

No justice system in the world has ever and likely will never sufficiently demonstrate a 100% fool-proof system. Wrongful convictions happen all the time. People are imperfect and will get things wrong. I guess I just value life too greatly to ever support the death penalty. If even one innocent person is put to death, its not worth it to me.

FishTaco 02-08-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove (Post 7790173)
one way ticket to afghanistan or Israel,

Thatl learn em

:seriously:

drunkrussian 02-08-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glove (Post 7790173)
one way ticket to afghanistan or Israel,

Thatl learn em

israel is quite nice and leads the free world in many things such as quality of education
Posted via RS Mobile

Phil@rise 02-08-2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7790249)
1000 Police officers to:
Man road blocks and catch drunk drivers...
Work with at risk teens and steer them down another path...
Create a presence to deter crime before it happens...

deterence requires consequence

would havin four pushover parents while growin up kept you from lying more then two that would kick your ass for doing so?

MindBomber 02-08-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7790746)
deterence requires consequence

would havin four pushover parents while growin up kept you from lying more then two that would kick your ass for doing so?

A parenting example doesn't really work, when a child is growing up they have a relatively narrow understanding of acceptable behavior and look to an authority figure to provide them with consequences. At that point, deterrence works. A criminal understands the difference between right and wrong and has made the conscious decision to ignore it, regardless of the consequences.

Texas has one of the highest crime rates in the United States, it also executes hundreds of people per year. Do you think having capital punishment as a deterrent prevents crime in Texas?

ilovebacon 02-09-2012 02:10 AM

No one deserves to die, they just gotta pay the price thru jail time imo. You don't see cops brutality get any punishments beside suspended with or without paid. What if they threw some guy to the chair who was 100% innocent but didn have enuff evidence?? Like that person that they threw in jail but let him go afterwards finding out that he's not at fault
Posted via RS Mobile

Psykopathik 02-09-2012 02:23 PM

how about this as a way of a death penalty....lock him in a plexiglass room with no food and and a knife. he can either kill himself or slowly starve to death, or maybe press a button and gas chamber himself. that way no one's hands get dirty.

achiam 02-09-2012 08:05 PM

I think the death penalty should be carried out immediately (no death row), but only if guilt is absolutely, totally proven - e.g. a gangster assassin, obviously serial killers, and other cases where the guilt is like 1000%.

For career criminal idiots who commit other lesser crimes, we need to do away with the correctional system and build forced labor death camps in the Yukon tundra 2000 miles away from the nearest town where escape would mean obvious freezing to death. Here the inmates would be strapped to an assembly line making Blackberries and miscellaneous goods sold at Canadian Tire 12 hours/day in exchange for food while listening to non stop government propaganda blasting from loudspeakers. The idea would be to completely destroy their psychological health and convert them into drones as obedient as my iRobot Roomba vacuum, which is pretty fucking useless, I might add.

Soundy 02-09-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by achiam (Post 7791884)
For career criminal idiots who commit other lesser crimes, we need to do away with the correctional system and build forced labor death camps in the Yukon tundra 2000 miles away from the nearest town where escape would mean obvious freezing to death. Here the inmates would be strapped to an assembly line making Blackberries and miscellaneous goods sold at Canadian Tire 12 hours/day in exchange for food while listening to non stop government propaganda blasting from loudspeakers. The idea would be to completely destroy their psychological health and convert them into drones as obedient as my iRobot Roomba vacuum, which is pretty fucking useless, I might add.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YFbXKOW1No...River+Kwai.jpg